More Guitar Center stupidity.

Excelsior

• Members

So, I went into the "premium" room where they house guitars and amps over $1k at my local GC.

Inside there was a 68 Stratocaster, beaten to {censored} for $35k. :freak:

But that's not what was dumb. So I see an absolutely BEAUTIFUL ibanez JEM [Vai style], I go to pull it off and play it, and bam. It's freaking attached to the guitar holder by a security tie at the headstock. What the {censored}.

It's a $1,200 guitar, but I can't play it myself?

The funny thig is FIVE minutes ago I was i the acoustics room, playing a beautiful $3,500 martin acoustic without anyone around.

So I can touch the fragile, ~$4k acoustics, but I can't check out any of the "premium" guitars when half of them are between $1-2k?

Stupid Guitar Center.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by sunset_gun

It's all about theft. You can't disassemble an acoustic like you can a bolt-on. They are significantly more difficult to steal.

disassembling a guitar and hiding it to get past security at the front door... :confused: :confused: :confused:

doesn't sound doable at all, sorry...

• Members

Originally posted by sunset_gun

It's all about theft. You can't disassemble an acoustic like you can a bolt-on. They are significantly more difficult to steal.

Are people actually that dumb?

"Sir, is that a guitar neck in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

• Members

^ I would pay to see that so much :D

In the expensive section of the Australian GC, we have a couple of epiphones in there, and the worst part are the weenagers that oggle them and go "I'm gonna sound like Green Day with this and my MG halfstack"

In the amp room, they have AVT stacks in there

• Members

I'm sure it was partially to keep 12, 13, 14, etc kids away from playing it. Seriously, imagine how many people are going to come in and want to play that guitar. Now, as a serious buyer, would you want to pay that much for a guitar now that probably has zipper, button marks, scratches, etc. That guitar would probably see more action than a $2 hooker if it weren't strapped down.

• Members
Originally posted by slvrsrpnt

one would need some big cavaties to hide the pieces parts in
:freak:

guitarNed smiles a big stupid dumbass smile and shifts his weight gently from one foot to the other. He winces, as if in pain.

guitarNed takes baby steps, shuffling toward the door.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

I'm sure it was partially to keep 12, 13, 14, etc kids away from playing it. Seriously, imagine how many people are going to come in and want to play that guitar. Now, as a serious buyer, would you want to pay that much for a guitar now that probably has zipper, button marks, scratches, etc. That guitar would probably see more action than a $2 hooker if it weren't strapped down.

+1

• Members

Thats what I figured.

• Members

AND...I'm sure you could just ask to play it. be sure to say the magic words too.:rolleyes:

• Members

Whose gonna take a bolt on neck guitar apart with no one noticing? If the people working there are that dumb that none would notice, they deserve to have their guitars stolen. Yes is really dumb to security tie guitars to stand so no one can play it, and 35K for a very beaten up guitar, no matter what it is also stupid imo.

• Members

I just hit quote so I could read your post without looking at your avatar.
:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by GuitarNoobie

disassembling a guitar and hiding it to get past security at the front door...
:confused:

doesn't sound doable at all, sorry...

When I worked at GC, we got a call from the store in Springfield, NJ. A guy on the larger end of the human norm made an aparatus out of coathangers that he wore under his coat that he hid two Parker Flies under. Unfortunately for him, one of the guitars let loose and fell to the floor as he was walking out.

People will do INSANE things to steal. I've worked in retail for 10 years... I've seen some crazy {censored}.

• Members
Originally posted by GilmourD

When I worked at GC, we got a call from the store in Springfield, NJ. A guy on the larger end of the human norm made an aparatus out of coathangers that he wore under his coat that he hid two Parker Flies under. Unfortunately for him, one of the guitars let loose and fell to the floor as he was walking out.

People will do INSANE things to steal. I've worked in retail for 10 years... I've seen some crazy {censored}.

that one would take the cake, but the "guy on the larger end of the human norm" already ate the {censored}in' thing... :D

• Members

At most Guitar Cetners, the high end room is close to the front door -- easy to grab and run. People try it, my friend is a manager at GC and they have it happen a couple of times a year. But they also put all of their Gibson Les Pauls (huge LP display) at this one 10 feet from the front door with only a small girl as the checkout person in the way. The high end acoustics are typically in the middle to the back of the store, so more distance and people to stop you. Its easier to pawn mid range electric than a high end acoustic I would think as well.

Archived