What's the best sounding solid state amp?

GAS Man

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I often wish I had made my first amp a Princeton. They were very nice. I'd probably still have it if I had bought it first. My dumb luck, I walked into a store to find an amp that didn't carry Fenders. Walked out with a Sunn Stinger 60 for $150. It was sterile sounding and couldn't play loud without distorting.

The Princeton is a great amp considering the price. Of course there are better amps, but the Princeton is a fully functional, decent sounding amp for $270. Pretty good if you ask me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Randall RG amps from the 80's might be worth a try. I have an RG80PH head. The cleans are nice and musical..reverb is deep and "surfish" and the gain on it has some ds-1 flavor. You can blend the two channels to have that "clean" distortion thing going if you like.

+1 on the Randall RGs and i'd add the Sunn Alphas too. insanely good solid state amps. oh, and the original Standels. is there such a thing as "vintage solid state". better hurry before a market springs up to drive the price of "vintage solid state" amps outta reach.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

What sounds good is subjective, though.... and as has been said above, the notion that SS is "cheap" is an artificial one. The only reason why most cheap amps are SS and expensive amps tend to be valve is because that's what the (ridiculously conservative, IMO) guitar-market demands. I mean, if you prefer tubes, cool, I like em too (though I chose a hybrid modeller as I like the sound as well as tubes, but it suits my needs better), but I wouldn't agree that tubes are automatically "better" than SS, hence I don't think you can say simple lack of price difference is a reason to go tube over SS.... Sonci properties aside, SS is, IMO undeniably more reliable, less hassle (it either works or it doesn't), and cheaper to run (not spending fifty quid revalving it every few years).

Actually, I agree that tube doesn't automatically mean better. The ValveKing is the first tube amp I've had that I'm satisfied with. In the past I've owned a Fender Princeton Reverb II, Peavey Ultra 112, Carvin XT112 and an old Sivlertone 1472 model.

I also have a Marshall VS100R, Marshall 5210 solid state and an old Randall Commander II, all of which sound good in there own way. To me the Bandit just starts to lose its composure at higher volumes. That probably has a lot to do with the speaker too.

• Members

I tried Fender, Marshall, Randall, Line6, Crate, and Carvin and I thought the Peavey Special 212 II was head and shoulders above the others. I was looking at 2x12s only. I always keep gain under 50% because there's so much. There are six different distortions on two channels. With one channel brighter and louder that the other for leads. I really like it especially adding a cab sim in the fx loop.

00449050.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by garagebandking9

I just need to chime in again and say its nice to see so much love for the Princeton...mine has been a horse...

I ran across a guy in another forum who owned ONLY a SS Princeton combo. He was trying to maximize use of a friends recording system. I talked him into modifying the combo to accept a different amp input, and purchase an Epiphone Valve Jr Head for $99. He said it was the best $99 he has ever spent.

Sorry, if I sound like a tube snob...I do wish digital modeling was further along. But, despite what a lot of people are saying in their posts, good tube amp sound does not have to be expensive these days. The trick with tube is to get something low watt enough that you can REALLY CRANK IT into saturation. I know the Valve Jr Head is not a great amp for EVERY style of music. But just give a listen to what $99 can buy and why tube is king.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/ampclips.asp#Epiphone

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

It's stupid for you to not understand that was a self-effacing joke my man. Get a clue before accusing someone of being stupid.

Eghad!

But besides the fact that I was making a self effacing joke, I was also stating that the JC120 does has so much clarity, that it really does let all your flubs shine through with great clarity.

D'oh!

I do apologize. I'm not so good at reading sarcasm sometimes. Mah-bad! :D

But anywho.. back on the subject, has anyone on here tried those Carvin SX amps? If you believe what the catalog says, they're the be-all and end-all of tube-emulating SS amps...

...but at least I'm not stupid enough to fall for that one! :D

• Members

Originally posted by RUExp?

Actually, I agree that tube doesn't automatically mean better. The ValveKing is the first tube amp I've had that I'm satisfied with. In the past I've owned a Fender Princeton Reverb II, Peavey Ultra 112, Carvin XT112 and an old Sivlertone 1472 model.

I also have a Marshall VS100R, Marshall 5210 solid state and an old Randall Commander II, all of which sound good in there own way. To me the Bandit just starts to lose its composure at higher volumes. That probably has a lot to do with the speaker too.

Yeah, i get ya. It's interesting how good some of the newer SS designs are getting, though, compared to what used to be the norm. If Vox could make my Valvetronix sound as good as it does except all-digital (there's still a couple of tubes in there, don't recall how many)..... damn, now that would be great....

• Members

I just remembered that in the early 90s I had a SS Ampeg 60w 1x12 that had a great, warm clean channel. The drive channel was OK, but waaaaay too much gain, even at low settings - it just got lost in the mix in a band setting - and I was never a "scooped mid" guy.

After that I had a hybrid H&K head with 3 channels. I really really liked that amp but ultimately found it unusable because the "crunch' channel (which sounded great, btw) for some reason was only about 75% as loud as the clean & lead channels - I literally had to dime the volume at gigs, and it still had a noticeable volume drop. Too bad, that amp had a lot of potential.

While I agree that tube amps can have a certain "something" that SS often lack, I also think it's possible to get close enough that if I found the right amp, I'd not hesitate to go back to gigging with SS.

• Members

Mine. Best SS amp on the planet. not a tube in sight...so not a hybrid..does have a couple of chips, but whatever.

It does everything it does very well.
JC120 ? got it
Marshall bluesbreaker? got it
Stacks? got it
Vox ac30? got that too
Fenders du jour

the list is "only" 17 amps long and I only use about 8 or 9 of those during a night, but they all sound great.

YMMV

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

The cleans are passable for a practice amp. I wouldnt even call the gain addequate sounding. Its just a big pile of mush and noise:freak:

The problem with most SS amps is that they are geared to be budget items. Very few people building high end SS, with quality cab construction, good speakers, etc.

These come to mind.

http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps.htm

As well I remember the Lab Series amps were quite good (built by Norlin/Moog I believe?). Still a few floating around used, but they arent that cheap.

Let's play Clean!

hilab2.jpg

During my late-70's music career I used two Peavey "Musician" heads for 400w. :D

Archived