Setup, How often?

mrbrown49

• Members

when it needs it...i get my guitars plek'd every six months...i'd prolly do it every 3 months for "perfection"...but its not cheap :cry: after about this time i start to noitce little buzzing here and there. the set up probably goes out quicker when you've had a plek cause they get it so perfect and the action so low, that theres not much margin for error

and i play alot and i live in good weather...

• Members
Originally posted by racerxwannabe

when it needs it...i get my guitars plek'd every six months...i'd prolly do it every 3 months for "perfection"...but its not cheap
:cry:
after about this time i start to noitce little buzzing here and there. the set up probably goes out quicker when you've had a plek cause they get it so perfect and the action so low, that theres not much margin for error

and i play alot and i live in good weather...

Plek'd every six months? You serious?

• Members

Originally posted by mrbrown49

I live in Rochester NY, in a drafty apartment. Though the weather this year is milder than usual, I find I have had to do a setup on main guitar 3 or 4 times in the last couple months.

Does this sound normal given the changing weather?

If you ever need work done on the guitar, check out a little store named Northfield Music. The guitar tech there is a really cool guy. Always treated my guitars right, and the owner is a decent fella as well.

• Members
Originally posted by paul44

Plek'd every six months? You serious?

Interesting.....

I got the following info from the Plek website:

"What happens to the data files on my instrument? Can they be used later?
All of the data files are saved. This allows many great things. Here are of few:
An instrument can be checked periodically to make sure that nothing has changed.
At a later date, an instrument can be given the exact same setup after getting new frets.
Two different instruments can be setup to the same specs.
A Plek technician in Los Angeles can email your file to London so that you can have something done there if you are on the road or have moved."

Sounds like you need new frets before getting your guitar Plek'd again. :rolleyes:

• Members

As, somebody else said, setup should be done whenever needed. But, most of the time, all you need is a minor truss rod tweak to get it back to where you had it. That takes a few seconds. Pete Townsend said in an interview that his Tech has to tighten the truss rod on his main guitar at the end of every show.

• Members

I usually do minor adjustments on my guitars when needed, check 'em when I change the strings, but my Strat started buzzing on the D and G strings about a week ago and none of my adjustments have helped, so it's going to the tech again after having it setup (for free) last April.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

I hardly ever adjust the truss rods on my guitars. Once a year mabye and thats only if it needs it. Havent touched the truss rod on my OOO-Martin acoustic for years.

Climate makes the determination when a set up is required. If you live in a stable climate your guitar won't need to be set up very often.

I live in Michigan. It get's in the 90's in the summer and sub zero in the winter. The great lakes make it humid as hell too. I do a set up and adjust my truss rod at least 2 times per year.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

I hardly ever adjust the truss rods on my guitars. Once a year mabye and thats only if it needs it. Havent touched the truss rod on my OOO-Martin acoustic for years.

I typically check mine every year as fall becomes winter because I have learned that this is when some of them change. But, other times I only notice when there is a sudden, drastic change.

My Dano has never had a truss rod adjustment. My Gibson MIII is about 15 years old and has needed about 6 or 7 truss rod tweakings. My 2005 Fender Strat has needed 3 and it is only a year old, but it seems to be settling in really well now. My Ovation acoustic is about 13 years old and has had about 3 truss rod adjustments. My Takamine acoustic has never needed a truss rod adjustment in the 5 years that I have owned it. It just depends.

• Members
Originally posted by Hudman

Climate makes the determination when a set up is required. If you live in a stable climate your guitar won't need to be set up very often.

I live in Michigan. It get's in the 90's in the summer and sub zero in the winter. The great lakes make it humid as hell too. I do a set up and adjust my truss rod at least 2 times per year.

:cool: Gotta do it if ya need too. 2 x a year isnt that bad though.

• Members

I do the proverbial "quickie" setup at every string change - for my solid body electrics. Usually a 'lil bridge adjusment.

For the semi & hollow bodies - I stretch the strings, let them sit (sometimes overnight) and then do the "quickie". Same with the 6 & 12 string acoustics. The acoustics, they may need the occasional truss-rod tweaking.

Now remember - the semis, hollows & acoustics are all kept humidified in some manner (NJ has extrememely dry air at this time of year, and my house is heated with forced dry air). I replenish all the guitar case humidifiers at LEAST once a week and keep the strings on all the guitars tuned down at least one stop to relieve stress on the neck.

Actually, the only instruments I need to constantly fine tune the setups on are my mandolin & banjo!

• Members

Originally posted by Kingsnake

I do the proverbial "quickie" setup at every string change - for my solid body electrics. Usually a 'lil bridge adjusment.

Me too. Especially on strats with the vintage tremolo unit. I only need to adjust the relief 1 - 2 times per year.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

I live in michigan as well ..... I can see a twice a year tweek. I generally dont do it. My guitars are pretty stable but then most of them are not new. They stay put for the most part. I have a guitar repair tech that treats me right. I dont play super low action so my guitars can float around a little bit and play fine. rat

Archived