Carvin guitars

mysterybat35

• Members
Originally posted by adambomb

you {censored}ing little rat, what did i hate on in my post?

read it. everything i say is true.

you flat out ignored the points i made.

nut job?

{censored} you, you are a reactionary with nothing to actually say.

you can't dispute what i posted as things things REALLY HAPENNED.

i ain't nut jobbing on anything, did you read my post?

i had SEVERAL bad experiences with them, not just one.

and what i said about their boards being full of posts about recieving bad guitars is true.

i shilled carvin like i work there for years, preaching about the bang for buck value. i am not a hater.they {censored}ed up too many times. *I* can say they suck.

read what i said i the post, dim-wit.

you criticise as if you didn't even read the post.

Take valium. Now. :eek:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a DC-400 for a little over a year, it was great, but really a metal/shredder style guitar. I ended up selling it for a plain ole Strat, which is what I want soundwise.

My Carvin was perfect fit & finish, top quality materials. Unbelievable for the price, IMO. I would recommend them to anyone.

• Members
Misterybat: I was wondering if anyone here owns one and could tell me a little about their sound.

Since this was your original question, I'll answer by saying I rate my three Carvin guitars and one bass as follows:
1) '95 DC127, maple neck thru poplar body, M22T bridge and M22N neck pickups, each with 11 adjustable polepieces per coil (that's 22 total per humbucker) is the ONLY reason I never purchased a PRS;
2) '96Bolt-T, alder body, Wilkinson trem. The 15-inch radius neck is too flat for my hand's comfort, but I love the sound at all settings. Owned a Strat before this, never found another worthy one. This sounds like a Strat that goes to the gym regularly (right, like that's got a sound :D );
3) '04 DC127M, maple neck thru swampash body, C22B bridge and C22N pickups, still experimenting with the tones. Splitting the bridge and blending it with the humbucker neck is my favorite sonic region, I highly recommend it to all DC127 owners! It in turn influenced me to purchase an LTD EC1000; and,
4) '05 LB75 bass. I have a number of basses, each with a unique but deep voice, all of them keepers.
The one bass and one guitar that I sold in the past were nowhere near the quality of my Carvins. The DCs will never be for sale. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Cokeman

No one has posted a picture for the last few pages. I don't want to read about Carvins, I want to see them.
:idea::wave:

I know I'll get flamed for this, as I always post these pics every time I'm given the occasion, but since you're asking, I can't resist the urge of posting my pics of my LH C66T.... :D:cool:

PICT0123.jpg

PICT0215.jpg

b_touche.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by ibanezhater

Old shredder Carvins - like the pointy headstock DC200s, the Ultra Vs, and the V220 all sell for more now than they did brand new over a decade ago.

I don't doubt it. I want one of those V220s!

84_v220-small.jpg

• Members

I had a bright blue Carvin DC-145 with a Floyd...
One of the best guitars I've ever owned.
I miss it. Traded or Sold it a few years ago and have regretted it since.
I really wish they still offered the "Jackson" style headstock.
I think that's much cooler than the current headstock option.

Anybody wanna sell one with a Floyd and a "Jackson" style headstock?
Prefer one humbucker or HxH config.

• Members

Originally posted by jimosity

Carvin has a number of options that aren't officially listed on their site or in the catalogs, and I believe that's one of them. Don't know if it's an upcharge, but you can still get 'em.

• Members

I'd like to say a few quick words about Carvin's Extremely Poor customer service and management. I paid for a Carvin HF2 Allan Holdsworth Model at the end of April. It's July 7th and I still do not have my guitar. I received a postcard from Carvin and was told the guitar would ship June 7. The day came and went- no call, no email, nothing. So I calked Carvin and was greeted by Sean- a rude and egotistical jerk who promptly told me the Guitar Neck was damaged and it would have to be done all over again and the NEW ship date was July 7th. I emailed Carvin this past Monday July 3rd to ensure my guitar would ship July7. Again Sean answered and he was a jerk again and said He Did Not Know and There was NO WAY to find out. So I called again on Thursday July 6 and a rep told me that the guitar has been delayed and would ship July 17th. No Call. No email- NOTHING.
I called and spoke to a "Manager" today- and I use the name Manager loosely. He was rude, uncaring, and caustic and told me that this is a CUSTOM guitar company and they do not guarantee ship dates. I told him since this is the 3rd time I now have been delayed that I was requesting a compensation- like free shipping or maybe an effect box to keep me as a customer, and he barked at me "NO and we NEVER do that for anyone." I told him that Carvin's customer service reps were rude, that he was rude, and that they lost a customer. His response was to hang up on me. So- there you go.....Horrible Customer Service. The Customer is the LifeBlood of all companies, and if Carvin does not watch out they may be out of business some day for their attitudes. For whatever good it will do- I am writing to their president and telling him how I was treated.

• Members

I find that no matter how good a guitar is, if I had to go through hell or bad customer service issues in simply getting it, I am always better off simply returning it. It is like it is tainted by the bad memories I had to deal with, and I'll never really love the guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by jimosity

They still make it, phone them up and ask for option PTH. I has this one made last year:

5172cec4.jpg

• Members

I love Carvin guitars. I bought a used SC90S and it was by far the smoothest and best playing guitar I've ever owned. I had the action extremely low on that thing and it didn't buzz or fret out at all. Unfortunately the huge dings the previous owner had put on the face of the guitar (when he sold it to me he said it was in 'excellent' condition :rolleyes:) bothered me too much so I sold it. I'm always in the market for another, but the ones on eBay usually don't have the options I'm looking for.

I will have another Carvin someday, it's just a matter of when. I'm probably going to buy it used since they've gotten pretty expensive to buy new. Their prices have risen steadily since I first got into them.

• Members

Bought my first Carvin in '82, DC160 bird's eye maple body and neck, ebony fret board, gold plated hw, the works. Played like melted butter out of the box. Very low, fast action. I sold it to my brother because he was tired of luggin his heavy LP around. It was played hard for years on stage and off. Never a problem or worry. I finally got it back from him a few years ago. Neither of us has ever had to make an adjustment to the truss rod or the intonation on this axe. It was perfect 24 years ago and it's perfect today. Well, other than some minor button marks on the back, but none of them go through the finish, and the gold plating is worn off the upper end of the bridge that gets used as a palm rest.

Picture.jpg

logogb3002.jpg

I also acquired an '81 DN612 doubleneck in '91 from a friend. It had sat for years without being played and the strings on it were trash, but once I restrung it and did a little minor bridge adjustment it was, and still is, a great axe. I don't have a pic of it by itself, but it's the 2nd from left (obviously) in this pic.

moguitrz.jpg

I lost interest in Carvins when they went all pointy in the mid-late 80's but I recently went and checked out their web site and I like what I see there. I doubt I will be buying one anytime soon, but if I were in the market for a new axe I'd definitely consider one of theirs.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have 4, from an '84 V220 to a early 2000s DC127. I'd have to say they are the 4 best guitars I've ever seen or played. I've had a Strat, and recently played a Epiphone Les Paul, and there was absolutely no comparison as far as quality and sound. any of the Carvins was noticeably better.

I'm sure some might disagree, but this is just my experience. I'm thinking about buying another one.

Archived