Carvin guitars

mysterybat35

• Members

To the guy that asked how can you try one if you don't live in California.
They have a 10 day MONEY BACK guarantee.
All you pay is shipping back to Carvin if you don't like it.

People should atleast know a little about what they are talking about before posting crap!:idea:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by verticleman

To the guy that asked how can you try one if you don't live in California.

They have a 10 day MONEY BACK guarantee.

All you pay is shipping back to Carvin if you don't like it.

People should atleast know a little about what they are talking about before posting crap!
:idea:

you still have to pay for it, and you lose on the shipping. so even if you send it back, you're losing out. by way of comparison i can go into any store and try out a guitar for free.

i've been happy with my DC127T for some time, though the hardware has definitely been suspect. one of these days i'll get around to replacing the tuners, and maybe even changing the wilkinson. its very light duty in comparison to my PRS vibrato and ibanez edge.

• Members

How old are you?

25/30 bucks going to break you?

If you put in on a credit card you don't pay for it if you send it back you cheap wannabe:cool:

who cares how much it costs? the point is that you still can't try one out without spending money. i fully understand why Carvin doesn't allow for free shipping back, they'd lose tons of money. but you do have to spend the money, and that does cause people to say "well, i'm not going to try one then."

sorry you can't see the other side of the argument.

• Members

There's pros and cons. You can buy a top notch Carvin customized to your liking, at about half the price of some of the other big names (which aren't customized to your liking). In the event you don't like it, you lose shipping (which was $20 from CA to PA last year when i bought mine). It's not a big deal. In return, you get to play it at home for 10 days on your own rig.

On the other hand, you can go to a music store, pull something off the rack, which may have fingerprints on it, flat strings, etc., and you have to play it on gear that isn't yours. You get to do this for what, 30-60 minutes? I don't know about your guys, but I've never felt comfortable putting a guitar or amp though its paces at a music store.

Considering people can't find Carvins locally, the 10 day guarantee is a fair offering.

• Members

I see the other side of the argument I 'm just not that hung up on money.
You can't take it with you!
The point I'm tring to make is.
It's like going out on a date you don't have to spend money if you don't want to but you might miss out on the one that was meant for you!:thu:

• Members

I've owned three Carvin guitars. The main issue I have with them is that their necks are unstable compared to other guitars. The neck constantly changes. I can adjust truss rods and do basic maintenance on a guitar, but with the Carvins (and not my other guitars) I had to take them to a luthier to get them fixed up eventually. Then, 6 months later, I'd have to take it again because the neck would go out. For instance, when I get it back from the luthier, the neck is completely straight, and the intonation is good on every note of every fret. Then after a few months it changes to where the intonation is fine on the 12th fret, but not on the first 4 frets. I can adjust the truss rod etc. to compensate, but it eventually gets too bad for me to fix myself.

Another thing is that their quality control sucks ass. I've had them send me a guitar with the high E string wrapped around the SIDE of the bridge and tightened! It's ridiculous that they didn't catch even that. My friend ordered a bass from them and the input jack was so loose that it would just fall out on it's own. He sent it back. My other friend ordered a left handed guitar and they put the backwards plate on the back where the strings go in. Another acoustic that I ordered from them had the inside pickup knocking around loose on the inside of the guitar. When I called them about this problem with my BRAND NEW acoustic, they told me to "take it to a repair shop". I sent it back. Finally, ANOTHER friend ordered a bolt kit and they sent him the wrong neck. There are just too many problems with these guys.

Bottom line is that their necks are unstable from my experience. I won't be ordering a Carvin again. I just received a Godin LG Signature that I ordered instead, and let me tell you...WOW!!!

• Members

so spending money to see if you like something or some one is not such a big deal is it. it was probably more that 25/30 buck too.

And a guitar you know will never leave you. A woman on the other hand usually does. Or you leave her......lol

So do you understand my point now?

Later Dude. and good luck

• Members

Originally posted by TPTB

I've owned three Carvin guitars. The main issue I have with them is that their necks are unstable compared to other guitars. The neck constantly changes. I can adjust truss rods and do basic maintenance on a guitar, but with the Carvins (and not my other guitars) I had to take them to a luthier to get them fixed up eventually. Then, 6 months later, I'd have to take it again because the neck would go out. For instance, when I get it back from the luthier, the neck is completely straight, and the intonation is good on every note of every fret. Then after a few months it changes to where the intonation is fine on the 12th fret, but not on the first 4 frets. I can adjust the truss rod etc. to compensate, but it eventually gets too bad for me to fix myself.

Another thing is that their quality control sucks ass. I've had them send me a guitar with the high E string wrapped around the SIDE of the bridge and tightened! It's ridiculous that they didn't catch even that. My friend ordered a bass from them and the input jack was so loose that it would just fall out on it's own. He sent it back. My other friend ordered a left handed guitar and they put the backwards plate on the back where the strings go in. Another acoustic that I ordered from them had the inside pickup knocking around loose on the inside of the guitar. When I called them about this problem with my BRAND NEW acoustic, they told me to "take it to a repair shop". I sent it back. Finally, ANOTHER friend ordered a bolt kit and they sent him the wrong neck. There are just too many problems with these guys.

Bottom line is that their necks are unstable from my experience. I won't be ordering a Carvin again. I just received a Godin LG Signature that I ordered instead, and let me tell you...WOW!!!

