Carvin guitars

mysterybat35

• Members

Hi,

I was looking at some Carvin electric guitars on www.carvin.com. All of them 'look' very nice. I was wondering if anyone here owns one and could tell me a little about their sound. ALSO, they look to be a little heavy. How are they compared to the weight of like a strat or something? Thanks for your help.

MB35

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned 2, a 1992 DC-145 and a 2004 DC-127. The 145 was pretty bland sounding, but I liked the 127 okay. It's pickups reminded me of Gibson's 490/498 combination. They're actually pretty small compared to a Strat and not very heavy.

I had serious reliability issues with both of them though and would never buy another Carvin, especially as they're no longer inexpensive and there is a lot of competition in their price range.

• Members

Do a search for Carvin guitars. You'll see that most owners really like their guitars and the poor sod who got two duds is really the exception rather than the rule.

My Carvin is way heavier than my Strat copy. The Carvin is made of Rock Maple and has a maple neck with ebony fretboard. The strat has an alder body with maple neck and fretboard. The Carvin is very bright sounding due to its wood. Different wood options are going to offer different characteristics tonally. Again, do a search and see what different woods sound like!

I bought my Carvin in 1989 and it is still one of the best guitars I have ever played.

• Members

i have a DC127T. it came with microphonic pickups that i swapped out for DiMarzios. recently, i noticed that the intonation screws were backing out of the wilkinson vibrato, and that one was completely gone. i debated getting a hardtail, and that confirms that i should have.

as for the sound and playability, both are excellent. i find the sound a little tight and bright, but its very good. those qualities are mostly due to the maple neck thru/ebony board, and then the alder wings. it is a very light guitar.

its a good guitar, i've just been less than impressed with the hardware/electronics. i'm debating scrapping the wilky altogether and putting something else there, but i haven't decided what yet, and don't want to go with a floyd.

• Members

Originally posted by LoboR1

Do a search for Carvin guitars. You'll see that most owners really like their guitars and the poor sod who got two duds is really the exception rather than the rule.

I don't know. My bass player had a Carvin bass before I knew him and described pretty much the same problems I had with my guitars. Carvin has its fans, but even many of its die-hard supporters will complain about the cheap electronic components they use.

20 years ago, I could see their appeal, but these days, there are so many alternatives, I don't see the point any more.

• Members

Carvin....

Pros:

- "custom" guitar based on the options they give you.

- Relatively low price, compared to a true custom shop.

- A full range of models, for most every playing style.

- Beautiful neck joint.

- Great action.

- Great neck.

- Great setup.

Cons:

- Limited "custom" options and Carvin won't do much to accomodate special requests such as alternative woods.

- Sucky pickups and electronics, as mentioned already. Lots of gripes there on the web.

- Piss poor customer service if/when there is a problem. Again, lots of gripes on the web.

- Becoming a "fanboy" of Carvin. They're so damn annoying I could puke.

- Resale value. Look on Ebay and be amazed at just how poorly this brand hold its value. Disgusting!

-Very rude salespeople, I will NOT call them back after my run in with an asshole named Sean there.

Overall, I'd happily own a Carvin, but I won't buy it new and I certainly won't deal with them directly to get it.

• Members

Tell me this guitar doesn't RAWK!!!!

P1010439s.jpg

Like any brand, people like and dislike different things! They also have different experiences with CSR's etc. Look at the poor bugger that posted last week because his Fender Strat neck was cracked. Fender told him it would be up to 6 months for a replacement! Also, if you badmouth any brand on here, some manufacturers "fanboys" come flying out of their ivory towers to defend their beloved! It doesn't matter what brand it is. Its funny, really!

Whatever, opinions are like assholes...including mine!

ps..not a "Carvin Fanboy" but do love my guitar!

• Members

Originally posted by LoboR1

Tell me this guitar doesn't RAWK!!!!

P1010439s.jpg

Like any brand, people like and dislike different things! They also have different experiences with CSR's etc. Look at the poor bugger that posted last week because his Fender Strat neck was cracked. Fender told him it would be up to 6 months for a replacement! Also, if you badmouth any brand on here, some manufacturers "fanboys" come flying out of their ivory towers to defend their beloved! It doesn't matter what brand it is. Its funny, really!

Whatever, opinions are like assholes...including mine!

ps..not a "Carvin Fanboy" but do love my guitar!

That guitar does not rock...

• Members

Other than 3 or so very vocal carvin haters on this forum, the majority have a very positive opinion of them. I myself look forward to ordering one in a little while.

Every company has those who hate it, just start a thread about Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, whatever, and you will get many negative responses. Personaly, every Carvin I have ever played was excellent. Should I have any unforeseen issues with the electronics, I will gladly replace them myself, its a $30 fix to an otherwise incredible value on a custom guitar, built to my specs. (luckily all the specs I desire are Carvin options, tele style body with non bolt on neck, 24 frets, birdseye fretboard with SS frets, HSS configuration, fix bridge with graphite saddles, quilt maple top in saphire blue finish.....)

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Should I have any unforeseen issues with the electronics, I will gladly replace them myself, its a $30 fix to an otherwise incredible value on a custom guitar, built to my specs.

Fat lot of good that does when you're on stage and you go to hit that opening chord and no sound comes out.

See if you're still gun-ho after one's let you down over and over again.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Fat lot of good that does when you're on stage and you go to hit that opening chord and no sound comes out.

See if you're still gun-ho after one's let you down over and over again.

