What's the best sounding solid state amp?

GAS Man

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Practically everybody hates the Marshall Valvestates but I
have TWO VS-65R's and love them...see sig for my other
amps. This IS a hybrid amp to be fair though.

I second the Roland JC-series for clean tones only.
My friend has an old Fender Stage 100 SS amp that has
OK OD channel and a great clean channel.

The Sans Amp PSA-21 feeding ANY main amp sounds good.

• Members

If you don't live in an apartment, condo, or have roommates, the Roland Cube 60 kicks ass.

Excellent sound quality - to my ears they did a really good job capturing classic guitar amp sounds. Full and warm, not tinny or flat.

For its price, I think it's the best engineered SS amp around. It's probably the smallest, loudest, and most durable, too.

If you do share walls, try the Cube 30.

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

I don't know if it's the best, but I auditioned every SS amp I could find before deciding on the Tech 21 Trademark 60. It is everything I want in a SS amp. Gives me any sound I need.

+1. I'm a tube junkie, but I have a TM 60 and love it.

• Members
Originally posted by garagebandking9

why hasn't an amp forum shredder come in here and said...

"the only good sounding SS amp is a dead SS amp"

{censored}, I'm surprised I didn't get flamed for plugging the Crate Power Block. Good thing I posted that comment here instead of the Amp forum. They're downright brutal over there sometimes. :D

im partial to my princeton 112...first "real" amp from years ago...it get the job done in the bedroom...if you know what i mean...

You had sex with your amp??? :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by RUExp?

Considering you can buy a Peavey ValveKing for the same price as a Peavey Bandit there's no reason not to buy tube. I've got both and the bandit only really sounds good at lower volume.

The question of my post was partly because, I've got tubes coming out my ass. Pardon the French.

I also have the Roland JC120, but it's too sterile sounding with {censored} distortion. But a nice amp in its own right. Nice "spatial" sound to it. It's also terrible at hiding your mistakes.

So the point is, sure I own no less than 5 amps with tubes in them, but it'd be nice to have a combo amp that comes close but with no worries. Something that won't start to fritz out, get microphonic, etc. And something that if you forget to turn it off, you don't feel like "{censored}, I just shortened the life of 9 tubes for nothing! :mad:

Damn, even my little Fender Pro Junior cost me a bill when it was its first time for new tubes. I was like "what's this re-biasing crap?" I thought it was like lightbulbs, match, screw in and play.

• Members

When I go to GC to test guitars, I play one of two amps (and I am a tube guy as well) for trying all guitars:

1. Line 6 Flextone III -- great range of tones

2. Vox AD120VTH through a 2x12 -- wasn't really paying attention at all and thought it was a tube amp until I looked and remembered what it was. Great range as well.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

When I go to GC to test guitars, I play one of two amps (and I am a tube guy as well) for trying all guitars:

1. Line 6 Flextone III -- great range of tones

2. Vox AD120VTH through a 2x12 -- wasn't really paying attention at all and thought it was a tube amp until I looked and remembered what it was. Great range as well.

Agree with both of those.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

So what's the deal with these Pathfinders? They seem to get a lot of praise. Anyone compare them to a Microcube at all?

Hi Monkey Face. Nice to see you.

They are kinda apples and oranges.

The Vox is a great "bang for the buck" amp. It sounds better than you'd think it shoud considering its only a little over one bill, has a mere 15 watts solid state power and an 8" speaker. It has a surprisingly resonant deep tone for its size and class and is on the vintage side of tone. It's overdrive is interesting, lots of harmonic overtones, but it is not its strong point. Cleans are where it's at on the Pathfinder.

The Microcube has a smaller sound but has more versatility to it and more modern tones.

I have a few amps and I used to use a Pro Junior next to my chair in the living room. After I picked up a Pathfinder on a sale from MF for $80 (no reverb) I pushed the Fender aside and just ran the Pathfinder with a Boss RV-3 for quite some time. It compared real favorably with the Pro Junior for cleans even though the Pro Junior is all tube w a larger speaker.

But keep in mind, these are all practice amps.

I now have the Pathfinder and a guitar next to my bed. I like to keep a rig where ever I might be for when the urge hits to grab it.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

...It's also terrible at hiding your mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly Yngwie Malmsteen myself, but I think it's stupid to blame your equipment for that. That's like saying, "This mic is terrible at hiding the fact that I can barely sing, especially when it's turned up!"

If you don't want people hearing your mistakes, maybe you should work on your technique. :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I can't shut up about the Vox Pathfinder 15R, especially when you're talking about bang-for-the-buck. Same for the Crate Powerblock IMO.

Oh, and +1 for the Jazz Chorus.

+1 for the Vox. I have the Pathfinder 15 without the reverb and it sounds really good!

Archived