IK Multimedia Releases T-RackS 3 Beyond Mastering (Discuss)

• Members

Hey guys,

The press release is on the main harmony central page, but you can read more about it on IK's site:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/features/

This product contains the tools that I am looking for... but I am not quite sure if I am willing to take the plunge. What do you think?

I'm considering getting something along these lines. Suggestions?

• Members

T-Racks is a very good product for mastering your mixdowns. I have an older version I used for a long time before I got waves. The version I had was a 4 band EQ, (2 were parametric and you has a low and high cut) Compressor and a limiter. Did a pretty good job. The thing I wished it had was another band or two of EQ which I think the new one has or a multiband compressor. They do have a nice batch of presets to work with as well and the program is super easy to use.

The newer version is much more extensive and may do a great job in mastering.

On the flip side I think $250 was pretty high for their old version, I think maybe $50 would have been reasonable for what it did. The newer version is $500. I would definately have to check it out before spending that kind of money. All you really need is the Frequenct Analizer, Multiband Compressor, and a great Brickwall Limiter to do most mastering. Everything else is nice to have but how often will you use it. If you're doing audio restorations or something where you really need it, it may be useful but for everyday stuff i doubt it.

For $99 I use Harbal for EQing. I then use Waves Multiband Compressor and then Waves Limiter. If those dont get it I definately a mixing issue that cant be fixed mastering and have to go back and fix the problem in the mix. I occasionally use Waves Reverb, EQ, and a few others but not too often.

• Members

T-Racks is a very good product for mastering your mixdowns. I have an older version I used for a long time before I got waves. The version I had was a 4 band EQ, (2 were parametric and you has a low and high cut) Compressor and a limiter. Did a pretty good job. The thing I wished it had was another band or two of EQ which I think the new one has or a multiband compressor. They do have a nice batch of presets to work with as well and the program is super easy to use.

The newer version is much more extensive and may do a great job in mastering.

On the flip side I think $250 was pretty high for their old version, I think maybe $50 would have been reasonable for what it did. The newer version is $500. I would definately have to check it out before spending that kind of money. All you really need is the Frequenct Analizer, Multiband Compressor, and a great Brickwall Limiter to do most mastering. Everything else is nice to have but how often will you use it. If you're doing audio restorations or something where you really need it, it may be useful but for everyday stuff i doubt it.

For $99 I use Harbal for EQing. I then use Waves Multiband Compressor and then Waves Limiter. If those dont get it I definately a mixing issue that cant be fixed mastering and have to go back and fix the problem in the mix. I occasionally use Waves Reverb, EQ, and a few others but not too often.

Thanks for the input. I've barely heard anyone talk about IKs plugins... except for some of their sample libraries over on the keyboard forum. I think I will eventually take the plunge on this new T-racks, seeing that it has exactly what I am looking for... and even though it doesn't come cheep, it's still cheeper than the alternative waves bundles. I would imagine that waves is better... but maybe I'll score lucky, and this may even be on par.

• Members

I never liked the "old" T-Racks as a masterting solution, but the new version has Fairchild and Pultec Emu's and are availible as plugins within your host, so I'm interested in that aspect. I just hope they live up to, or are better than the Waves/UAD or even BF emu's already availible.

• Members

IMO it's hard to get really great tracks out of Ozone, it's a specious plug.

If the new Tracks lives up to it's sonic claims it's well worth $500.

9 module processors

5 New T-RackS processors:

NEW

Vintage Tube Compressor/Limiter model 670

This model is based on the "Holy Grail" of compressors/limiters, the Fairchild 670. With a faithful reproduction of every control, this is an incredibly accurate model that captures every nuance of one of the best Fairchild units available.

NEW

Vintage Tube Program Equalizer

This model is based on what is universally known as one of the best and most musical program EQs ever made, the Pultec EQP-1A.

NEW

Opto compressor

Optical compression has a special sonic character that audiophiles can truly appreciate.

