guitar nicknames

Jimi Ray Halen

• Members

i have maggie may and rosie. i name my guitars after fitting songs that are named after girls.

maggie may: she's a white/maple neck strat and may means pearl. i bought her before i went back to school.

rosie: named after "whole lotta rosie". its a black tele with a rosewood fretboard and i get nice guns'n'roses tones out of her.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Really?
:confused:

I never saw the point in that. My go to guitar is whichever one I happen to grab first.

OK - everyone but Burgess has a #1. They may not actually call it that but it's their favorite.

Geez who peed in your cornflakes this A.M.? "The guitar companies name mine for me blah, blah, blah..." :D

• Members

That's just me. I like a bunch of guitars but I don't really get that excited about them. Naming them has always seemed so pointless. Never really saw any point in naming anything that couldn't respond to you. Guitars are nothing more than hunks of wood and some hardware. I mean really, I find this whole naming your guitar thing, well...

fascinating.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

And do you name your guitars?

My electrics, yes.

It's fun, especially for my kids, who know most of them by name. Plus some models names are ludicrously long (ex: "Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet;" easier just to call her "Joan") so there's even a minor practical reason.

Here's the names of mine, most have some connection to the actual model name or finish/color:

Sonia '60 Duo-Sonic

Brownie Tex-Mex Tele Special

Blondie '52 RI Telecaster

Seven Squier MIJ P-Bass

Ruby DeArmond Jet Star

Ol' Blue Ovation Breadwinner

Honey DeArmond M-72

Chrissie Hamer USA Special

Cherie Les Paul Studio DC

Nell Fender Standard Jazz Bass

Joan Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet

Violet

• Members

They're just pieces of wood with strings on them to me too. I don't have a lot of them so my MIA Strat and my LP are both my go-to's. But I call them my Strat and my LP.

But sometimes they get nicknamed by other people. Or there's a story behind the naming - like BB King & Lucille.

Hell, some people have names for their cars.

• Members

my two basses have names but my strat still has to earn its name.

my washburn is called slappy because its the same colour green as on Green Day's 1039 Smoothed Out and Slappy Hours EP, plus i learned my first songs on bass from that album on that bass.

My SX Pee is named Buster because it had a Bad Religion cross buster logo on the pickguard (i put it there)

i still dont know what to call my candy apple red strat. :confused: i'll wait and see.

• Members

I have:

Gordo: an old crappy Venson i poorly refinished.

Biscuit: an Epiphone Biscuit, if that counts.

Bettie: an Edwards LP.

Lenny: a Laney VC15 amp.

Other guitars don't really have names... But i like to call them differently, so i'm trying to find names; doasn't work much yet, but my next purchases will be baptised, i swear.