Anti-Doom and Gloom?

richardmac

• Members

The multi-media thing is something I've thought about. If we're going to continue to make albums (and that's a whole topic in and of itself), I wonder whether there's a market for something that's designed for your computer rather than your hi-fi. It could contain videos, photos, animations, interactive stuff such as tracks the user can mix themselves etc ... as well as, of course, the songs themselves. I might try this - it'd be a fun project if nothing else.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The multi-media thing is something I've thought about. If we're going to continue to make albums (and that's a whole topic in and of itself), I wonder whether there's a market for something that's designed for your computer rather than your hi-fi. It could contain videos, photos, animations, interactive stuff such as tracks the user can mix themselves etc ... as well as, of course, the songs themselves. I might try this - it'd be a fun project if nothing else.

Maybe. I'm skeptical, though. Music is for me (and a lot of other folks I know) a passive endeavor; by that, I mean something that is playing in the background while we're doing something else-housework, catching up on email, work at our jobs, driving, running and so on. A multi-media presentation demands the listened stop what they're doing and sit down to watch it. It was hard enough for video to survive by being provided on TV. All the viewer had to do was sit in front of the TV and watch whatever was fed to them. If they didn't like the current vid, maybe the next would be better, but even that got old after awhile. Asking a consumer to willingly sit down, plop your DVD into the computer, and sit down and watch it is a lot to ask, especially from an unknown band. It had better be not just good, but great in every respect. I'm not sure the average DIYer is capable of pulling it off.

• Members

Yep you have a point there BlueStrat. There probably aren't many who sit down to listen to an album, giving it their full attention like they used to. Even for me most of the music I listen to is in the car.

Still, people DO have to devote their time to reading books or play video games and perhaps there's a market there for music crossing over into that territory. It's a long shot though and I'm sure you're right that it would have to be something pretty special - both in terms of the music and the extras on the disc.

• Members

Who said anything about a DVD? Viral videos are one of the biggest things on the internet. Yeah, people watch videos. It's not just about music anymore. Sure, I give full attention to music for hours at a stretch but I'm weird like that. Bottom line is people have already decided how and on what terms they consume media. It's up to everyone else to catch up.

• Members

Who said anything about a DVD? Viral videos are one of the biggest things on the internet. Yeah, people watch videos. It's not just about music anymore. Sure, I give full attention to music for hours at a stretch but I'm weird like that. Bottom line is people have already decided how and on what terms they consume media. It's up to everyone else to catch up.

^^^^^This

Plus it's been that way ever since MTV first launched.

• Members

Here's a reason for optimism: The music industry- and record industry- has fallen further and recovered in the past. Guess when? The god-damn depression. Record sales bottomed out at around 6 million in 1932 after topping at something like 140 MILLION in 1927. Think about that.

It's not entirely coincidental the latest sharp decline... has accompanied the biggest financial collapse since the depression.

For some reason mopes often over look the fact that people flat out ain't gonna pay for goofy ass stuff like recorded music when they hit hard times.

People will 100% be interested in forking over money for high-quality musical entertainment - be it performed life or recorded on film or on record - when times get better. This always happens. How working musicians will make money will be different. It's always different.

Do you know how most of you would have probably been employed had you been looking to eke out a living in music in the 1920s? Playing in a god-damn movie theater!!!! And then you would have gotten laid off in 1927 after the Jazz singer came out. Literally- there were like 20,000 movie theater musicians pushed out of work overnight. MP3s ain't {censored}.

It's just another thing. So keep a long view: Musicians are the first to be hit the hardest whenever the economy tanks. And bunches and bunches em always have to find day jobs when the winds of change shift in public tastes or technology. At one time you could be a rich recording artist... same way you could have been a wealthy big band leader at one time... or wealthy singing TROMBONIST and god knows whatever else...

• Members

1) What people "have already decided?" Because I see a huge variety of outlets of consumption, and there seems to be no clear cut consensus of which one works best or is used more than another. If it was already decided, we wouldn't be having these discussions, would we?

