Reorganizing a studio versus inertia

• Members

This seems like a real "in the trenches" sort of topic.

Everything changes.

I dont use my hardware sampler anymore.

Two of my old compressors I now realize I dont ever want in my chain.

My old Akai HD recorder is in the rack just because I sometimes want to transfer some old material to better produce it.

I rarely use my original outboard pres since Ive upgraded to a GR NV.

Since accumulating more instruments and amps I need to make space.

As much as possible I like to have chains to the recorder in-place for often used equipment. That list of equipment has changed.

The thought of re-optimizing the whole arrangement has got me almost paralyzed. Id rather be making music. If I take the akai recorder away I expect the following week I'll end up wanting to hook it up to access some old files.

I know I'm just whining. However, Im stuck in place right now realizing that I need to do this - and dreading it at the same time.

Anyone have a magic wand for this? A robot? :D

• Moderators

I'm with you.

My studio is torn apart right now. I went and bought a couple of those cheap drawer units that will fit behind my desk and sweet spot unseen between the desk and the front wall where the "couch" used to go. Mics, cables, connectors, etc. all go in. Of course I then take the oppotunity to tear it all apart and recable the works...

So guess what's in the middle of the floor right now. Everything.

• Members

i think im going to pack up my old sampler and sound modules...

there is becoming less and less of a reason for a rack at all anymore, aside from preamps of course and a few pieces of outboard for tracking through. maybe a few verbs as well. and sfx type stuff.

• Members

I did this about a year ago. Sold a bunch of stuff on eBay, trimmed down and re-thought the layout of what rack gear remained.

Totally worthwhile. I don't know if I would have finished my CD project with the old set up slowing me down in the certain ways it did.

• Members

I try and do this when I am out of "creative mode" (in other words, not in the middle of a big project). I try and get rid of some stuff, rewire things, etc. whenever possible, like when I am also organizing and cleaning other parts of the house. I hate doing this kind of stuff, and would much rather be doing music, but streamlining everything does really make things easier to create later on.

Downtime is the right time... ;)

Seriously, if you're not using something, do you hang on to it? If so, for how long?

If you have not used something in over a year, and don't see any possible way you would want or need to use it, I'd suggest pulling it out of the rack and giving it or selling it to someone who can / will use it. If you don't use it, and you think you might need it later (like me with my Sony DAT), then hang on to it.

Don't always chase the latest and greatest stuff though. Spend a bit of time to really do an objective evaluation of where your signal chain is weak, and work towards improving those areas. When you have a system that does work well for you, carefully consider if a new addition will make a significant difference or add significantly to your setup's capabilities. If it does, jump on it... but if not, maybe the time would be better utilized with learning to get the most out of what you already have than it would be with crawling around behind your racks replacing things just to add something new. :)

• Members

So it's not just me going crazy then ... I'm going through the trauma of a major studio restructure. I've bought a bunch of new stuff, and now i'm tripping over old stuff. (That Sony DAT's gotta go ... i'll never use it again, 16 noisy bits of tape jamming frustration). Cables everywhere. Furniture getting in the way. Whenever I think about sorting it out, I just start playing drums, or bass or guitar or keyboard and then all time available is gone.

I get the most done when I ask my wife to help sort me out ... desperate measure.

Archived