NEW

Intelligent, multi-algorithm Brickwall limiter

Multi-algorithm Brickwall limiter that can really make your masters loud without squashing them to a lifeless sound (unless you want that!).

NEW

High precision, high definition Linear Phase Equalizer

An accurate, high definition, high precision EQ that can be trusted for delicate Mastering tasks with 6 completely identical bands that can be set to all available filter types, and that can span the whole spectrum range.

4 Classic T-RackS processors:

Classic T-RackS Compressor, a Classic tube stereo compressor/leveler designed for mastering.

Classic T-RackS Multi-band Limiter, a Multiband master stereo limiter.

Classic T-RackS Clipper, a soft-clipping stage to create warm, saturated mastering effects.

Classic T-RackS Equalizer, a state-of-the-art six band parametric equalizer, modeled on classic top quality analog gear.

Lots of usable stuff there in theory. If the new optocompressor/linearphaseEQ and Fairchild/Pultec Emus are any good at all that's well worth the money right there. :thu:

I like IK's products, they have all kinds of great sounding kit out. SVX bass amp is good, Classik Reverb is very smooth, and SampleTank is a wonderful instrument. From what I've seen they are a good company who stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an IK product after trying it first -- too bad there's no trial for T-racks. No way in hell I'd buy any $500 software without putting it through its paces a few times first.

Looks good anyhow... :)

01.jpg

• Members

Lots of usable stuff there in theory. If the new optocompressor/linearphaseEQ and Fairchild/Pultec Emus are any good at all that's well worth the money right there.
:thu:

I like IK's products, they have all kinds of great sounding kit out. SVX bass amp is good, Classik Reverb is very smooth, and SampleTank is a wonderful instrument. From what I've seen they are a good company who stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an IK product after trying it first -- too bad there's no trial for T-racks. No way in hell I'd buy any $500 software without putting it through its paces a few times first.

Looks good anyhow...
:)

01.jpg

I completely agree with your post. I really want the correlation meters/phase meters, etc... I think as an analysis package, it looks and appears to be much more stream-lined than say a waves bundle (one of the only bundles with atleast some frequency/correlation/phasing meters). I think for the compressor models along with the linear phase EQ... it could be a wonderful package. I'd like to run it in tandem with the Ozone, just as a comparison tool.. and I really want a multi-band compressor - which is the only tool I desire that doesn't exist in T-Racks, but exists in Ozone.

I do all my writing in Ableton, and the program lacks those tools... and I got a pile of Logic Studio books. Eventually... I'll do off the tracks and transfer them over to Logic (when I finish the songs & and all the course material).

However, with T-racks, it may make it much easier to kick out some better sounding demos before bringing it into Logic.

I think it's worth the risk of tossing 500 bucks into a Native IK bundle, and the extra 300 or so for the Ozone package. I will do it sometime within the next couple of months (probably January when Ozone 4 arrives). The waves bundles are VERY pricey, and the stupid usb dongle thing pisses me off. I really hope IK doesn't use those.

• Members

The waves bundles are VERY pricey, and the stupid usb dongle thing pisses me off.

Amen.

I really hope IK doesn't use those.

AFAIK they dropped their "IKey" system for all their newest products because, as any honest/smart company must admit, dongles are a complete fail on every single front. Check first though -- in the past some of their stuff was dongled.

• Members

Ozone has a spectrum analyzer and a phase correlation display, which look just like what's in the screenshot above except they're green :). Featurewise, Ozone has everything this new IK package appears to have and more, with the notable exception of vintage gear emulations. But for me at least, vintage emulation are not what I'm looking for in a mastering tool. The "and more" part for Ozone is the "mastering reverb", which I've found to be a very good reverb that I actually use on individual tracks, and also a stereo widener module and a harmonic enhancer module which I haven't used much.

• Moderators

With Massey doing a viable replacement of the L2, and HarBal making an awesome phase linear eq and analyzer combined, I'm fine for my mastering. I still like the L2 and still use it but I wouldn't cry if forced to leave it for Massey's. It's the Phase Linear MB Compressor that keeps me stuck in Waves land.