2) It may be that for some demographics, the internet is their source. But until the problem of delivery is addressed, it will always be a minority, because the vast majority of people aren't going to go log onto the internet for entertainment and look for it. While there are more people doing so than ever before, the promise of the internet being the future has been being rehashed for the past 12 years at least and it hasn't grown anywhere near the predictions. It is still a medium that one has to go to, unlike TV, radio, etc.

• Members

Like I said, people consume media on their own terms. The net savvy folks get referrals from friends or follow trusted online publications and blogs. Non net people do...whatever it is they do. You gotta no your audience and their habits.

• Members

Like I said, people consume media on their own terms. The net savvy folks get referrals from friends or follow trusted online publications and blogs. Non net people do...whatever it is they do. You gotta no your audience and their habits.

Oh, ok, I think I see what you're saying. I misunderstood you at first.

• Members

Nah, it's alright. Personally I think the Internet, and social media in particular, is one of the most powerful forces in the world now. Visual artists know how to use it, filmmakers know how to use it, technology developers know how to use it, but oddly enough most musicians don't. They see the social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook as just another market tool to spam people with without understanding the greater culture of those who frequent the Net. And believe me - it is culture complete with it's own history, language, icons, customs, and slang. If a musician isn't well versed in the culture - that is, not a part of it, then it's impossible to use Internet effectively. It's also important to note that this culture is constantly evolving.

Piracy? Sure people download. All the time, in fact. Especially considering all the file host sites and mp3 blogs out there that make it so easy. But I think it's a mistake to consider a download an automatic lost sale. These people are the casual listener - the same people who will hear a hit song on the radio, probably like it, but not buy the single (which is most people). These people wouldn't have spent any money anyway. Speaking of internet culture, you'll find out that people, over time, become die-hard, devoted fans of their favorite media outlets. They will check with them everyday and actually expend personal finances on merchandising, special offers, or live events. it's imperative to know the general habits of the demographics you're dealing with. People don't want to be marketed to - they want to feel like they're a part of something. They want to participate.

Speaking of mp3 blogs, it's interesting to note that in many cases artists themselves grant permission to post songs and albums on blogs. Sometimes they volunteer to upload tracks to a blog. In many cases these days, the actual recorded music is mainly just there to get the fans brought into the bigger experience. The Gregory Brothers (Auto-Tune the News) are a good example of the new ways to get fans to rally around music. Blanket marketing is dead. Now is the time to find a niche, dig in deep, and develop a devoted fan base. It may take years, but you're true fans will buy and they will stay with you as long as you produce quality material.

I say all this not just as a musician but an avid music fan, explorer, and consumer of new music. I'm don't want to seem like I'm trying to rag on the older folks, but it's counterproductive to mourn the passing of the old system and steady complain about the current landscape because they haven't figured out how to use it to their advantage. Success is certainly out there - an artist just has to develop his/her own personal way of achieving it.

• Members

For some reason mopes often over look the fact that people flat out ain't gonna pay for goofy ass stuff like recorded music when they hit hard times.

People will 100% be interested in forking over money for high-quality musical entertainment - be it performed life or recorded on film or on record - when times get better. This always happens. How working musicians will make money will be different. It's always different.

Are you really believing that? If they can get it for free they won't pay. They still buy lots and lots of {censored} they don't need. Kids have more money than ever in history, they buy laptops, plasma screens, cellphones, games, iPhones and all that crap but they pirate music.

money isn't the problem.

• Members

Are you really believing that? If they can get it for free they won't pay. They still buy lots and lots of {censored} they don't need. Kids have more money than ever in history, they buy laptops, plasma screens, cellphones, games, iPhones and all that crap but they pirate music.

money isn't the problem.

During downtimes folks do slow the consumption of big ticket Items , and obviously if you were in the company of the many unfortunate ones who have lost jobs and houses , you will probably stick with the most essential of purchases . I do seem to recall having read that during downtimes people tend to continue on with small pleasures ( Like Ice cream or a book ) .

