10 things you should really know...

voneville

• Members

Single coil pickups hum and are generally noisey. Yes there are things you can do to reduce hum, but it will change the sound.

Just because a guitar is cheap doesn't make it a piece of crap.

Just because a guitar is expensive doesn't mean it's not a piece of crap.

Semi-Hollows feedback. You can reduce feedback by making them less of a semi-hollow, and you'll change the sound too.

Tube amps generally sound better then transister amps.

Having 20 guitars doesn't make you a better guitarist.

Any post about anything is worthless without a pic. It's worth a thousand words and your 1000 word post won't get read.

p90tele.jpg

a 5,000,000 post count doesn't mean your right.

Use the SEARCH button, it's amazing how many of our questions can be answered in a couple of clicks. If you're too lazy to read the 100 pages about if an agile is a good guitar chances are people are sick of answering the same question.

If you don't like people disagreeing with you don't post your opinions in a public forum.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Single coil pickups hum and are generally noisey. Yes there are things you can do to reduce hum, but it will change the sound.

Semi-Hollows feedback. You can reduce feedback by making them less of a semi-hollow, and you'll change the sound too.

Any post about anything is worthless without a pic. It's worth a thousand words and your 1000 word post won't get read.

Use the SEARCH button, it's amazing how many of our questions can be answered in a couple of clicks. If you're too lazy to read the 100 pages about if an agile is a good guitar chances are people are sick of answering the same question.

If you don't like people disagreeing with you don't post your opinions in a public forum.

The "Search" button it a very good point.

• Members

Uh, you'd better check your math, because it seems to me that having 20 guitars DOES make me 20X a better guitarist than any guitarist with just 1 guitar.

I mean, it's 19 more idn't it??

:confused:

• Members

1. I always want another guitar.

2. I want to leave New Jersey but my biz is here.

3. I drive too much.

4. My brother-in-law is past due again.

5. I need a bigger house.

6. I dislike Sam Ash on Rt 22 in Springfield, NJ.

7. I make a mortgage payment to Exxon/Mobil every month.

8. Three words that don't go together..."objective Yankee fan".

9. 24 hours are not enough for me.

10. See # 1.

• Members

Originally posted by veil

5 is misleading and doesn't consider context of use.

See number 10 :) I agree to disagree. I can't think of one instance that I would rather have a solid state amp over a tube amp, as far as making an electric guitar louder goes. Your opinion may vary :)

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

1. I always want another guitar.

2. I want to leave New Jersey but my biz is here.

3. I drive too much.

4. My brother-in-law is past due again.

5. I need a bigger house.

6. I dislike Sam Ash on Rt 22 in Springfield, NJ.

7. I make a mortgage payment to Exxon/Mobil every month.

8. Three words that don't go together..."objective Yankee fan".

9. 24 hours are not enough for me.

10. See # 1.

Bbreaker i think numbers 1 and 10 are the reasons for number 5 ;)

:D

• Members

I'll add:

- It is (with very few exceptions) impossible to achieve [insert guitarist name here]'s tone with a 25 watt solid state amp in your bedroom.

- Changing pickups will not make you a better player

-Practice isn't practice unless you're challenging yourself.

- We can all play the key riff from Enter Sandman, Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven, and Smells Like Teen Spirit. You're not impressing anyone, at any guitar store, anywhere, ever - regardless of how loud you play, what guitar you're using or how much work you've put into it. Please stop.

• Members

Include P90's in this.

People want this statement to be not true. But it is true. Generally. Exceptions might (or might not) include people who kack up their sound with multiple pedals and then a few more pedals. Or people addicted to modeling.

I'm sorry, but this statement is false. Sheesh.

This staement is also false. I admit that MANY posts are improved by adding a pic, especially posts about how beautiful or ugly a particular guitar is. I'm a big offender, and I admit that a lot of my posts would be much better if I took the time to add a decent photo or two. BUT ...a lot of people just lay on picture links that are not very useful. Many things are better said with text. Such as this post! Isn't it cool and good?

This is false. Just kidding. This is totally true, plus more true!

This is +1 true. People who post a lot, and people who make sense, may or may not be the same people.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarNed

People want this statement to be not true. But it is true. Generally. Exceptions might (or might not) include people who kack up their sound with multiple pedals and then a few more pedals. Or people addicted to modeling.

No actually it's not true. Not even generally. Vice versa isn't true either. Please learn to distinguish opinion from fact.

• Members

See number 10
:)
I agree to disagree. I can't think of one instance that I would rather have a solid state amp over a tube amp, as far as making an electric guitar louder goes. Your opinion may vary
:)

If the amp is a Blues Jr,Hot Rod Deluxe,etc,there are SS or hybrid amps that I'd definitely rather have. I like the Vox AD series a lot,especially the higher end models.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarNed

Include P90's in this.

I'm sorry, but this statement is false. Sheesh.

This staement is also false. I admit that MANY posts are improved by adding a pic, especially posts about how beautiful or ugly a particular guitar is. I'm a big offender, and I admit that a lot of my posts would be much better if I took the time to add a decent photo or two. BUT ...a lot of people just lay on picture links that are not very useful. Many things are better said with text. Such as this post! Isn't it cool and good?

This is false. Just kidding. This is totally true, plus more true!

This is +1 true. People who post a lot, and people who make sense, may or may not be the same people.

P90's are STILL single coils,same as they've always been.

• Members

1) KISS is the greatest band in history

b) Ace Frehley is the best guitarist to ever crap between two shoes

4) In the future, the Beatles will be remembered as the band who prepared the way for KISS

e) After hearing KISS, Eric Clapton realized he was unworthy of playing Gibsons & started playing girly Fenders

7) Randy Rhoads used to ride the bitchseat on Ace Frehley's chopper

d) Being Gene's spunk receptacle extended Cher's career by over two decades

10) Chet Atkins was assassinated by Nashville hitmen to prevent the release of "Chet Atkins KISSes His Own Axe"

• Members

Originally posted by wedgehed II

1) KISS is the greatest band in history

b) Ace Frehley is the best guitarist to ever crap between two shoes

4) In the future, the Beatles will be remembered as the band who prepared the way for KISS

e) After hearing KISS, Eric Clapton realized he was unworthy of playing Gibsons & started playing girly Fenders

7) Randy Rhoads used to ride the bitchseat on Ace Frehley's chopper

d) Being Gene's spunk receptacle extended Cher's career by over two decades

10) Chet Atkins was assassinated by Nashville hitmen to prevent the release of "Chet Atkins KISSes His Own Axe"

I would laugh at that if my hatred for KISS wasn't so deeply seeded.

• Members

When it comes to fx

just because you have 20 pedals at your disposal doesn't mean every one should be on. 2 maybe 3 @ most IMO

also never use idiot settings (all knobs turned up) on anything whether it be an amp or a pedal.

Look after your gear someone worked hard for it. If you want to spin it around your waist use cliploks or straploks. Don't be a douche, you'll hurt yourself, the guitar or your crowd.

If you know something help someone when they ask for help. Everyone knew nothing @ one point.

• Members

Partly disagree. You may find crappy expensive guitars, but usually most crap (and the worst crap) are found in the cheap end.

Most semipro/pro players wouldn't work with a cheap guitar. It's like a skilled craftsman. Sure, they can drill a hole using a cheap chinese drill, but they're not using a creap drill. They're using quality gear, like a DeWalt drill. Why? Because it's a reliable workhorse, and it'll make them do their job faster and with less problems.

Archived