And knowing this you bought 3. There something wrong with this picture. I'm always leary of someone that does not post his B-day.

• Members

Oh, as far as resale on Ebay

How many carvins are being sold on Ebay compared to Gibson?

Gibson 4000+

Carvin 133

I guess most people that buy a Carvin KEEP them!!!!!!!!
:D

Or maybe there are just far fewer Carvins in existence?

• Members

Originally posted by TPTB

I've owned three Carvin guitars. The main issue I have with them is that their necks are unstable compared to other guitars...

That's too bad. I've never had a problem with mine, and I've had it in both very-humid and very-dry environments. Always been rock solid. It's not my main guitar anymore, but I can take it out of the case without having played it for several weeks, and it's usually in perfect tune.

• Members

And knowing this you bought 3. There something wrong with this picture. I'm always leary of someone that does not post his B-day.

Duuh, maybe that's because I had problems with the first one, and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, so i ordered an H2 and a C980 at the same time? Also, the problems with the necks warping didn't begin to occur until about 2 years after I bought the guitars. Yes, it is true, despite your blind faith, Carvin guitars do have problems and are not worth the money because they became nothing but a constant pain in my ass. Would you like to buy a C980 from me since you think they're so great?

BTW, 8/9/73. Been playing for 19 years.

• Members

Originally posted by santos

That's too bad. I've never had a problem with mine, and I've had it in both very-humid and very-dry environments. Always been rock solid. It's not my main guitar anymore, but I can take it out of the case without having played it for several weeks, and it's usually in perfect tune.

Yeah, it does suck. I used to be the most devoted Carvin supporter, even after the first couple of problems. That's why I have a few friends that have had Carvin problems...because I talked them into buying one. Made me look pretty stupid.

As of now, I still have my H2 and a C980. With the H2, the neck has 'drifted' again. Right now, the intonation is good on the 12 fret, but ridiculously out on the first 5 frets. It's essentially unplayable until I can fork out another $80 to $100 to fix it up.

As far as the C980, there is insane buzzing and the intonation is out. It's also unplayable. The only way for me to stop the buzzing would be to adjust the truss rod so that the action is basically too high to play. I have to get the bridge lowered.

Both guitars are out of commission.

The other one was a DC135. The necked warped into a spiral-like pattern that was described by another poster which made it unplayable and unfixable (besides replacing the neck). I pawned it.

• Members

That explains the 2nd one.
But you bought 3!

What do you want for it?
Is it a neck through body?

If it is that could be the problem, but it not just Carvins that can have this problem.
Neck though body guitars will always have more problems with there necks than bolt ons.

But I bought one on Ebay that is now 7 years old neck through and have had no problems at all.

• Members

That explains the 2nd one.

But you bought 3!

What do you want for it?

Is it a neck through body?

If it is that could be the problem, but it not just Carvins that can have this problem.

Neck though body guitars will always have more problems with there necks than bolt ons.

But I bought one on Ebay that is now 7 years old neck through and have had no problems at all.

Man!@#$@#$ Read the post. I bought one a DC135, then, later, I bought 2 at the same time... an H2 electric, and a C980 acoustic. The C980 is an acoustic, so it's not neck through.

• Members

After having my DC-400 for a year, I decided to give it a thorough inspection. Much to my amazement, everything was perfect - intonation, neck, action, etc. I was also amazed that after a week or two of playing it (maybe 5 hours or so), I'd check the tuning, and it would be virtually dead on. It was the only electric I ever bought that didn't need adjustments right out of the box.

Carvin necks have a truss rod, plus two graphite reinforcement rods. That, and the maple, which mine was, make for an extremely stable setup, so I'm not sure why TPTB had so many issues.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar-fish

After having my DC-400 for a year, I decided to give it a thorough inspection. Much to my amazement, everything was perfect - intonation, neck, action, etc. I was also amazed that after a week or two of playing it (maybe 5 hours or so), I'd check the tuning, and it would be virtually dead on. It was the only electric I ever bought that didn't need adjustments right out of the box.

Carvin necks have a truss rod, plus two graphite reinforcement rods. That, and the maple, which mine was, make for an extremely stable setup, so I'm not sure why TPTB had so many issues.

Sometimes it just come down to Karma.

Maybe the guy just doen't live right.

You mess someone over it comes back 3 fold.

Just like if you do a good deed it will comes back 3 fold.

I think TPTB has alot of issuses

• Members

Sometimes it just come down to Karma.

Maybe the guy just doen't live right.

You mess someone over it comes back 3 fold.

Just like if you do a good deed it will comes back 3 fold.

I think TPTB has alot of issuses

OK, you have got to be the dumbest {censored}wad on this forum. The nerve of you to insinuate that my Carvin necks sucked because of my personal behavior, when you know nothing whatsoever about me. Are you really in that much denial when it comes to Carvin quality? Many others have had the same problems...read through the thread...then go back to school because you obviously need to brush up on your reading comprehension. What are you 13? Pathetic. :rolleyes: The dumbing down of America is really beginning to manifest.

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

I've owned many guitars- Gibsons, Fenders etc., but my Carvin was the only one playable out of the box; every other guitar needed tweaks. Probably the best neck of any guitar I've owned...:thu:

Archived