It is a matter of opportunity ; If there weren't free downloads then I don't think that sales would be tanking quite as hard as they are . ( I think thats pretty logical too assume ) It's a bit presumptuous to simply remove the issue of tech-no piracy from the equation in these discussions . It is a complex problem, you probably can't pin down the causation to one or two items.......

Whilst it is warm and fuzzy to suggest that "allot of " those who download a pirated copy of a song (make that many , many songs....then more) are then deciding to go back and get legit by purchasing a copy, some skepticism is in order !!

The issue of how a artist gets paid ( for real ) in the "New Tech Frontier" is hardly settled . Other than the usual "sell schwagg" or "tour" ( Which believe it or not folks , isn't always profitable) No one has really come up with a way to support a more balanced musical ecosystem.

Before, bands that had a first album ( or more ) tank still had a chance to develop and take another swing because when the EVIL record company's scored big ( one out of ten time by the way ) they had made some profits and therefore could continue to stay with the band . ( Those greedy Bastards !! Those greedy , re-investing in music Bastards!!!)

How does artist development happen now ??

Please don't tell me we just give them a new vid camera and a copy of VEGAS!! ( Don't thet have enough on their plate already with learning REAPER and the art of microphone placement !!)

The majors are downsizing ( Yeah !; lets dance on their graves whoopee ) and Indies just close shop...........( Yeah ; Whoopee ???)

Go ahead and call me old fashioned , but it might be more productive to give me some examples ;.... concrete functions that show how some of the new stuff is replacing the functionality of the old stuff . Like for instance ; how does a non-performing songwriter get paid when there are no record sales ??? They used to get an income from that ... Now what ????

As far as I can see the new Tech sector is simply feeding off of the legacy back catalogs ( The big , big news at I-tunes ;... WE GOT THE RUTTLES!!) ( Thats from 45 years ago !!)

It's just to dam easy to say " You old guys just don't get it " ...... Proves not a thing!

Answer the aforementioned questions and quit telling me about bloggs and yew tube vids ....

I like technology as much as any youngster , but it's not a panacea!!!

• Members

Here's a reason for optimism: The music industry- and record industry- has fallen further and recovered in the past. Guess when? The god-damn depression. Record sales bottomed out at around 6 million in 1932 after topping at something like 140 MILLION in 1927. Think about that.

It's not entirely coincidental the latest sharp decline... has accompanied the biggest financial collapse since the depression.

Do you know how most of you would have probably been employed had you been looking to eke out a living in music in the 1920s? Playing in a god-damn movie theater!!!! And then you would have gotten laid off in 1927 after the Jazz singer came out. Literally- there were like 20,000 movie theater musicians pushed out of work overnight. MP3s ain't {censored}.

It's just another thing. So keep a long view: Musicians are the first to be hit the hardest whenever the economy tanks. And bunches and bunches em always have to find day jobs when the winds of change shift in public tastes or technology. At one time you could be a rich recording artist... same way you could have been a wealthy big band leader at one time... or wealthy singing TROMBONIST and god knows whatever else...

Interesting point, but hard to compare because in those days there wasn't every youth on the planet with an ipod, iphone, or other mass media or portable storage device.

• Members

Nah, it's alright. Personally I think the Internet, and social media in particular, is one of the most powerful forces in the world now. Visual artists know how to use it, filmmakers know how to use it, technology developers know how to use it, but oddly enough most musicians don't. They see the social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook as just another market tool to spam people with without understanding the greater culture of those who frequent the Net. And believe me - it
is
culture complete with it's own history, language, icons, customs, and slang. If a musician isn't well versed in the culture - that is, not a part of it, then it's impossible to use Internet effectively. It's also important to note that this culture is constantly evolving.

