I think i'm an idiot plz help

• Members

I hate recording it drives me up the wall being that i'm so dumb. So anyway I recorded a guitar part and then i tried to record another guitar over it and the second on is not on time with the first one. It sounds perfect when i play but it always behind. Plz help

• Members

I assure you that i am not a troll. I just suck at recording and i'm not much for long winded explainations.

does'nt the software correct latency?

Plus, it's not just off time, the notes are "spread out". The first note is on time but becomes slow after about a second (or so it appears) hence the problem with moving the audio over.

• Members

I just suck at recording and i'm not much for long winded explainations.

those "long winded explanations" are what's gonna help you get your problem solved.

recording is a technically complicated process. if you don't like taking the time to set up, install & fully understand your setup & signal chain, you may not want to get to into recording.

• Members

Two things.

Check Your interface manual and be sure it provides "Direct Monitoring".

Second, make sure the settings in the DAW are set for direct recording and be sure you arent recording through a plugin or have plugins running when you track.

if you're running through a plugin, it introduces latency and shifts the track bacause the sound needs to get converted to digital, pass through the CPU, have the software alter the sound, then get converted back to analog so you can hear it. All that takes time and the slower the computer or the larger the buffers, and latency set to prevent dropouts, the more the track will shift.

With direct recording, the signal goes into the interface and splits. One path gets digitized and written to the hard drive, You dont hear that signal. The other pats gets routed directly out of the interface remaining anaking, and never gets digitized, therefore is in sequence with the playback of other tracks so you're playing to a signal in real time.

If you have to record with processing, you're going to have shift and you can tweak tracks as nessasary. Its better to use direct monitoring and use an external hardware guitar processor to juice your guitar and give it effects, or actually mic an amp.

Archived