why does clapton look so different in the 80's and beyond than before?

eric zwicky

• Members

thanks to all who answered the "woman" tone question. here's another:

why does eric clapton look so very different in his face now, compared to the 60's and early 70's? i was into cream from the time of fresh cream, then lost track of clapton after derek and the dominos. then some time in the 80's i saw a picture of him and didn't even recognize him.

was he in a fire? did coke eat up his nose and it had to be re-built? something definitely happened somewhere along the line. he looks like a different person entirely.

• Members

Actually, I think he looked good in '89 when Journeyman came out. Sure, he looked haggard but he was enjoying commercial success and seemed to have it all together while staying sober.

IMO I think the reason for his outward transformation was because his 5 year-old son fell out of a 25th story window in 1991. Being a father, I don't think I could deal with that sort of sudden loss.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Actually, I think he looked good in '89 when Journeyman came out. Sure, he looked haggard but he was enjoying commercial success and seemed to have it all together while staying sober.

IMO I think the reason for his outward transformation was because his 5 year-old son fell out of a 25th story window in 1991. Being a father, I don't think I could deal with that sort of sudden loss.

+1. Intense grief over years can grizzle a man. :(

• Members

He looks different because during Derek & the Domino's he was tragically killed in a car accident. Rather than scrap the project Atlantic Records hired a guitarist named Billy Spears who looked remarkably like EC. The unsuspecting public never caught on, so the ruse continues today.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by OaklandA

He looks different because during Derek & the Domino's he was tragically killed in a car accident. Rather than scrap the project Atlantic Records hired a guitarist named Billy Spears who looked remarkably like EC. The unsuspecting public never caught on, so the ruse continues today.

:D

actually William Campbell is said to have replaced Paul McCartney in 1965 after he died in a car crash

story

ya, its a hoax, but he really was in a motorcycle accident in 1965, just look at his chipped front tooth in the rain/paperback writer video. He chipped his tooth in the crash

All in all an interesting read though

and the Billy Shears at the beginning of With A little Help From My Friends is "supposed" to mean "Billy's Here", as in William is the replacement

• Members

He definitely lost his taste in clothes. On the Cream reunion video Clapton looks like he's on a day pass from the nursing home. Did you see that shot of his tapping foot? He's wearing these big ugly crepe sole shoes (Clarks?) that are made for retirees with orthopedic problems. He really looks like he was dressed by a nurse.

At the Crossroads festival the dude is wearing shorts and freakin' sandals, I don't want to see Clapton's god damn toes!

He's still a great guitarist, and a very gracious gentleman, but he ought to be reminded that he's in a visual medium; he should have a bit more respect for his audience. Certainly all his old African-American blues hero's were natty dressers no matter how old the got.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

True. Also, kicking all sorts of habits will make a difference.

• Members

Originally posted by Faber

True. Also, kicking all sorts of habits will make a difference.

Yip. If he hadn't kicked the H and everything else he was on at one time and another, he'd look very different nowadays.... pretty well decomposed in a wooden box....

• Members

That Keef is alive is just another hoax...they just jolt his body with enough voltage (through a specially constructed guitar and lead setup) to animate him for concerts and interviews.

And amazingly, these frenetic electrical twitchings sound just like Keef did when he played and spoke. :D

Larry

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 1/27/2006 at 5:01 AM, eric zwicky said:

thanks to all who answered the "woman" tone question. here's another:

why does eric clapton look so very different in his face now, compared to the 60's and early 70's? i was into cream from the time of fresh cream, then lost track of clapton after derek and the dominos. then some time in the 80's i saw a picture of him and didn't even recognize him.

was he in a fire? did coke eat up his nose and it had to be re-built? something definitely happened somewhere along the line. he looks like a different person entirely.

In the late 60s he started a serious heroin habit; he kicked that in '71 and took up drinking.

At some point in the 70s he fell downstairs at home while drunk and broke his nose.  I don't know exactly when.  Apart from changing his appearance (all the other changes are just facial hair plus ageing) it also changed his singing voice.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

MY God! I'm watching him live on the crossroads 2019 television special, and he's got two friggen "BUSHES" Growing out of his nose! Plus his eyes look so swollen they look like they are shut! THAT AIN'T AGE!! thats a total disgusting lack of personal hygiene and grooming. I had to shut it off! All I could see was friggen Nose hairs growing an inch long outside of his nostrils! What a PIG!

Archived