How many of you play 80's hair metal?

eroom

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

I'm a big Savatage fan, but I never know where to lump them in. Prog metal with some hair metal tendencies? Either way they kick ass in all departments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPbFtB_GgY&search=savatage%20edge%20of%20thorns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxWhffQ2wI&search=savatage%20gutter%20ballet

:thu:

They rocked! I would lump them in with the likes of Queensryche and such. The hair was definitely going on, but they did have "progressive tendencies."
:D

Did you ever have/hear David Chastain's "For those who dare"? Pretty decent album, along similar lines. Annihilator was pretty good, too (Never, Neverland), but that's bordering on speed metal...

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

Hmm... dunno.

I'll never take them seriously again after "Conversation Piece"

Never has "cup of tea" been sung with such attitude.....

haha yeah that cracks me up, their lyrics were a little goofy, but so much talent in the instrumental and even the vocal department though :)

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

haha yeah that cracks me up, their lyrics were a little goofy, but so much talent in the instrumental and even the vocal department though
:)

I was watching a program about viruses (the human kind), and they kept playing this piano jingle that was a complete rip off of edge of thorns, it just had a few notes taken out and gaps left....

Criss was a great loss :(

• Members
Originally posted by GibsonQC

They rocked! I would lump them in with the likes of Queensryche and such. The hair was definitely going on, but they did have "progressive tendencies."

Did you ever have/hear David Chastain's "For those who dare"? Pretty decent album, along similar lines. Annihilator was pretty good, too (Never, Neverland), but that's bordering on speed metal...

I had the pleasure of seeing Chastain in concert a few times in the 80's. He's pretty damn good!:thu:

• Members

Let us not forget GRIM REAPER!!! If I could find a picture of that pig of a lead singer they had, Id post it. Somebody find one quick!!
My favorite was definately Dokken. Even before I was playing guitar, I remember thinking that the guitars just sounded different than everyone else. They were crunchier, and I liked it.

• Members

Originally posted by Norton666

Let us not forget GRIM REAPER!!! If I could find a picture of that pig of a lead singer they had, Id post it. Somebody find one quick!!

My favorite was definately Dokken. Even before I was playing guitar, I remember thinking that the guitars just sounded different than everyone else. They were crunchier, and I liked it.

there's one at http://www.angelfire.com/band/GrimReaper/interviews.htm

here's a quote from the article lol

"But did you have any strange encounters over there? Apart from demolishing gas pumps (a story too long to explain here!)!? "Well at one of the gigs there was this really weird girl, a real hippy type looking like something from the late sixties and throughout the gig she tried to "hypnotise" us with an amulet - I couldn't stop laughing! She was very weird! We did hear of one place we played where the previous week SANTERS had appeared and nobody could get out afterwards 'cos there was a sniper outside just waiting to kill a few people! I did notice that the American audiences are very much into that DIO devil sign with their fingers. We had one set of fans who followed us in this van to a few shows in the East who called themselves 'The Doom Society'. They had a motto that said "you can't kill us we're already dead." They were OK - always down the front.""

• Members

I like Skid Row and Motley Crue esp shout at the devil.I bought the bonus version a few months ago it has Looks that Kill video you can play on the pc.If that isn't 80's Hair metal I dont know what is,Big hair,Pointy guitars, chicks on all fours(also w/big hair) and of course lots of fire.

• Members

I actually met these guys at a record signing in 1985. They were at a place called "Record Alley" in Northern Kentucky. He signed a poster for me "See you in Hell mate." :D
I also met Blackie Lawless of Wasp there too. The glory days of Metal! :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by eroom

I actually met these guys at a record signing in 1985. They were at a place called "Record Alley" in Northern Kentucky. He signed a poster for me "See you in Hell mate."
I also met Blackie Lawless of Wasp there too. The glory days of Metal!
:cool:

Record Alley awas the place to go if you were a metal fan of any kind in the Tristate!! Cool place!!

• Members

Originally posted by eroom

Don't be bashful. How many of you love the 80's shredder/wanker hair metal bands. I'd be lying, if I said that it didn't influence me.

Got me in that club dude:D

Ratt,Cinderella,Dokken-they all ruled and still do:thu:

I still have the waist length hair too:D

• Members

Beavis: That guy's got that face that you get when you eat too many of those urinal mints

I loved the video for "Rock you to hell". I always wanted a bright green guitar after that.

And Weezer suck. :mad:

• Members

Gotta realize that at the time, hair metal was pop music. It was everywhere and influencing other styles of music. And there wasn't alot of choices. CD players were only starting to be mass used in the early/mid 80's. No internet music. The airwaves and MTV were full of hair metal and the option to that was Madonna, Prince and Micheal Jackson. So hell ya , if you were a guitar player in your 20's at the time, whats not to like about chicks in bars trying to be video sluts, Exessive partying, and guitar solos? Gotta say i'm way more a Judas, Sabbath, Madien type but in a way it was like my style of music was the {censored} for awhile. And I have a hard time saying Poison and Metal in the same sentence!

• Members

That's what I cut my teeth on. I still play a little Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Dokken and there's a Ratt tune I can still recall from memory. After a few months of learning this stuff I discovered San Francisco metal band called Metallica and a blues guitarist from Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughan. From there my musical tastes took a detour.

• Members

Great to see other Savatage fans here! Most under-rated band in the world, IMO, though I feel they got better and better AFTER the hair metal stuff.

Zachary Stevens, IMO, has the absolute best voice in Rock/Metal. I wish he was still with them.

Archived