The earlier T Racks stuff did not do it for me. But, I do like the Reverbs from IK Multimedia so it seems they've got some ears over there. I'll keep my eye on this as well.

All you really need is the Frequenct Analizer, Multiband Compressor, and a great Brickwall Limiter to do most mastering.

I think you'd probably want to add great EQ to that list too... I can't imagine any self respecting M.E. wanting to tackle their day to day work without a good EQ available to them. ;)

Har-Bal is actually a very good EQ for DIY mastering IMO. I was put off a bit at first due to some of the more "enthusiastic" claims in their early ads, but it really is pretty cool.

The first edition of the T Racks mastering suite didn't really knock me out. It was decent, and a good place to get started on a really low budget, but the UI looked rather cheesy IMO, and I didn't think the tools were really flexible enough, and it was lacking some of the features I personally would have wanted in a mastering suite...

The new version looks like they've refined and added to things significantly though; leaving only the sound quality to be determined - and the only way I can make a judgment on that is to have heard it, to have used it... and unfortunately, I haven't yet, so I can't comment there. But again, it does indeed look like a major upgrade to their previous stuff, so I doubt it's fair to judge the current version based on experiences with the previous one...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :o

• Members

With Massey doing a viable replacement of the L2, and HarBal making an awesome phase linear eq and analyzer combined, I'm fine for my mastering. I still like the L2 and still use it but I wouldn't cry if forced to leave it for Massey's. It's the Phase Linear MB Compressor that keeps me stuck in Waves land.

The earlier T Racks stuff did not do it for me. But, I do like the Reverbs from IK Multimedia so it seems they've got some ears over there. I'll keep my eye on this as well.

If you're on Pro Tools, you really need to check out McDSP ML4000. It's knocked everything else off the (virtual) rack for me.

• Members

Phil.

Yes you definately need a high quality EQ.

I like Har bal because its a combo EQ/Frequency analizer. Gets 2 jobs done at the same time.

Its also nice because it doesnt increase overall volume when making frequency corrections like a standard EQ does.

I also like Waves Q10 Parametric EQ. It has a nice can a clean high end and is very flexable great for things like

rolling off the low end on bass heavy issues too.

I occasionally use waves Reverbs, echos, etc but I have a tons stuff collecting dust on the hard drive,

When you have new toys you experiment with everything there you purchased.

Later when you know what everything does and find the main tools were all you really needed

you often kick yourseld in the butt and say Why the hell did I buy all that extra junk.

It just sets on the hard drive taking up space and never gets used.

Still its nice to have if you can afford it and its there if you ever need it.

Using mastering tools, If i find I'm having to over-enhance things its a red flag the mix is not right.

Thats really where the corrections must be addressed whenever possible.

Theres only so much you can do with a stereo mixdown and most of it is pretty darn amazing,

But when you identify something preventing the tools from doing a good job, dropping back a step is always the best solution.

When I compare material I did years ago to material now and the effort put into getting good final results

its like day and night having decent tools and the experience using them. But the method of getting those tools to work great cant be bought.

Even with the best tools it often takes hundreds of hours experience using them to get them to produce professional results.

Its like any paet of the recording process where any one step in the chain from Playing, Tracking, Mixing and mastering, if rushed or neglected, will have lacking results. With knowlege and experience, you can get almost identical results with different versions of the same types of tools.

Personal preference really boils down to how efficiantly the tools work for you to get great results.

Tools that provide Minimal effort for a bulk of the work is great. The same tools should also be capible of doing extremely precise work when its needed to achieve those same great results.

If they can do the job of an ax and a scalpel you have what you need to get most jobs done well.

The rest is just hard work and learning all the time.

• Members

Featurewise, Ozone has everything this new IK package appears to have and more, with the notable exception of vintage gear emulations. But for me at least, vintage emulation are not what I'm looking for in a mastering tool. The "and more" part for Ozone is the "mastering reverb"

Ozone always sounds like Ozone though...

Archived