What are your three favorite...

...music related magazines, and why do they make your list? And what one thing about each do you wish was different, and how would you change it if you were "editor for a day"?

They don't have to be recording related magazines - it could be a instrument specific magazine, a business trade or rag or a recording related magazine - as long as it's primary focus is somehow music related. Pick any three...

What do you like to read? :)

• Members

Sound on Sound

I like the way they cover stuff and make me lust after it, even when I know I have no need or time for it. They come across as having passion for the stuff they cover which I like.

Thing I would add (not change but add): More musicianship articles especially applied to newer technologies

Keyboard magazine

I read this mainly because I play keyboards and it's readily available, but I wish it had a little more heart.

Things I'd change: Come across as having more passion for the subject.

http://www.filmsound.org

Not really a mag, but, insane amounts of information on a densely packed website

Things I'd change: better organization

... and the of course that addicting non-stop circus called Harmony Central.

• Members

I read Guitar One and Guitar World - They are basically the same magazine with a slightly different flavor to each. I regret that I don't take full advantage of the lessons, however I do take away a lot from the gear reviews, interviews, technical columns and such. They tend to focus on hard rock and metal which is also my preference.

Lastly, I read Revolver, which is like Hit Parader or similar. Just a magazine that covers heavy music.

Haven't thought much about what I'd change if I were editor... I actually really have no complaints at all.

I picked up a copy of Recording, and liked it, but not as much as I hoped. I'm actually in the market to subscribe to a good recording mag, if anyone has suggestions.

• Members

Im subscribing to:

EQ

Mix

Tape op and..

Performing songwriter.

I sometimes purchase Sound on sound. and may give up Mix in favor of it. However, it seems more nearly a compilation of product reviews and contains a bit less of the other forms of content found in the other mags.

Reason mix is less relevant to me today: Im interested in music/audio production not sound for picture or audio/video post-production.

Mix is increasingly devoting pages to the latter.

EQ, mix, tape op and SOS all fill about the same role: Keeping me informed of new gear, teaching me some recording/mixing techniques, giving me a persoective on other peoples rigs and work practices and hearing from the big boys in their own words about how some of my favorite commercial music was produced.

I hope EQ doesnt go totally to an "inside the box" orientation.

Tape op is just all info no fluff.

Performing Songwriter is different/unique. Its all about keeping me inspired to write. I would not give this one up.

Soooo, if you force me to choose my favorite 3:

EQ

Tape op

Performing songwriter

• Members

Tape Op - this is the only recording-related magazine that I find myself reading from cover to cover. This magazine is priceless, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The Wire - I get to hear about music that I am not ordinarily exposed to, a wonderful thing. There are a lot of arcane references, particularly in the reviews, that put some people off (myself included), but other than that, it's an interesting read for people who are interested in odd, experimental, and left-of-center music.

The third choice becomes a little more difficult because it largely depends on my mood, so I'm gonna cheat and call it a tie between:

1. Guitar Player

2. Rolling Stone - I can usually count on at least one interesting article. Sometimes, it's sort of like the People Magazine of music, but there's some awright tidbits in there to offset the "obscure" references of The Wire.

3. EQ Magazine - this magazine keeps getting better and better.

• Moderators

EQ

Great info from people I'm interested in

Tape Op

Great info from people I've never heard of. I love the informal reviews.

Electronic Musician

Some good in-depth info here.

I like real stories on album production. All of the above mags offer that.

• Members

Electronic musician. - Honest reviews, often not in the favor of the manufacturor.

Modern Drummer- Keeping up on the latest tech issues and it's great to read actual performance and session charts.

Recording- Comes free with Taxi membership. Besides endless Taxi hype, It does have some good monthly columns on tracking, micing, etc.

• Members

I read Guitar One and Guitar World

I used to read Guitar World until one day about ten years ago when a readers poll selected a guitar solo from a Sliverchair song as one of the best guitar solos of the decade (or something like that). I don't remember the exact details because I have purposely tried to forget. I don't blame the magazine, but I just got so depressed I cancelled my subscription.

• Members

Sound on Sound

- I prefer SOS because it has good content, the gear reviews are relevant for me, ads rarely interupt an article, articles are never "continued on page X", Studio SOS, classic recording article etc. Wish they had online media clips of reviews. I love British mags, the editorial comments are refreshing.

Guitar Player

- I have been reading GP for 23 years. I can honestly say I do not appreciate it as I used to. Either their quality has slipped or my standards have increased. Still.... I read it.

all the others, I read on occassion, either when I am about to buy new gear or see an interesting article mentionned on the cover. EQ, Mix, E-Musician, Recording.....

• Members

Originally posted by gsHarmony

I used to read Guitar World until one day about ten years ago when a readers poll selected a guitar solo from a Sliverchair song as one of the best guitar solos of the decade (or something like that). I don't remember the exact details because I have purposely tried to forget. I don't blame the magazine, but I just got so depressed I cancelled my subscription.

Ouch, please tell me you're joking! Silverchair?

But there again, it's difficult to fault the magazine when it was a reader's poll...

But you don't have to answer. I don't want you to dredge up ugly, traumatic memories you've worked so hard to push down!! :D

• Members

No Depression

The Big Takeover

Whatever recording mag has an article that I like (Mix, Recording, etc.)

I can't say much about what I'd change about them. Maybe if the Big Takeover zoomed in a tad bit. I appreciate everyone getting exposure, but giving press to 8000 bands per issue with a small blurb...does that really do much good? I don't know. Still, good interviews.

• Members

Resolution!!!!! The best magazine I've read for the audio industry in easily a decade!

Then I reckon Tape Op because they have articles on interesting people I've never heard of... followed by "Live Sound" which as far as Live/Reinforcement audio goes seems to have some of the best articles... the ones I write for them suck, but the ones that Chris Kathman writes are extraordinary.

Resolution is still the best hands down.

Archived