What's the best sounding solid state amp?

GAS Man

• Members

Let's leave out the hybrids for this.

If possible it would also be nice to leave out the modelers.

Just amps that are all SS and do great resonant deep cleans and have good overdrive tone.

Many years ago I would have nominated the Peavey Bandit as one choice, but the following generation of Bandit didn't sound as good to me as the one I bought for my stepson in the early 90's.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Hughes and Kettner Tour Reverb 100w 1x12 combo (Celestion inside) that is all solid state, all analog and all good sounding ! The clean is really up there IMHO, and the crunch and lead channels are very good too...it takes my pedals well and it is one hell of a power amp for floorboards or preamps....and it's pretty cheap too !

I also love my old & battered Fender Sidekick 10 from the early 80's...I put a Bad Monkey in front and it screams!!!...I believe there's even a model of this gritty little amp in the Cyber Twin....

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

I don't know if it's the best, but I auditioned every SS amp I could find before deciding on the Tech 21 Trademark 60. It is everything I want in a SS amp. Gives me any sound I need.

+1

I have the TM 60 as well. I upgraded to it from a TM 10.

I love it (but still I GAS for a Peavey Classic 30:freak: )

• Members

I've got a Pathfinder without the "R" and I agree, it's a great bang for the buck amp.

I also have a Roland JC120. Nice sounding in its own right, but not "tube-like". I've always played mine at home, but did hear one played at a club once and I was surprised the quality of grind and grit the guy had coming from it. I have no idea what he was running through it, but I remember thinking, "mine has never sounded like that". :D

• Moderators

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I can't shut up about the Vox Pathfinder 15R, especially when you're talking about bang-for-the-buck. Same for the Crate Powerblock IMO.

Oh, and +1 for the Jazz Chorus.

Definitely with you on the JC and the Pathfinder! The Pathfinder is INSANLEY good for a $115 amp.

• Members

Originally posted by mueller

I had a Peavey Studio Pro (pretty much the same as the Bandit) that I thought sounded good.

The cleans are passable for a practice amp. I wouldnt even call the gain addequate sounding. Its just a big pile of mush and noise:freak:

The problem with most SS amps is that they are geared to be budget items. Very few people building high end SS, with quality cab construction, good speakers, etc.

These come to mind.

http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps.htm

As well I remember the Lab Series amps were quite good (built by Norlin/Moog I believe?). Still a few floating around used, but they arent that cheap.

Archived