Going to overhaul a Harmony

guitarcapo

• Members

Wow! what a thread! While I think I do understand exactly what transpired here, I will resist the temptation to explain my version and possibly re-light the embers.

I will say, "welcome to the forum Sean!" And it sure is nice to hear from you again Gary. Don't be strangers. Agreeing or not, we are the poorer without your input.

This will certainly not be the end of these rollicking threads (us all being humans), but lets pick up the pieces and soldier on. This forum is still the greatest!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow! what a thread! While I think I do understand exactly what transpired here, I will resist the temptation to explain my version and possibly re-light the embers.

I will say, "welcome to the forum Sean!" And it sure is nice to hear from you again Gary. Don't be strangers. Agreeing or not, we are the poorer without your input.

This will certainly not be the end of these rollicking threads (us all being humans), but lets pick up the pieces and soldier on. This forum is still the greatest!

It's unfortunate that this rebuild thread was turned into a tool to air dirty laundry, seek vengeance and vent hurt feelings.

The human ego is a delicate thing.

• Members

Yeah! Attack the new guy who dares to disagree with the big post count long timer with all the opinions that must be agreed with! This is what makes HCAG Great!

We would be lost without your valuable insight (and endless Zager trolling).

• Members

Yeah! Attack the new guy who dares to disagree with the big post count long timer with all the opinions that must be agreed with! This is what makes HCAG Great!

Jeez, I just like old jumbo Sovereigns and thought it was nice to see someone patch up one of them to playing condition. All the arguments here are just going over my head while I'm looking at a kinda nice old guitar. Maybe if it was Maybelle Carters L5 being worked on it'd be worth all the debate, but it's an old Harmony that a master luthier probably wouldn't waste a minute on resurrecting anyway.

So! how much for a fixed-up 1260 Sovereign these days?

• Members
It's unfortunate that this rebuild thread was turned into a tool to air dirty laundry, seek vengeance and vent hurt feelings.

The human ego is a delicate thing.

Yep, it's a shame you felt the need to pipe up, spread the word and vent regardless of the true content of my posts. Egocentric and vengeful are traits I've never experienced and I'm as thick skinned as they come, but I'm certain you'll be able to fill everyone in with information concerning such sensations from a personal perspective. You're that kind of guy. ;)

I've said my piece without any inclination toward resorting to ego trips, yet you still have to let your mouth/typing run ahead of what remains of the grey matter between your ears.

• Members

Jeez, I just like old jumbo Sovereigns and thought it was nice to see someone patch up one of them to playing condition. All the arguments here are just going over my head while I'm looking at a kinda nice old guitar. Maybe if it was Maybelle Carters L5 being worked on it'd be worth all the debate, but it's an old Harmony that a master luthier probably wouldn't waste a minute on resurrecting anyway.

So! how much for a fixed-up 1260 Sovereign these days?

A lot depends on the overall condition, what needs doing and what you wish to have done, but generally a two to three days labour, plus potential shop time for the work laid forth in this thread. The timescale and cost depend upon who is doing the work and what realistically needs to be done, so check locally and I'm sure figures can be arrived at.

Much of the "debate" concerned certain craft operations and observations surrounding the potential risk of producing a poorly voiced instrument after changing the soundboard bracing and whether it would be proper practice to retail an unvoiced instrument after such work had been carried out. The choices were;

1. Voiced/profiled bracing = Something that sounds to it's fullest potential.

2. Un-voiced/un-profiled bracing = Something that sounds like a cardboard box stuffed with old socks or overly bright. Two extremes dependant on the overall bracing mass:soundboard relationship.

Nothing to do with ego trips, but focussed on potential end results. I hope this helps.

• Members

Plus there's the risk that some idiot on here will inevitably pipe in with snide remarks concerning their playing ability or skills and I don't want them to have to go through that.

Yep, it's a shame you felt the need to pipe up, spread the word and vent regardless of the true content of my posts. Egocentric and vengeful are traits I've never experienced and I'm as thick skinned as they come, but I'm certain you'll be able to fill everyone in with information concerning such sensations from a personal perspective. You're that kind of guy.
;)

I've said my piece without any inclination toward resorting to ego trips, yet you still have to let your mouth/typing run ahead of what remains of the grey matter between your ears.