Piracy? Sure people download. All the time, in fact. Especially considering all the file host sites and mp3 blogs out there that make it so easy. But I think it's a mistake to consider a download an automatic lost sale. These people are the casual listener - the same people who will hear a hit song on the radio, probably like it, but not buy the single (which is most people). These people wouldn't have spent any money anyway. Speaking of internet culture, you'll find out that people, over time, become die-hard, devoted fans of their favorite media outlets. They will check with them everyday and actually expend personal finances on merchandising, special offers, or live events. it's imperative to know the general habits of the demographics you're dealing with. People don't want to be marketed to - they want to feel like they're a part of something. They want to participate.

Speaking of mp3 blogs, it's interesting to note that in many cases artists themselves grant permission to post songs and albums on blogs. Sometimes they volunteer to upload tracks to a blog. In many cases these days, the actual recorded music is mainly just there to get the fans brought into the bigger experience. The Gregory Brothers (Auto-Tune the News) are a good example of the new ways to get fans to rally around music. Blanket marketing is dead. Now is the time to find a niche, dig in deep, and develop a devoted fan base. It may take years, but you're true fans will buy and they will stay with you as long as you produce quality material.

I say all this not just as a musician but an avid music fan, explorer, and consumer of new music. I'm don't want to seem like I'm trying to rag on the older folks, but it's counterproductive to mourn the passing of the old system and steady complain about the current landscape because they haven't figured out how to use it to their advantage. Success is certainly out there - an artist just has to develop his/her own personal way of achieving it.

You Sir, GET IT :)

• Members

Interesting point, but hard to compare because in those days there wasn't every youth on the planet with an ipod, iphone, or other mass media or portable storage device.

It's always hard to compare. The point is what is happening now with MP3s in the record industry has happened before - many times before actually. The specifics are different but a lot of the underlying factors are always the same. Be it Musicians unions staging protests against Recorded Sound movie theaters in the 20s, or sheet-music publishers suing hte piss out of independent songwriters in the 1950s or ... or sheet-music publishers doing the same ass thing to recorded music peddlers at the turn of the century. Something new comes along. People piss and moan. Consumers shrug. All the late-comers to the latest music boom have to find other jobs. Life goes on.

Do you know what the first iPod was? A god-damn Piano - in the 1800s. It wasn't just the iPod: It was the TV; the radio; the LapTop; the XBox. It was the primary source of home entertainment. Sheet music was the MP3. The Piano was the iPod. The music was what it was and always will be... Music. But those days are long over: 150 years later: Do people still play freaking pianos? Absolutely. Sheet music still around? Of course. Rocking out to awesome music still around? Absolutely-effingtively.

Trying to figure out how to make it in music right now by focusing on distributing recorded sound in a profitable way is an asinine and useless endeavor. The only way to consistently stay marketable as a professional musician in more than 100 years - the entire history of the music industry - is to be really {censored}ing good at playing music ... LIVE. In front of other people. With other people. On demand. There is a constant demand for the most highly skilled of these people - sometimes the demand is high and the pay is commensurate. You could be a rich and famous trombone player at one time in history. No {censored}. Sometimes the demand is low and you can't make {censored} no matter how good you are: Good luck with that Trombone act today.

But anybody scratching their head about making it is thinking too god damn hard about the whole situation. The best movie house musicians got jobs in the concert pits of movie studios. Everybody else was {censored} out of luck. The floor has fallen out from the most prestigious and lucrative field of popular music in the last 50 years: Professional recording artists that double as headlining touring acts. The people trying to make a go of it in this field right now are late the party and will be broken-hearted.

• Members
The floor has fallen out from the most prestigious and lucrative field of popular music in the last 50 years: Professional recording artists that double as headlining touring acts. The people trying to make a go of it in this field right now are late the party and will be broken-hearted.

So much for "Anti-Doom and Gloom" :p !!!!!!!

Everything changes to be sure , but there isn't any reason to reach such extreme absolute conclusions...... No gray ???, just black and white pronouncements??. Things are never so simple . Maybe easier to go along with and exclaim " Viola" , you get it and all that ; but the reality is a little deeper and filled with nuance .

