Does anybody here record with their PC?

kwakatak

• Members

If so, how do you record your electric rig? I'm able to do it with my acoustic guitar using a Shure PG57 and a Behringer mixer to my PC but since I've tried it with my electric rig I've been having difficulties.

What's the best way to wire your amp to your PC, preferably while disabling the speaker so that I can play by headphones. As far as I can tell, there's no way to easily do this with my Hot Rod Deluxe.

BTW, plugging my Strat straight into a 1/4" input on the Behringer works but it sounds flat and lifeless.

• Members

I go straight into my soundcard with my V-Amp. If you're set on using your Fender, you're going to need to mic it.

I've decided that it was worth the $$ for the modeller, since it allows me to play late at night and get a decent tone easily.

Larry

• Members

Thanks for the replies. :)

I guess I'll have to stick with the mic/mixer to PC formula then. I did try it once with the mic about 6" from the edge of the speaker cone (as directed on the card that came with the microphone) and it sounded decent on the playback.

• Members

I use an M-audio black box. For pc recording is sounds better then micing up my tube amps and such. . plus the black box has bass amp models and vocal pre-amp models and an XLR input for recording vocals. It's basicaly an m-box for guitar, only cheaper.

For software I have the full version of ableton live 5 and I use reason 3.0 for most of my drums and synths

-W

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Sounds like you're losing some highs in the process? Remember, you have to EQ based on how the recording sounds, not the original tone...

Larry

+1

I move the mic around until I get close to the sound I'm hearing in the room, then adjust EQ as needed.

FWIW I go mic -> behringer mixer -> soundblaster PCI128. It's more than adequate for home stuff.

BTW I use audacity (free download) to record and tweak afterward. It will do a lot of stuff with audio, although obviously it isn't pro-tools.

• Members

My son records all his songs on dircect using an old DG-Stomp w/Amp sim. engaged direct to computer sound card. All acoustic is run straight into comp. sound card and using onboard EQ. Check out this song my son just finished recording. He writes, records and plays All the instruments himself. Check out the song

"The Dock". It's a really catchy little tune. Here's a link to his music.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=453803

• Members

Originally posted by thabridawg

Line 6 Toneport UX2

I use this as well and record both acoustic and electric. It's a great all in one solution that gives me much better quality than I got with a POD and/or mixer into the soundcard.

• Members

My Zoom installs a virtual audio card driver which lets you record directly through USB.

The V-AMP Pro has an SP/DIF out which I connected to the digital in on my Audigy 2.

I think you could also connect the guitar to the mic in of your soundcard and add effects through software.

Jesusonic seems to be a nice virtual modeler (free):

http://www.jesusonic.com/

jesusonic_win32_099.gif

Reaper (by the same guys) is still free, until it'll be out of the beta phase and becomes shareware. It comes with Jesusonic, too.

http://www.reaper.fm/

reaper0959-sm.gif

• Members

Actually I backed off on the highs using the tone control on the guitar (neck pickup). Settings on the HRD are TREBLE:6.5, BASS: 6.5, MIDDLE: 8. I do this as a matter of course because even with the neck pickup selected the Strat still has a bright tone. This seems to take the edge off.

As for PC software/hardware I also use Audacity which I've come to enjoy for its simplicity. On the hardware side all I'm using is the stock bare-bones Sound Blaster card that came with my Dell 4 years ago.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your replies. FWIW, I think that I'm also having an issue with excessive levels and there are a couple of instances where the signal could use some clipping, which I don't know how to do in Audacity.

Here's what I think I'm gonna do:

- tweak the tone settings on the guitar so that I don't lose so much of the high end.

- move the mic back another 6". The room I use is small, carpeted and stuffed full of junk - not to mention that the amp is in a corner - so it's acoustically "dead". When I record my acoustic it sounds like I'm playing inside a box and I usually have to run a reverb filter in Audacity. Hopefully by moving the mic back a little more I'll get a little of that ambient quality which I actually hate when recording my acoustic.

How's that for starters?

• Members

If you have an 8 ohm amp and you want to crank it but not blow away the neighbors a Palmer Speaker Simulator can be used in the place of you speakers. I use one with very good results.

pga04-front.jpg

http://www.palmergear.com/

When it comes to recording moderate volume with a mic I really like to use a Sennheiser e609 up close to the cab, into a JoeMeek British Channel.

Archived