Carvin guitars

mysterybat35

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

Ya know, I would LOVE to do that, but according to MapQuest, it's 2,761 miles from where I live in PA.
:confused:

My wife went there on a business trip, and I tagged along for the ride. The Guitar Center vintage store is right across the street, and the Mesa store is right there too. So is Sam Ash.

It was a gear-slut's dream!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I have Gibson's, Fenders, Ibanez's, Jackson's, Ovations, Taylors as well as a Carvin & many Frankenstrats.
Marshall. Mesa, Peavey, Crate and Line 6 amps.

As far as customer service goes carvin is hand down the best.
Have you ever tried to talk to someone from Marshall, Gibson Fender to name a few? It's just not going to happen!!!!!!!
You will be lucky to have anyone from the major name reply. If you do get a response you lucky if they even point you to a local Joe who's suppooed to service there gear. And he know less about fixing the problem than they do!!

Buying Guitars amps are just like buying anything there's always a chance you get a Lemon. But I will put Carvin up against any Manufacturer out there.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LoboR1

...I bought my Carvin in 1989 and it is still one of the best guitars I have ever played.

Ditto...er...almost. I bought my DC150 in 1985 or so, still have it, and it's great.

• Members

i've only ever played one carvin before... and i happen to be the proud owner of it now. It's made incredibly well, only thing im not amazed by is the bridge pickup.

its a dc135 from 1989 with abalone block inlays and a kahler bridge.

newg2.jpg

the image doesnt do the flame top any justice. its a AAAAA flame top

• Members

I've owned 4. 3 I ordered new and 1 I got off of Ebay. All were great, especially considering the cost. Carvin does use cheap 3 way switches so I always swapped these out for Switchcraft switches before I encountered any problems other than that, if you like the way they look They're a heck of a deal.

The only time I contacted customer service was when one of the sperzels locked up. I called up and they had a new one out to me that day. That was sufficient IMO.

The thing that hapens to me with Carvins is after a few years with them I decide I want to get something spec'd a little different so I sell and order something new. As far as resale, as long as you have something that isn't crazy you won't get hosed should you decide to sell a few years down the road. I've always done better with Carvins than I have with Fenders as far as resale is concerned.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I've owned 2, a 1992 DC-145 and a 2004 DC-127. The 145 was pretty bland sounding, but I liked the 145 okay. It's pickups reminded me of Gibson's 490/498 combination. They're actually pretty small compared to a Strat and not very heavy.

I had serious reliability issues with both of them though and would never buy another Carvin, especially as they're no longer inexpensive and there is a lot of competition in their price range.

This guy is one of the few who has had problems with Carvin guitars. However, he likes to bitch a lot. Mostly, it's just him.

Carvin guitars are seriously awesome.

Play one, and you'll agree.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Cons:

- Resale value. Look on Ebay and be amazed at just how poorly this brand hold its value. Disgusting!

Bull{censored}. I saw a mid 1980's DC150 in good condition selling for $500. Brand new it sold for about the same price!

Carvins hold their resale value as long as you don't go nuts on the options, which raise the price - not the value - of the guitar.

Old shredder Carvins - like the pointy headstock DC200s, the Ultra Vs, and the V220 all sell for more now than they did brand new over a decade ago.

Quit spreading lies about Carvin and resale value!

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Fat lot of good that does when you're on stage and you go to hit that opening chord and no sound comes out.

See if you're still gun-ho after one's let you down over and over again.

Again, this guy is full of {censored}! How about telling the truth once in a while, loser!

So you got a bad one...boo hoo. Yeah, like EVERY Gibson or PRS ever sold was just perfect, right? I guess I got lucky, as both my Carvins play perfectly. It must suck to be GCDEF.

• Members

I have an SC90 w/floyd and its awesome! plays like a dream. The stock pups werent too bad either. At first, I didnt care for the bright overtone I was getting. I raised the bridge about 1/4 turn on each stud and it was gone. I put a Duncan Blues Saraceno trembucker in the bridge and pearlygates in the neck and this thing is a monster!
Mahogany with flame maple top, mahog neck, purple stain. I'll try to post a pic..
Its a great axe!!

• Members

I owned a Carvin back in the mid-90's (don't remember the model...), but I can't say it impressed me much. There was nothing terrible about it....it was just really bland. The tone and playability didn't match up to the other guitars I owned at the time. I haven't played one since, so I can't speak to what their new models are like, but I have no regrets about selling the once I had.

• Members

I had a Fender american deluxe fat strat that was always my dream guitar. I sold it after i got my 1st Carvin TL60. It's just the perfect guitar for me. I have 3 now and don't plan on ever buying another guitar. The sound is bright and tight. Sounds so good thru a clean tube amp mines a Carvin Vintage 16 but I have also played thru Sunn SOlaris and Deluxe reverb SF.

TL60.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by ibanezhater

This guy is one of the few who has had problems with Carvin guitars. However, he likes to bitch a lot. Mostly, it's just him.

Carvin guitars are seriously awesome.

Play one, and you'll agree.

It really isn't just him; here is my experience (in case you missed it a few posts up).

http://acapella.harmony-central.com...hreadid=1211806

• Members

If you started a thread like "Who's had problems with X?", X being Gibson, Fender, etc., you'd get pages and pages, and when you ask the same about Carvin, of course there will be bad experiences there too. They've been around for 60 years and sell thousands of instruments each month. I don't think anyone's saying they're perfect.

Example: My company has been using Dell computers exclusively for almost 10 years, and yet there are people who hate Dell because they've had a real bad time. You find this with almost any company that's been around long enough.

I think the large majority of customers have positive experiences, and there are many people who love their Carvins. That's cool. I'd recommend anyone give 'em a shot, they make nice stuff. If you don't like it, then send it back to the kitchen!

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

how do you propose he do that, aside from going to San Diego and trying out a brand new one in the Carvin store?

Although you can't try before you buy, you can buy with a 10 day money back policy. Try it, if you don't like it, send it back.

Incidentally, the Carved Top model has higher resale than any other Carvin IMO, just look on eBay at the completed items. First, you'll notice the Carved Tops aren't plentiful - which tells me a lot of people are keeping them. And when they do sell, they're usually pretty expensive.

Archived