Ebay sniping

• Moderators

I am {censored}ing soooooooooo pissed. 4 secs away from owning a Matamp Minimat......and some {censored} took it away with one aimed bid, a practise I understand is called sniping. Can someone tell me how I can do this. These amps don't come up often, and there's one more around.

Is EZ sniper any good, you get three free auctions.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Fosse Fox

I am {censored}ing soooooooooo pissed. 4 secs away from owning a Matamp Minimat......and some {censored} took it away with one aimed bid, a practise I understand is called sniping. Can someone tell me how I can do this. These amps don't come up often, and there's one more around.

Is EZ sniper any good, you get three free auctions.
:cry:

That sucks man. I've never used a software to snipe, I just do it the old fashion way. It's what you gotta do to win.

• Members

You don't need software. Place the highest proxy bid with the largest amount of money you are willing to spend.

It's not about who is "quicker", it's about who bids the highest.

• Members

Originally posted by sunset_gun

You don't need software. Place the highest proxy bid with the largest amount of money you are willing to spend.

That's the point I'm at now.. just got tired of messing around with sniping, being tied to the computer refreshing like a maniac...

Bottom line - if there is an upper limit to what you are willing to spend, AND you're firm with that limit and enter that as your max bid, you can't be sniped. You can just be outbid.

• Members

Be the highest bidder. Did you bid your max? If so,someone else offered more,regardless of whether they offered more in the first minute of the auction or the last second. If you didn't bid your max,well,who do you think you should be mad at?

• Members

Originally posted by Funderbunk

That's the point I'm at now.. just got tired of messing around with sniping, being tied to the computer refreshing like a maniac...

Bottom line - if there is an upper limit to what you are willing to spend, AND you're
firm
with that limit and enter that as your max bid, you can't be sniped. You can just be outbid.

Exactly. I'm not saying place that bid two days before auction end, just that the only way to lose is to be outbid. Place the highest proxy bid whenever you normally would bid.

• Members
Originally posted by ArrMatey

I almost got sniped today but thank god my bid was higher than his but I hate when you have an amp that gets sniped like that. that should be made illegal.

How or why would you do that? The auction is open for a certain amount of time but you can't bid towards the end of it?

• Members

- With sniping software I don't have to be at my computer to bid when the auction ends at 4:00 AM or in the middle of a work day.

- Bidding much before the last minute of the auction only drives the final price up because there's always some idiot with a compulsive gambling problem who feels compelled to "win" the auction even if it costs more than the retail price.

- The above has nothing to do with the proxy bidding system. You still place your highest possible bid. You just do it in the last minute.

• Members

Bad part about max bidding is if the seller is sly, he can use a seperate account to keep bumping up the price by poking at your bid.

Also, it sucks if the winning bid was only like 10$ over your max bid. The max you're willing to pay is pretty dependent on other bids.

• Members
Originally posted by aussy

Bad part about max bidding is if the seller is sly, he can use a seperate account to keep bumping up the price by poking at your bid.

Also, it sucks if the winning bid was only like 10$ over your max bid. The max you're willing to pay is pretty dependent on other bids.

Why would your maximum bid be dependant on anything other than what you can afford and what you are willing to pay?

• Members

Originally posted by sunset_gun

Thats what it has come down to for me. I just place my max bid and let it roll. I hardly ever win anything off of e-bay though. To many people willing to spend more than me. I find E-bay pretty pricey for most gear. But then again I am a cheap bastard. One thing I found usefull is to modify my search for "close driving distance". Most people dont mind a pick-up. Saves a few bucks on shipping (minus gas) and you get the item faster.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Thats what it has come down to for me. I just place my max bid and let it roll. I hardly ever win anything off of e-bay though.....

This is exactly why sniping software works.

• Moderators

Originally posted by dewees

- With sniping software I don't have to be at my computer to bid when the auction ends at 4:00 AM or in the middle of a work day.

- Bidding much before the last minute of the auction only drives the final price up because there's always some idiot with a compulsive gambling problem who feels compelled to "win" the auction even if it costs more than the retail price.

- The above has nothing to do with the proxy bidding system. You still place your highest possible bid. You just do it in the last minute.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of that especially the {censored}ed in the head compulsive bidders, but more especially, the sellers who use third party IDs to drive the price of their goods up. I've already been victim of that and luckily enough was quick enough to spot his previous buyers and how he'd relisted stuff that he'd sold to the same bidders.

Ebay and auctions in general are not about putting the highest bid and if some one maxs it the hey ho, and if you believe it is, then you should let your wife or girlfriend look after your money.

Some of you really have as much clue as a cow's arse.

• Members

Like I said, if you really have a maximum amount you're willing to spend, you simply can't be "sniped", just outbid.

Say there's a MegaCaster WonderStrat 2000 I want, but I don't want to spend more than $200.

I enter my max bid at $200; doesn't matter when. The only way I won't win the auction is if someone enters a bid more than $200. Doesn't matter if it's 2 days before the end of the auction, or 2 seconds; doesn't matter if it's $200 more or 2 cents more - the only way I won't win is to be outbid.

Now, I know some of you are sitting there saying, "Dude, like if it was only 2 cents more, you wouldn't bid more?" And the answer is no. Because that 2 cents doesn't stay 2 cents, it keeps on creeping up until you've paid far more than you ever really wanted to. And, if I was willing to pay more than $200, that's how much I should have entered as my max bid. That's how you see stuff selling for more than retail, or used gear going for new gear prices - people trying to get a great deal get caught up in the competition.

It takes a bit of self-discipline, and you have to leave the emotion out of it. But it makes eBay a whole lot less stressful.

• Moderators
Originally posted by Funderbunk

Now, I know some of you are sitting there saying, "Dude, like if it was only 2 cents more, you wouldn't bid more?" And the answer is no.

You wouldn't pay an extra 2 cents for something you really wanted?:rolleyes:

You sound like the sort of person who drives up the prices of auctions. If you're not prepared to win summat bad enough, you should let the people who really want the stuff win it.

• Members

You wouldn't pay an extra 2 cents for something you really wanted?
:rolleyes:

If I really wanted it, and I was willing to pay more, THAT's what I would have entered as my max bid. The problem comes from bidders who don't know how much they want something, other than "dude, a lot!!!". That's great, but this is a business deal - "a lot" is not a solid number. You can't paypal someone "a lot".

You have to sit down with yourself, and honestly ask yourself how much money - in a definite dollar figure - are you willing to part with to get this?

You sound like the sort of person who drives up the prices of auctions. If you're not prepared to win summat bad enough, you should let the people who really want the stuff win it.

How do I drive up the price of auctions? If I'm willing to pay $200 bucks for something, the only way to beat me is to be willing to pay more. If they "really want the stuff", then they have to be willing to spend more than I'm willing to spend - that's all there is to it.

Archived