People will still want quality once they get sick of free quantity!

The cupboard of legacy stuff will become bare and the tide will turn from burning to building . Yes Virginia ; Lady GA GA and Trent Reznor tunes won't be offered up with great fan fair and anticipation 45 years from now !! The bankrupt system that churns that stuff out will wear out it's welcome !! . Many more years of RUTTLES type drudging out 40 something year old records might go by ( Can you believe the staying power of the lads from liver pool ..that's quality --But-- if you consider the modern competition , well then not quite as much of an accomplishment ...)

At sometime there will be re-evaluation after someone says " I don't get it , ... How come there are no more classics ."

• Members

Really? Aren't we experiencing hard times right now? Yet look at the 'goofy stuff' people DID pay for over the holidays.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/business/28shop.html

http://www.develop-online.net/news/36794/iPhone-sales-rocket-after-phenomenal-holiday-quarter

http://www.bradsreader.com/2011/01/ipad-sales-soar-but-ibook-sales-edged-out-by-amazon/

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_2010_sales_figures

If they'll buy all this other {censored}, why not music? Either times aren't as hard as everyone is saying they are ( but they are) or your reasoning is wrong and people aren't buying recorded music because they can get it free.

• Moderators

Trying to figure out how to make it in music right now by focusing on distributing recorded sound in a profitable way is an asinine and useless endeavor. The only way to consistently stay marketable as a professional musician in more than 100 years - the entire history of the music industry - is to be really {censored}ing good at playing music ... LIVE. In front of other people. With other people. On demand. There is a constant demand for the most highly skilled of these people - sometimes the demand is high and the pay is commensurate. You could be a rich and famous trombone player at one time in history. No {censored}. Sometimes the demand is low and you can't make {censored} no matter how good you are: Good luck with that Trombone act today.

But anybody scratching their head about making it is thinking too god damn hard about the whole situation. The best movie house musicians got jobs in the concert pits of movie studios. Everybody else was {censored} out of luck. The floor has fallen out from the most prestigious and lucrative field of popular music in the last 50 years: Professional recording artists that double as headlining touring acts. The people trying to make a go of it in this field right now are late the party and will be broken-hearted.

The key here is that the field is narrowing rapidly...because the venues are finding it harder to hire bands...and pay them. Oh, there are tons of bands that will do pay2play...but in general, those bands are not going to survive doing that, and the clubs will eventually either stop having live music, or go with a DJ...whihc, sadly, is what I see more and more here in what was one of the pre-eminent musical meccas, Los Angeles...places having live music are changing...for a number of reasons, like insurance, ASCAP/BMI fees, equipment maintenance (lights and PAs don't fix themselves)...so now one is more likely to get a gig as a solo in a restaurant for a Sunday brunch than as a band on Saturday night...and if that is happeing here, it will spread across the country eventually.

So yes, only the best will survive at the new live performance level, because, let's face it, autotune and backing tracks are hard to use live in an intimate setting.

You will either be engaging and above competent, or your lunch will be eaten by a better entertainer...with luck, you will move some merch and CDs on those brunch gigs, and maybe build a following...but a becoming a 'breakout star' will be a dream rarely achieved.

• Members

At sometime there will be re-evaluation after someone says " I don't get it , ... How come there are no more classics ."

You're writing off the entire future of music? Hopefully the people who will end up writing our future classics don't believe you. Seriously, I agree with you about a lot of stuff, but I think this is way too pessimistic.

• Members

I'm an older folk and I agree with you - some of us are over sitting around and complaining, and some of us keep kicking the same dead horse and accomplishing nothing but getting ourselves even more worked up. That's one reason I started this thread.

I'm like a half-cynic. I think music will be fine, I think people who want to write and record songs and perform them will continue to do so. But I also don't want to paint a rosy picture about trying to make a living at it, because it's going to keep getting more and more difficult to do that. My point with this thread was that there's nothing wrong with a day job and doing music. A lot of us here do exactly that. Those who can figure out a way to make a living will be out doing it, not in here complaining.

