What guitar is Chuck Berry playing in this pic?

J.B. Lee

• Members

I know Chuck has always been a Gibson man, but when I came across this picture it just looked...wrong. The horns seem too elongated and pointy to be a Gibson, and I think the pickup selector is on the upper horn. I'd hate to think that Chuck has fallen on such hard times that he had to sell off his 345!

By the way: this scan is from a performance on "Late Show with David Letterman" from the summer of 1997, and it's not mine so I can't do nuthin' about the quality. This is the time Dave flew in the entire audience from St. Louis, and you can see on the right that the New York city skyline has been temporarily replaced behind Dave's desk. This explains how Chuck got such a high profile booking (he's from St. Louis).

5-2c.jpg

• Members

That looks to me like a Gibson - but a custom es446 - a smaller-body version of the 335/345/355 that Chuck always played. Chuck was never very sentimental about guitars, he used to buy a new one every couple of years and write it off on his taxes.

• Members

What ever happened to the videos of him and ladies using the bathroom on him. They used to be all over the web. I like Chuck, but that sure changed the light I saw him in. The Infamous line "Give daddy his breakfast."

• Members

CHUCK BERRY IN ONE MINUTE

* As a teenager, his main interests were girls and photography; happily sometimes the two would coincide.

* Was arrested for having cameras in the female toilets of his Southern Air restaurant.

* Spent three years of his youth in Algoa Reformatory for armed robbery, then 120 days in prison camp for tax evasion.

* Singalongs of "My Ding-a-ling" were popular with fellow prisoners' children during visiting hours.

* Received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award in 1984.

* "Johnny B Goode" has been covered by almost 400 artists.

* He will only perform an encore after negotiation for extra payment.

• Moderators

Originally posted by guitarmook

That looks to me like a Gibson - but a custom es446 - a smaller-body version of the 335/345/355 that Chuck always played. Chuck was never very sentimental about guitars, he used to buy a new one every couple of years and write it off on his taxes.

446s are single cutaway...gibson_es446.html

The headstock looks like a Heritage...or maybe a Hamer? Hard to tell from that shot...

• Members

Looks like it might be the old ES-336 which came out before the CS-336. It had a slightly different body shape, flat rather than arched back and a straight pull headstock. They pop up on eBay from time to time and sell prety cheap because most people want the newer CS-336.

es-336cs.jpg

It's really hard to tell from that photo. It might be a Heritage Prospect:

Prospect%20standard%20ant%20sb.jpg

Although the pickguard doesn't look like a Heritage pickguard.

Of course Chuck is known for using 335/345/355 and so it may just be a variation of that. It may be the angle and/or Chuck that makes it look small. Here's a picture from '98 that shows him with a 335/345/355 (not sure which model that is):

chuck.gif

• Members

Originally posted by JoeBoy

* He will only perform an encore after negotiation for extra payment.

More importantly, he won't go onstage until he's paid, cash, upfront, no exceptions.

There's an old story about a promoter calling all over town to find the manager of his bank. Seems he showed up to Chuck's dressing room with payment for the first show of a two show engagement, expecting to pay for the second show out of the first show's proceeds. Chuck wouldn't go on until the entire night's fee was in his hands. :D

That's how some people operate after being screwed to the wall by promoters, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

Whatever he's playing in the picture, it has a trapeze tailpiece. That doesn't count out the 336 because the custom shop would make any changes Chuck wanted and, it may very well have been available with the trapeze, irregardless of who wanted it.

To paraphase "Dr. Nick Riviera":

"Who knew that irregardless meant regardless?!?"

/just teasing.

//live in a grammar "glass house".

///only throwing grammar nerf-balls.

Archived