I bring two guitars to a gig anyways. Either way, I've had stuff fail me mid gig (like cables lol), anything can fail, regardless of company. I can understand your position, and while that is unfortunate it is not a clear description of everyone's experience with these guitars (not that you said it is, but you know how the internet is, someone gets a Gibson with bad frets, the next day theres a massive sweeping Gibson QC problem running rampant at HC).

When I get the guitar I will probably not gig with it until I am fully comfortable, if I have any electronics issues, I will throw new pots, jack, switch in there and be done with it. I've done that to most of my guitars other than my gibsons and my ibanez artstar (simply because its a bitch to do it on semihollows and they work well enough).

• Members

I have an 87' V220- great fretwork, plays as smooth as buttah, very versatile w/ coil splitting, beautiful craftsmanship. Cons- which some have already pointed out: Sub par electronics, average pups, poor resale value which I don't care about because I'll never get rid of it. With a few upgrades, they're as good as anything out there...

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I bring two guitars to a gig anyways. Either way, I've had stuff fail me mid gig (like cables lol), anything can fail, regardless of company. I can understand your position, and while that is unfortunate it is not a clear description of everyone's experience with these guitars (not that you said it is, but you know how the internet is, someone gets a Gibson with bad frets, the next day theres a massive sweeping Gibson QC problem running rampant at HC).

When I get the guitar I will probably not gig with it until I am fully comfortable, if I have any electronics issues, I will throw new pots, jack, switch in there and be done with it. I've done that to most of my guitars other than my gibsons and my ibanez artstar (simply because its a bitch to do it on semihollows and they work well enough).

I always have a backup on hand too. Still, my last DC-127 cost $919. Its first catastrophic failure occurred within 3 months. There were 3 more over the next year with replacement parts Carvin sent me. For that kind of money, I would expect it to work reliably.

No doubt Carvin has some satisfied customers. I was very pleased with their PA gear that I've used, so I'm not a knee-jerk Carvin basher and I really wanted to like my guitars. I do almost all my playing on stage, and reliability is extrenely important to me. If I can't count on any piece of equipment to be there for me, I have no use for it, no matter how pretty it looks.

With all due respect, it sounds like you've never owned one. I've had two and had them both for over a year before throwing in the towel. I really tried to like them but they wouldn't let me.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I've owned 2, a 1992 DC-145 and a 2004 DC-127. The 145 was pretty bland sounding, but I liked the 145 okay. It's pickups reminded me of Gibson's 490/498 combination. They're actually pretty small compared to a Strat and not very heavy.

I had serious reliability issues with both of them though and would never buy another Carvin, especially as they're no longer inexpensive and there is a lot of competition in their price range.

can you expand a little bit as to the nature of the "reliability" issues?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by vintage clubber

can you expand a little bit as to the nature of the "reliability" issues?

:confused:

The first one was before the days of graphite rods. EVERY time I went to play it, and I'm talking every day, the thing needed a trussrod adjustment. One day the strings would be lying flat on the neck, the next they'd be 1/4 up in the air. My bass player had this problem also. The pickup switch failed on this guitar almost immediately.

The DC-127 had the Fishman active electronics. One day at a gig we were taking a break and this ridiculous hissing sound started blasting from the stage. If I recall, it was a short in the jack. Carvin sent a new jack which also failed. Third jack caused the battery to drain within a day or two. Somewhere in there the volume pot got very scratchy. I know all guitars do that eventually, but I've never seen one go so soon. Finally, the Fishman electronics quit producing any sound at all. I sent it back to Carvin where they gutted it and replaced all the electronics. When I got it back I put it on ebay without ever playing it again. Lost about 40% of what I paid for it.

• Members

If you can find a used one they are an incredible value. A lot of people cry about resale value but I think it's a plus. I picked up a '98 DC137T in mint condition with a tweed G&G case for $400. I was lucky and found it locally in the recycler. I would never buy a guitar without trying it first so Ebay is not an option.

• Members

I've owned 4. One 80s DC150 koa, 2 90s 127s with floyds (alder and koa) and currently own an 04 127M (maple over mahogany)

All were great guitars and exceptional values IMO. The 04 is the best by far. The neck shape is better, the C22 pickups (other than looking a little weird) are great. fretwork, and overall build quality are top notch. I did replace the pickup selector switch with a switchcraft which feels much better and will last forever.

The new one, mahogany/maple, is my lightest guitar and considerably lighter than my American deluxe strat.

If you like the way they look, I can't imagine being unhappy with one of the new ones. They've grown (again in my opinion) from a really good guitar to a great one. Unless of course you get a lemon like GCDEF, I don't think that happens a whole lot though.

• Members

I have owned three Carvins and tried several others as I live near their Santa Ana Ca store. I sold my Fender US Deluxe Fat Strat that, at one time, I thought I would keep forever. Because I just like the Carvin neck feel better. I just picked up another TL60 to have one with Single coils. It's great too. The neck thru gtrs are bright sounding. I recommend all mahogany and the C22B & H22N pickup combo.

I have had no issues electronics but I haven't abused it the way a heavy gigging player might. Build quality is as good as the Fender which I thought was excellent.

I got into Carvin when I was playing in a band with a guitar player who had 12 guitars including LP, Strats, Teles, G&L, Rick, etc. He played a TL60 as his No. 1. The only thing that sounded as good to me of his guitars was a G&L ASAT.

Here's mine:

NMAHTL60.jpg

TL60.jpg

• Members

I have an SC90S that has been very reliable through heavy gigging for over 5 years. It's been all over LA, San Fran, Portland, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Vegas, Tempe, NYC... hot summers, cold winters, used and (unintentionally) abused and never had any problems of any kind.

I find my tele more suited for the latest band I'm playing with, but still use the Carvin for home recordings.

Archived