Great post, by the way.

• Members

You will either be engaging and above competent, or your lunch will be eaten by a better entertainer...with luck, you will move some merch and CDs on those brunch gigs, and maybe build a following...but a becoming a 'breakout star' will be a dream rarely achieved.

Yeah, I'd agree that we're done with the breakout star era, but then again you never know what the future will bring. Trying to predict the future in the music biz only ensures that we're wrong.

But I think if anyone wants to eek out a living they'd better master the online world. Not because they'll need more Facebook friends, but because it can open opportunities for gigs outside of their home town, and maybe tv/movie placements and other such things. I could see someone writing a killer song and putting it on YouTube and getting it placed on TV, for example. And they're gonna need all the money they can get.

I had another thought - the best music in the future might come from the day jobbers, for the simple reason that they'll focus on the music and not spend all their time trying to figure out how to pimp it.

• Members

You're writing off the entire future of music? Hopefully the people who will end up writing our future classics don't believe you. Seriously, I agree with you about a lot of stuff,
but I think this is way too pessimistic

As I wrote in another post , There has to be incentives as opposed to making it an utterly thankless job !! The myth that composing is all of writing it down in a flash when sudden inspiration strikes is deadly.

I'm not claiming any sort of expertise , only pleading guilty to having a sneaking suspicion........

The thing is that like the old sayings " Jack of all trades ; master of none" ... I do believe that there is a real power in being able to focus all the concentration one can muster on a single area of expertise, and as far as I can tell , the trend is for the future to consist of musicians trying to do way to many multiples of functions all by themselves .

There is no team effort with everyone pitching in with their own special brand of specialization and years of learning backing that up .

I refer you to this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/modiba/why-you-should-pay-for-mu_b_606430.html

In it ,when the author attempts to tip his hat to recording engineers and even goes so far to acknowledge them as artist in there own right ! ;... he is met with little agreement ...

If you read the resultant commentary , the heavy do-it yourself theme consist of allot of folks who are basically of the mind that one can by the equipment , set up a "studio" at home and proceed straight to getting utterly professional results in matter of months and/or there are those who say that the leisurely pace that a home studio affords them will take the pressure off and that , despite the extended time it takes to get results , they to can match what the pros with a lifetime of dedication under their belts could do ......

I guess I'm just daft cause I haven't seen that this whole recording and mixing thing is just easy as pie ( at least if you want it to be up to the standards of the recent past and not some homage to lo-fi days !) It takes up WAY too much of my time. Time that should be spent on composition !

Keeping in mind that none of these folks, who were basically saying studios and engineers were relics now, ever mentioned any facet in the game plan for how they would compose the music for their recordings; that's an afterthought. The lack of delegating the effort entailed in the making of a great record could result in ....less great records ..... The Home recording thing is lots of fun , but will skew the ratio of great songwriting verses a boatload of unrefined songs .. A real lack of quality control or gatekeeping .

The result of the home studio craze could be .....

great quanities of good recordings of mediocre songs intead of mediocre recordings of good songs !!!!

In that same article , someone mentioned that there used to be entire operations staffed and dedicated to songwriting ... See this comment ;http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/hp_blogger_Rick%20Carnes/why-you-should-pay-for-mu_b_606430_50120750.html

So basically Richard , my pessimism is based on what seems to me to be a systemic pulling the rug out from under the aspect of composition... The non-performing songwriter is soon to be extinct ... Another profession bites the dust . I know that many will laugh at this assertion and scoff at me assigning any importance to the change of the guard in this area .

I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be those freaks of nature who can do it all! . Tour permanently with your studio in tow and prolifically compose , write all lyrical content , record , mix , master , promote , advertise , keep the books , attend to half a dozen blogs or social media aspects including a little web mastering , perform live and pour your heart out , be the camera operator, edit the video , and drive and wash the bus too !!!

Touring is the one size fits all panacea !!

