How many of you play 80's hair metal?

eroom

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

Not so much hair metal, Poison and such, but early metal, Judas Priest, Sabbath, etc. I just never stopped.

I don't really think of Priest and Sabbath as hair metal. I tend to leave that category for dands like Cinderella and Poison. Am I wrong to exclude Priest and Sabbath from the hair metal tag?

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

I don't really think of Priest and Sabbath as hair metal. I tend to leave that category for dands like Cinderella and Poison. Am I wrong to exclude Priest and Sabbath from the hair metal tag?

Nope.

hair metal to me is essentially the mid 80's LA scene.

• Members

Am I wrong to exclude Priest and Sabbath from the hair metal tag?.................NO!, IMHO you are right on. Besides, Sabbath and Priest are/were the real thing and still going at it. How many of those hair bands can you say that for?

I must admit, I was suckered into the hair band thing for a brief moment but got over it pretty quickly.

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

Well they had hair and they played metal.

• Members

We were all suckered in a for a bit, me by bands like Ratt, Whitesnake and Cinderella -- who are really good hard blues rock bands below the makeup and spandex. I never went for the Poison, Firehouse, Bon Jovi, Britney Fox, Warrant school of it...

Even real metal bands dressed like hair bands during that era, especially Ozzy!

And that early Pantera, I used to see them back in those days -- they were never hair metal. That picure is years before the term hair metal and was how most bands dressed in the early 80s. Even Iron Maiden and Metallica did the spandex thing! That was just metal in those days.. THe hair bands took it a lot further!

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

We were all suckered in a for a bit, me by bands like Ratt, Whitesnake and Cinderella -- who are really good hard blues rock bands below the makeup and spandex. I never went for the Poison, Firehouse, Bon Jovi, Britney Fox, Warrant school of it...

And that early Pantera, I used to see them back in those days -- they were never hair metal. That picure is years before the term hair metal and was how most bands dressed in the early 80s. Even Iron Maiden and Metallica did the spandex thing! That was just metal in those days.. THe hair bands took it a lot further!

I actually have all of Pantera's pre CFH albums. Some of it is quite hair metal sounding... Check out I am the night, or Projects in the Jungle

• Members
Originally posted by curseoftruth

Let's not lump Bon Jovi in with the likes of Warrant and Britny Fox, that's just wrong. Mr. Sambora can play a mean guitar!
:thu:

And, I know you live in the area, but up until "Power Metal", I think the comparison of Pantera is much more akin to the Hair Metal of the day. Listen to "PST 88", "Power Metal", "Hard Ride", and especially anything before Anselmo. They played Cinderella covers when Terrence Lee was their singer, if that says anything. Definitely Hair Metal. . .

• Members

Hair bands are what got me wanting to play guitar. If I had been into the "techno" scene or something like that, my hands would have never picked up such a great instrument!

So yah I am a bit emberassed to say that I owned Poison, Crue, Jon Bon Right On, Whitesnake, Cinderella, Tesla, etc etc albums from time to time. But to be honest, my only emberassment comes from the fact that I was young and couldn't see the cheese factor of the makeup and bling aspect of the time. The whole image thing was emberassing. There is no emberassment about the music. :o :o

• Members

Originally posted by GRANKOR

I actually have all of Pantera's pre CFH albums. Some of it is quite hair metal sounding... Check out I am the night, or Projects in the Jungle

VERY hair metal. But, hey, it was cool back then.

I'm not really into Poison or Warrant (anymore), but much of the other Hair Metal has some damn good guitar stuff going on. Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, and some others are/were pretty good.

On occasion, I do still listen to Crue, Tesla, Skid Row, RATT, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Autograph, Aldo Nova, Cheap Trick, Cinderella, Great White, Dangerous Toys, Tora Tora, The Cult, Def Leppard, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, Guns N Roses, Bruce Kulick Era Kiss, Loverboy, Night Ranger, White Lion, Winger, etc.

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

I'm a big Savatage fan, but I never know where to lump them in. Prog metal with some hair metal tendencies? Either way they kick ass in all departments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPbFtB_GgY&search=savatage%20edge%20of%20thorns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxWhffQ2wI&search=savatage%20gutter%20ballet

:thu:

Hmm... dunno.

I'll never take them seriously again after "Conversation Piece"

Never has "cup of tea" been sung with such attitude.....

:D

Archived