Heritage is in Michigan;

Washburn is in Illinois.

All are
forced-union states

Peavey is another guitar and electronics company, located in the

right-to-work state of Mississippi.

Since 2009, Peavey has been the target of multiple lawsuits filed by

a competitor, MUSIC Group, which alleges that Peavy products fail to

meet federal safety and emissions standards.

This is what its all about. Always follow the money. Gibson is anti union beyond belief.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tennessee is a
right-to-work state

Fender, Taylor, Rickenbacker, Danelectro, Carvin, MusicMan, and ESP

are in California;

Spector is in New York;

Martin is in Pennsylvania;

Guild, Ovation, and Hamer are in Connecticut;

Alvarez is in Missouri;

B.C. Rich is in Kentucky;

Heritage is in Michigan;

Washburn is in Illinois.

All are
forced-union states

Peavey is another guitar and electronics company, located in the

right-to-work state of Mississippi.

Since 2009, Peavey has been the target of multiple lawsuits filed by

a competitor, MUSIC Group, which alleges that Peavy products fail to

meet federal safety and emissions standards.

Are you kidding me? Where did you get the information that they are "Forced Union States"? Nobody is forced to hire union. Just look at wal-mart... no union there and they're all over Illinois.

• Members

I hope this time it is all sorted out. Having this hang over your company is no good for Gibson or its employees. They should only storm in guns blazing if they have empirical proof of Gibson's guilt. This action could ruin them.

"guns blazing"?

C'mon, they were holstered. As I understand it, feds are required to pack heat in these circumstances. Gibson's PR machine has created a lot of hysteria around this case. It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone has to go on the record.

• Members

Yes... the smart money says wait and see what happens in court. The WSJ article was good, IMHO... it is true that the laws are there for a good reason. But it is also true that governments (including ours) sometimes go overboard, aka nuts, with stuff like this. The Patriot Act has been used almost 2,000 times, and only 15 of those times were for terrorism, supposedly.

• Members

Yes... the smart money says wait and see what happens in court. The WSJ article was good, IMHO... it is true that the laws are there for a good reason. But it is also true that governments (including ours) sometimes go overboard, aka nuts, with stuff like this. The Patriot Act has been used almost 2,000 times, and only 15 of those times were for terrorism, supposedly.

Agree completely. The Patriot Act, rendition, Gitmo - there may be a need for some of these measures in extreme cases; but more than 1,000 uncharged detainees have gone through Gitmo; another 1,700 held at Bagram with no charges filed. Thousands of American citizens wiretapped without court orders, and hundreds of citizens tossed in the slammer for suspicion, and don't get me started on the No Fly List.

It makes holding some ebony and rosewood in customs look like small potatoes. Still, Gibson has yet to dispute that there was bogus paperwork hiding the fact that the shipments in question defied the Lacy Act. According to the warrant, there were also more than ten recent shipments that were suspected of also having bogus paperwork. That was the reason for the raids - to see if the wood was raw stock or finished fretboards.

BTW, the US has hundreds of similar treaties requiring exported goods to be finished to certain standards - thus protecting American jobs - prior to export.

• Moderators

An Update from WSJ:

Though no charges have been filed, Gibson factories have been raided twice, most recently last week, by federal agents who say ebony exported from India to Gibson was "fraudulently" labeled to conceal a contravention of Indian export law.

Henry Juszkiewicz, chief executive officer of the closely held company, said in an interview that a broker probably made a mistake in labeling the goods but that the sale was legal and approved by Indian authorities.

Gibson's predicament, which raises concerns for musical instrument makers and other importers of wood, illustrates the pitfalls of complying with U.S. law while dealing with middlemen in faraway countries whose legal systems can be murky.

The law ensnaring Gibson is the Lacey Act of 1900, originally passed to regulate trade in bird feathers used for hats and amended in 2008 to cover wood and other plant products. It requires companies to make detailed disclosures about wood imports and bars the purchase of goods exported in violation of a foreign country's laws.

Leonard Krause, a consultant in Eugene, Ore., who advises companies on complying with the Lacey Act, is telling clients they should hire lawyers in countries where they obtain products. "How many people know the statutes in India?" Mr. Krause said. "The net effect is that it raises everybody's cost of doing business." {my bold}

This is going to ripple through the entire stringed instrument manufacturing field, as well as oboes and clarinets, and ultimately, will result in draconian documentation requirements, and legal fees. I am all for protecting the environment, but there has to be a more sane, logical and cost effective means of accomplishing the same goals. From what we can gather, it is an issue with the Indian Government's documentation that caused this latest uproar, not specifically the Lacey Act, and perhaps the Feds needed to take a lower profile approach?

• Members

"guns blazing"?

C'mon, they were holstered. As I understand it, feds are required to pack heat in these circumstances. Gibson's PR machine has created a lot of hysteria around this case. It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone has to go on the record.

Figuratively speaking.

• Members

Are you kidding me? Where did you get the information that they are "Forced Union States"? Nobody is forced to hire union. Just look at wal-mart... no union there and they're all over Illinois.

I wasn't aware that Wal Mart was in the manufacturing business, which is what Gibson is. Please enlighten me. :wave:

• Members

Maybe, but then why can I get a USA Strat for 800 bucks when a LP costs 2000? Or a Canadian (not exactly a 3rd world country where stuff is usually MORE expensive) Seagull that plays and sounds great for 500 bucks when a Taylor costs 1800? I'll tell you why: The same reason people will pay 20k for a Harley when a 14k Kawi or Honda (both also made in the US) will be as good or better bike. It's branding and hype, pure and simple.

in the case of a strat ,, just look how the thing is made. Much cheaper wood for the body and a bolt on neck. Leo designed the fender to be a fast build. Gibson is a set neck guitar. They also curly maple capped tops with binding.

All one has to do is look at the products and what it takes to make them. for sure gibson gets more because of the fact that hey have a brand and a name. Heritage build a guitar thats pretty well a gibson ,,,,they aint cheap either.

• Members

I think PRS leaked some details to teh Feds and keep trolling Gibson. The Feds going after Gibson again like this was total BS.

What's even more funny is the Feds can just misplace/lose/steal a couple hundred billion dollars and nothing comes of it. Mis-stamp some wood for a guitar neck and its a fed raid.

Gibson, Suhr, PRS are all high price guitars. If you can afford one buy it or save up. Strats are cheaper because they are easy to make. IDK look at Suhr superstrats and tell me why they cost more than a Fender or many Gibsons.

Archived