10 things you should really know...

voneville

• Members

1. Pickups determine a LOT of a guitar's sound.

2. You're wasting your time ordering more than 2 ingredients on a pizza...the extra stuff just competes for space and it's a waste of money.

3. A lot of modern tubes sound better than vintage tubes that cost a fortune (see sig)

4. Never sell a used guitar to a music store. Ebay is your friend.

5. Building an electric guitar from parts will cost you far more than buying a guitar at a store with similar features.

6. You really need to quit buying so many guitars, pedals and amps, and concentrate more on computer recording equipment and PA equipment.

7. Chicks don't know anything about guitars. Instead of spending two grand on one to impress them, just tell them that your guitar cost that. They will totally believe you and not question you on this because guitars bore them.

8. A stripper might give you her phone number, but don't call it...that's lame and deperate.

9. Contrary to popular opinion, it's difficult to get rich being a musician. Try to have something to fall back on like a doctotate degree or a trust fund or something.

10.Buy gold in times of inflation.

• Members

A) Single coil pickups hum and are generally noisey. Yes there are things you can do to reduce hum, but it will change the sound.

It didn't change the sound of my guitars, it just lowered the hum. Changing the sound by lowering the hum is the idea.

B) Just because a guitar is cheap doesn't make it a piece of crap.

No but is sure helps

C)Just because a guitar is expensive doesn't mean it's not a piece of crap.

No but is sure helps.

D)Semi-Hollows feedback. You can reduce feedback by making them less of a semi-hollow, and you'll change the sound too.

Of course they feed back, that the point of a semi-hollow. My gosh, hasn't anyone watched Ted Nugent control his feedback during a show. Use it to you advantage and stop crying.

E)Tube amps generally sound better then transister amps.

If you goal is to jam with you amp on 10 all the time, of course it sounds better. I like distortion at a lower level however.

F)Having 20 guitars doesn't make you a better guitarist.

You're right, it makes you a collector who probably knows something about guitars.

G)Any post about anything is worthless without a pic. It's worth a thousand words and your 1000 word post won't get read.

That's just dumb.

G)a 5,000,000 post count doesn't mean your right.

Well heck if you were right only a 5th of that time that would kick anybody's butt around here.

H)Use the SEARCH button, it's amazing how many of our questions can be answered in a couple of clicks. If you're too lazy to read the 100 pages about if an agile is a good guitar chances are people are sick of answering the same question.

I don't want to do research I want to debate on a public form. If you're to lazy to answer, don't.

I)If you don't like people disagreeing with you don't post your opinions in a public forum.

Make sure you take your own advice.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Sr.

I)If you don't like people disagreeing with you don't post your opinions in a public forum.

Make sure you take your own advice.

I loved all the responses actually, including yours. This was just a comic relief response to seeing a lot of the same stuff gone over and over around here.

If I wanted to stir the pot I would say things like:

Gibsons Suck buy an Agile.

My squier sidekick 15 kicks your Marshalls ass!

Clapton was pure {censored}, and JJ Pistols smokes his limey ass (okay, well that one is true).

I do however stand behind all of my statements in my original posts, they're trueisms to me. If people disagree that's fine, I a, a very open minded person. That's why I come here. I wonder about some people though.

• Members

Originally posted by wedgehed II

1) KISS is the greatest band in history

b) Ace Frehley is the best guitarist to ever crap between two shoes

4) In the future, the Beatles will be remembered as the band who prepared the way for KISS

e) After hearing KISS, Eric Clapton realized he was unworthy of playing Gibsons & started playing girly Fenders

7) Randy Rhoads used to ride the bitchseat on Ace Frehley's chopper

d) Being Gene's spunk receptacle extended Cher's career by over two decades

10) Chet Atkins was assassinated by Nashville hitmen to prevent the release of "Chet Atkins KISSes His Own Axe"

Rule #1: Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read.

• Members

Originally posted by aclarke

- We can all play the key riff from Enter Sandman, Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven, and Smells Like Teen Spirit. You're not impressing anyone, at any guitar store, anywhere, ever - regardless of how loud you play, what guitar you're using or how much work you've put into it. Please stop.

Absolutely the most unquestionable truth I've ever read on this forum. Kudos to you.

• Members

Originally posted by aclarke

- We can all play the key riff from Enter Sandman, Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven, and Smells Like Teen Spirit. You're not impressing anyone, at any guitar store, anywhere, ever - regardless of how loud you play, what guitar you're using or how much work you've put into it. Please stop.

Is it possible that somewone might use these riffs to check out a new guitar in order to see how it does in several styles, quickly? I mean, you have metal, classic rock, acoustic-style, and grunge, all easily done in four neat cliche's.

Do these four intros necessarily connotate guitar shop "posing"?

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Is it possible that somewone
might
use these riffs to check out a new guitar in order to see how it does in several styles, quickly? I mean, you have metal, classic rock, acoustic-style, and grunge, all easily done in four neat cliche's.

Do these four intros necessarily connotate guitar shop "posing"?

I wonder if Banjo players start playing Dueling Banjo's everytime they check out a new Banjo!

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

I wonder if Banjo players start playing Dueling Banjo's everytime they check out a new Banjo!

Ding-a-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding.

(Ding-a-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding.)

Ding-a-ding-Ding-ding.

(Ding-a-ding-Ding-ding.)

etc.

deliverance2.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by InterpolJaguar

Hey! Here in Iceland the gas is 8$+ per gallon

We average around 95p per litre, which is $7.65 (US) per gallon, so we're not too far behind...

It's scary that there's a place where people pay more for petrol that us mugs in Britain!

:(

Archived