Wow, posters attacking the ability and skills of others? Capo's skills were attacked and his religion and treatment of women were brought into question by you.

• Members

Well well well!

Guitarcapo does actually do some guitar work.

But before you all get on your knees to worship the Great Luthier, looky what I dredged up from the bottom of the cesspool!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2385660

30 pages and 585 posts in all its glory. Guitarcapo, and one of his alternate identities did us proud, don't you think? Any wonder real luthiers don't like to frequent this place?
:wave:

• Members

Wow, posters attacking the ability and skills of others? Capo's skills were attacked and his religion and treatment of women were brought into question by you.

Attack me anytime and I couldn't care less, but attack my children or my concerns for them and you're treading extremely dodgy ground my big fat and ugly friend. We lost a child 20 years ago and I'm definitely not about to place my remaining children at risk from the likes of closet minded idiots like you or anyone else for that matter.

Take this further and I will ensure your piss poor attitude toward others is as widely known as physically possible.

You truly are taking the piss by taking my comments and quoting them wholely out of context. His skills are there for all to see and the vast majority of long term forumites know he's a derisive bigot when referring to women. Do you really want me to pull quotes from the threads in which he comments? His earlier affirmation with regard being a church goer with his wife tends to fly in the face of everything else he's stood for on the forum.

• Members

Attack me anytime and I couldn't care less, but attack my children or my concerns for them and you're treading extremely dodgy ground my big fat and ugly friend. We lost a child 20 years ago and I'm definitely not about to place my remaining children at risk from the likes of closet minded idiots like you or anyone else for that matter.

Take this further and I will ensure your piss poor attitude toward others is as widely known as physically possible.

You truly are taking the piss by taking my comments and quoting them wholely out of context. His skills are there for all to see and the vast majority of long term forumites know he's a derisive bigot when referring to women. Do you really want me to pull quotes from the threads in which he comments? His earlier affirmation with regard being a church goer with his wife tends to fly in the face of everything else he's stood for on the forum.

More personal attacks and insults. No surprise.

I'm sorry you lost a child, but my post had nothing to do with it. You don't want to be attacked but you sure as hell enjoy attacking others.

His relious beliefs and attitude towards women don't have anything to do with this thread.

You are a funny guy.

• Members

More personal attacks and insults. No surprise.

I'm sorry you lost a child, but my post had nothing to do with it. You don't want to be attacked but you sure as hell enjoy attacking others.

His relious beliefs and attitude towards women don't have anything to do with this thread.

You are a funny guy.

You read far more into what I've said than I could ever have imagined.

I don't want sympathy from you or anyone else, but I do expect proper respect concerning my children. This includes anything I've said or may mention regarding them. Your previous offering actually referenced something I'd said in connection with concerns for my children's well being. Your latest attack concerning the above was totally uncalled for. It had nothing to do with this or any other discussion and I would never pass ill advised remarks surrounding your's or anyone's feelings for their children.

Attack me, but not my children. I know you're a parent and you should know and understand precisely where I'm coming from on this. Okay Hudman316?

Re-read the thread and I believe the original religion comment - made by someone else - referenced GC having mentioned someone being his enemy. In all honesty I've never thought of anyone as an enemy unless wishing/prepared to inflict violence or death. Therefore - by definition - "enemy" was an ill advised turn of phrase from a self confessed church goer. I've every respect for others religious belief's, but have a hard time understanding genuinely religious individuals voicing such views surrounding others they've simply debated with.

You're not a funny guy, but you are swiftly enforcing the point I'd made several months ago concerning your poor attitude toward others whilst hiding behind a pseudonym.

• Members

You read far more into what I've said than I could ever have imagined.

I don't want sympathy from you or anyone else, but I do expect proper respect concerning my children. This includes anything I've said or may mention regarding them. Your previous offering actually referenced something I'd said in connection with concerns for my children's well being. Your latest attack concerning the above was totally uncalled for. It had nothing to do with this or any other discussion and I would never pass ill advised remarks surrounding your's or anyone's feelings for their children.

