Bucking frequencys

• Members

Bucking:

Refers to the cancellation of one signal or frequency component of a signal by another signal of equal amplitude but opposite polarity

How is bucking frequency done in mixing?

Would copying the track and layering the same track but put at the same frequencys but not all frequency be bucking?

Bucking is sorta of like phase cancellation but its different

Whats the difference between Bucking VS phase cancelling?

(and its not the same thing its different)

• Members

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying

...as you have decided on your definitions, you already know!!

ie you don't really have a question

you're just playing the OLD walters character

They change up in rhythm is good, just falling back to the old character there though is still weak performance...BUt it is an improvement!

• Members

Your playing the old MorePaul game too u know the answers but won't give them to me for Free

So whats Bucking mean to u?

Whats bucking frequencys mean to u ?

How do i buck frequencys?

I know bucking frequencys use the Polarity switch (not the phase switch) on the consoles

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

Your playing the old MorePaul game too u know the answers but won't give them to me for Free

well, it IS a dance my freind...that's the thing about this sort of performance...it's quasi-participatory...the audience is part of the performance!!!

Now, what we have to work on is the quality of the performance

• Members

You 2 need to get a room at the Public Library! :D

Walters - you already know more about humbucking pickups (if that's what you're getting at) than most of it seems like. I always thought they got rid of the hum (and a couple of other things - by association) via phase cancellation...

• Members

humbucking pickups (if that's what you're getting at) than most of it seems like. I always thought they got rid of the hum (and a couple of other things - by association) via phase cancellation...

How does a humbucker get rid of hum by using Bucking?

The humbucking has the same pickups but the polarity is 180 degrees out of phase but they don't cancel every frequency out

How to use this humbucking frequencys applied to mixing notches and frequency bucking them out?

• Members

How to use this humbucking frequencys applied to mixing notches and frequency bucking them out?

Hi Walters - I'm not sure if we're going down the wrong road here, hehe or if we're even on a road...

If you have an audio app that is compatable with this Tritonedigital plugin called "PhaseTone" you can do some phase type "notching" (not a true notch but a pretty deep cut anyway) and manually sweep the frequencies as well as adjust the width of the Q:

http://tritonedigital.com/phasetone.htm

It's kind of an example of sweepable "humbucking" , loosely speaking of course, just for fun. It uses phase to cancel (cut) the desired freq without moving or automatically sweeping.

An when you sweep it manually searching for a frequency you will probably be reminded of a flanger or phaser. Somebody turned me on to this little gem recently which you can set to a single "phased" filter (most flangers use multiple filters that effect more than 1 freq) and make a phased notch that way too, it's called PSYCHO-PHASER:

http://braindoc.de/

• Members

If you're a kid growing up these days, sooner or later, someone's going to offer you drugs. "Go ahead, try some of these," they'll say. "They'll make you feel great. Come on, everybody's doing it. Don't you want to be cool?" People have told me all these things and plenty more, but I just tell them to buzz off. I tell them I don't need drugs to get high or be cool: I can do it with alcohol, my anti-drug.

The pushers who hang around the playground behind my school are always going on about the amazing high you get from drugs. But I don't see how it can compare to the pure, natural, 100 percent legal high I get from drinking alcohol. Who needs the artificial escape drugs provide when a good, stiff belt of Jim Beam or Jos

• Moderators

No sorry bucking and phase cancellation is two different things

Bucking is a copy or same frequency and amplitude its "bucks"

out the amplitude/frequency of the same waveform length

Whats the difference?

Walters, please explain how they are different, as YOU understand it. If, as you assert, they are 2 different things, then explain how you know at least that much.

• Members

would copying the track and layering the same track but put at the same frequencys but not all frequency be bucking?

:freak:

What you are talking about IS basically phase cancellation!

I suggest taking some audio engineering classes thru your local city college! you could do with some writing classes also.

• Members

Originally posted by Chad-Chicago

If you're a kid growing up these days, sooner or later, someone's going to offer you drugs. "Go ahead, try some of these," they'll say. "They'll make you feel great. Come on, everybody's doing it. Don't you want to be cool?" People have told me all these things and plenty more, but I just tell them to buzz off. I tell them I don't need drugs to get high or be cool: I can do it with alcohol, my anti-drug.

The pushers who hang around the playground behind my school are always going on about the amazing high you get from drugs. But I don't see how it can compare to the pure, natural, 100 percent legal high I get from drinking alcohol. Who needs the artificial escape drugs provide when a good, stiff belt of Jim Beam or Jos

• Members

I think it's high time to cut right to the chase and rename this entire forum after Walters. As of the time I am writing this, 64% of the posts in the top 10 topics are Walters-related. With careful moderating, I'm sure we could get that number a lot closer to 100%.

• Members

Bucking:

Refers to the cancellation of one signal or frequency component of a signal by another signal of equal amplitude but opposite polarity

How is bucking frequency done in mixing?

Would copying the track and layering the same track but put at the same frequencys but not all frequency be bucking?

Bucking is sorta of like phase cancellation but its different

Whats the difference between Bucking VS phase cancelling?

(and its not the same thing its different)

I've never really heard of "Bucking" or "Phase Cancelling" being used much in mixing except as something to be avoided. Generally, the term "bucking" has been used when referring to guitar pickups.

In 1953, the Gibson R&D department (headed by Walter Fuller) sought to eliminate one of the biggest drawbacks to the electric guitar ? the 60-cycle hum that was unavoidable in all single coil pickup designs. One of those engineers was Seth Lover. Together, he and Gibson would change the electric guitar world forever. The results were incorporated into the model PU-490 pickup, in which Gibson filed for a patent on the design in 1955. This new pickup, which "bucked the hum" was dubbed the Gibson "Humbucker." It featured twin coils wired in parallel and out-of-phase, adjustable pole screws on one coil and German silver metal covers to resist outside electrical interference.

[from the Gibson website]

I suppose you could mix using phase cancellation, but it would be difficult to do and not as accurate as using EQ. The Humbucker, guitar pickup, on the other hand is designed to eliminate the 60hz hum produced by EMI. This particular problem is more specific to single coil pickups, not general recording. Can you do it? sure, but why would you want to....

cheers.

• Members

So how does the humbucker pick phase cancel?

Because if the two coils in the humbucker pickup are

180 degrees out of phase wouldn't that Cancel all frequency

i don't get how a humbucker pickup works really

Is there a website or theory about this how it works

and how it cancels out frequencys?

Archived