( or is it ?? )

http:

//www.bbc.co.uk/news/10220002

• Members

As I wrote in another post , There has to be incentives as opposed to making it an utterly thankless job !! The myth that composing is all of writing it down in a flash when sudden inspiration strikes is deadly.

I'm not claiming any sort of expertise , only pleading guilty to having a sneaking suspicion........

The thing is that like the old sayings " Jack of all trades ; master of none" ... I do believe that there is a real power in being able to focus all the concentration one can muster on a single area of expertise, and as far as I can tell , the trend is for the future to consist of musicians trying to do way to many multiples of functions all by themselves .

There is no team effort with everyone pitching in with their own special brand of specialization and years of learning backing that up .

I refer you to this article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/modiba/why-you-should-pay-for-mu_b_606430.html

In it ,when the author attempts to tip his hat to recording engineers and even goes so far to acknowledge them as artist in there own right ! ;... he is met with little agreement ...

If you read the resultant commentary , the heavy do-it yourself theme consist of allot of folks who are basically of the mind that one can by the equipment , set up a "studio" at home and proceed straight to getting utterly professional results in matter of months and/or there are those who say that the leisurely pace that a home studio affords them will take the pressure off and that , despite the extended time it takes to get results , they to can match what the pros with a lifetime of dedication under their belts could do ......

I guess I'm just daft cause I haven't seen that this whole recording and mixing thing is just easy as pie ( at least if you want it to be up to the standards of the recent past and not some homage to lo-fi days !) It takes up WAY too much of my time. Time that should be spent on composition !

Keeping in mind that none of these folks, who were basically saying studios and engineers were relics now, ever mentioned any facet in the game plan for how they would compose the music for their recordings;
that's an afterthought
The lack of delegating the effort entailed in the making of a great record could result in ....less great records ..... The Home recording thing is lots of fun , but will skew the ratio of great songwriting verses a boatload of unrefined songs .. A real lack of quality control or gatekeeping .

The result of the home studio craze could be .....

great quanities of good recordings of mediocre songs intead of mediocre recordings of good songs !!!!

In that same article , someone mentioned that there used to be entire operations staffed and dedicated to songwriting ... See this comment ;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/hp_blogger_Rick%20Carnes/why-you-should-pay-for-mu_b_606430_50120750.html

So basically Richard , my pessimism is based on what seems to me to be a systemic pulling the rug out from under the aspect of composition... The non-performing songwriter is soon to be extinct ... Another profession bites the dust . I know that many will laugh at this assertion and scoff at me assigning any importance to the change of the guard in this area .

I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be those freaks of nature who can do it all! . Tour permanently with your studio in tow and prolifically compose , write all lyrical content , record , mix , master , promote , advertise , keep the books , attend to half a dozen blogs or social media aspects including a little web mastering , perform live and pour your heart out , be the camera operator, edit the video , and drive and wash the bus too !!!

Touring is the one size fits all panacea !!

( or is it ?? )

http:

//www.bbc.co.uk/news/10220002

Yea you have a bunch of clueless idiots who flat out don't know what they don't know. I've been a recording engineer for 20 years and I'm only now getting good enough to be satisfied with my results and I have produced and recorded many CD's for myself as well as others. It's a lifetime thing just like being a writer, musician, etc etc...Also, a cheap set up at home can get your good results in very experienced hands but in a novice's hands..well, you can hear those results all over the web...:(( You do get what you pay for with gear and getting the real deal, 3D rich sound we are all looking for takes experience great gear and steep step up in $$$$$......

As far as touring goes I said it before and I'll say it again, It's not going to be viable for most people. I think you're going to see a lot more house concerts, Ustream/webcasts and the like with more infrequent spaced out regional live dates. I've toured and could tour now if I wanted but I don't see a reason to put myself through that. Better to base in Nashville and travel out of town on the weekends when needed.

Anyway, there are still lots of ways to make a living with music if you are hungry and talented and will not give up.

Archived