Attack me, but not my children. I know you're a parent and you should know and understand precisely where I'm coming from on this. Okay Hudman316?

Re-read the thread and I believe the original religion comment - made by someone else - referenced GC having mentioned someone being his enemy. In all honesty I've never thought of anyone as an enemy unless wishing/prepared to inflict violence or death. Therefore - by definition - "enemy" was an ill advised turn of phrase from a self confessed church goer. I've every respect for others religious belief's, but have a hard time understanding genuinely religious individuals voicing such views surrounding others they've simply debated with.

You're not a funny guy, but you are swiftly enforcing the point I'd made several months ago concerning your poor attitude toward others whilst hiding behind a pseudonym.

I didn't attack you or your kids. I'm sorry you took it that way but you are wrong.

I never said I was a funny guy and I don't care what you think about me. You don't know me.

You like to throw around personal insults. GuitarCapo's religion and personal feelings about the opposite sex have nothing to do with this thread. You were off base mentioning it and I did not take it out of context. How in the world does religion factor into repairing a guitar?

My weight, looks and intelleigence (or lack there of as you claim) have nothing to do with this thread. Your grade school insults are silly.

You were rude and attacked an amateur builder because you don't like him - not because of his work. I pointed it out.

I'm not hiding from anyone nor am I afraid of you posting negative comments on my YouTube page (like you did earlier today). My YouTube address (Hudman316) was no secret.

I'm not like you. I don't base my self worth on the opinions of strangers. You may be a great luthier. I don't care because your attitude sucks. You can call me names and attack me all you want because your opinion means nothing to me.

• Members
I didn't attack you or your kids. I'm sorry you took it that way but you are wrong.

I never said I was a funny guy and I don't care what you think about me. You don't know me.

You like to throw around personal insults. GuitarCapo's religion and personal feelings about the opposite sex have nothing to do with this thread. You were off base mentioning it and I did not take it out of context. How in the world does religion factor into repairing a guitar?

My weight, looks and intelleigence (or lack there of as you claim) have nothing to do with this thread. Your grade school insults are silly.

You were rude and attacked an amateur builder because you don't like him - not because of his work. I pointed it out.

I'm not hiding from anyone nor am I afraid of you posting negative comments on my YouTube page (like you did earlier today). My YouTube address (Hudman316) was no secret.

I'm not like you. I don't base my self worth on the opinions of strangers. You may be a great luthier. I don't care because your attitude sucks. You can call me names and attack me all you want because your opinion means nothing to me.

You assume a great deal and know very little, but whoever posted something on your Youtube page definitely wasn't me or anyone I know. :lol:

• Members

Gary, you seem like a good guy and all and being a woodworker, I certainly can respect you for your knowledge in luthiery. You made a post about not wanting your kids to post their playing here in fear that some schmuck would slam their abilities. That's a point well taken and I agree in that I'd hope nobody here would EVER do that unless the player ASKED for the critique.

Your point is valid and exactly the point that I was trying to convey earlier. However, if we substitute critiquing playing abilities with critiquing ones workmanship that's exactly what happened with GC.

If GC started this post saying "hey, look at my work and critique it", Sean's comments would be approiate. That's not the case here and I think deep down, you know it.

An other way to look it this would be if maybe one of your kids posted a tune and somebody flat out said it was poor or careless and justified saying so because your kid might be getting paid to play the song. Would you really condone that behavior? I would hope you wouldn't. Sean's comments may not appear rude or harsh to you, but to most of us they did. I don't know GC any better than I know you so I have no stake in any of this, but thought those comments were way out of line considering the spirit in which this thread was written.

I don't know... maybe a bit of language barrior, maybe not, but to me his first few posts were very rude when you look at this in that light.

Maybe give that a thought.

• Members

You assume a great deal and know very little, but whoever posted something on your Youtube page definitely wasn't me or anyone I know.
:lol:

Sure Gary, you mention my YouTube handle the same day a guy from England opens a new YouTube account and places a comment on my page.

I give you an A+ for effort.

Archived