Going to overhaul a Harmony

guitarcapo

• Members

I got this Harmony Sovereign Jumbo on Ebay a while ago. It's got the typical loose neck in the pocket and high action. It needs the treatment. I figured I'd snap some photos of the work.

DSC06080.jpg

Here's the victim. A Harmony Sovereign 1260. The finish isn't bad but the action is off. It came with nice tuners that replaced the originals. I got a decent deal on this one. $150 including shipping.

DSC06081.jpg

DSC06086.jpg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DSC06088.jpg

oof...Action pretty high. I don't want to play slide guitar with this thing.....

DSC06091.jpg

....the back is nice...no cracks

DSC06093.jpg

I'm always raving about these backs. One piece quartersawn Honduran mahogany. I never really liked how the tinted shellac they used never showed off the wood well. I'm probably going to refinish the back and sides to fix that and get rid of the scratched after I'm done. I'll leave the top alone though. I like the sunburst and it's rare on these models.

• Members

DSC06087.jpg

The saddle is almost down to nothing. I'll be replacing that with ivory once the neck is reset. I'm hoping to get it up taller so there will be lots of break angle for better tone and years of time before another is needed.

DSC06094.jpg

This shows the inside a bit. No center seam. Looks like they washcoated some shellac inside for added measure. Hide glue for the back braces.

• Members

Now time to take the back off. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. I have to repair some loose braces. I also plan on installing a pretty invasive pickup system in this guitar and replace the ladder bracing with X bracing. I also will use the back off as a way of creating a new neck angle when the back is glued back on. Anyway...time to break out the Xacto knife:

DSC06113.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

....off with the binding

DSC06115.jpg

...in goes the knife

• Members

DSC06167.jpg

DSC06168.jpg

DSC06169.jpg

I'm getting the side ready for the pickup too. Reinforcing the sides to accpet the electronics.....

Notice I glued the necl on already after cleaning up the dovetail area....I'll reset the neck when I glue the back on. The dovetail just needs to be glued in solid.

Archived