why does everyone polish their guitars?

angus_old

• Members

I like my guitars to look nice and be in good shape. Keeping them that way will also make them sell better, should I ever need to sell any of them.

In purely practical terms, if your guitar is dirty and you're handling it then you're going to get gunk on your hands, and that will make your strings go dead faster than if your guitar and hands were clean before you played. I keep them clean and try to wash my hands before I play, and it makes my strings last a lot longer.

If your fingerboard is rosewood or some other unfinished wood, if it's really filthy for a long period of time then dirt and sweat can work their way under the frets and soak into the end grain of the wood, which can cause rot. Admittedly, things would have to be pretty bad for a long time for that to happen, but it does happen.

Not to mention if you have dirty nasty frets and fretboard, it'll feel really gross to play on and won't sound as clean.

Personally, I wipe my guitars down with 100% cotton flannel every now and then, and always when I change strings. If they're somewhat dirty, I'll use a little naphtha to clean them. I also keep my frets polished using a few different methods.

I also keep a couple of bottles of Mequiar's stuff around. I have the Mirror Glaze #7, which is a pure polish. I also have a bottle of the #9, which is a gentle swirl mark remover. I use that to remove light pick scratches and such, it works great and leaves a nice shine.

Despite what it may sound like, I'm not anal about my guitars. Most of them have dings and a few deeper scratches, but if I can keep them in relatively good shape with a little effort and time then I think it's worth it. Guitars will get scratched and dinged if you use them, but there's a difference between normal wear and tear and neglect.

• Members

Not polishing your guitars because it gives them more "personality" or "mojo" doesn't make you any better than someone who likes to keep their guitars shiny and looking new. It doesn't make you a more legitimate guitarist either. It's just a matter of taste.

Saying you don't understand why people polish their guitars is absurd. Of course you understand why people do it, you just happen to think that it is unnecessary. That's different than not understanding why people do it.

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

there are like 3 threads about it.
:confused:
what's the point? it's just going to be more shiny. i have never in my life done any more to a guitar body than wipe it down with a towel if i drooled on it

same reason people polish their cars. It's like asking why take a bath if you are going to end up being dirty later anyway? Which some people probably really do ask.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarMasterNot

same reason people polish their cars.

people polish fast cars they never drive fast . . . I'm usually too busy playing my guitar to polish it, except sometimes these 2 teenage guys borrow my guitar, and I get it back with this nasty crust on the back of the neck. I use windex and a paper towel to get it off.

• Members

I'm a {censored}in slob in nearly every aspect of my life, and even I take the time to clean up my guitars now and then

the gigging ones can't get nasty quick if I don't keep up

I use regular old guitar cleaner/polish - had a bottle of Gibson for years, finally ran out - got GHS now cuz the store didn't have Gibson

works fine, tastes yucky :p

• Members

I never hide the fact that looks play a part in what attracts me to a guitar. Playability, sound, and looks all matter to me. If a guitar is lacking in any of those categories, it doesnt interest me.

So, I like to keep my guitars looking good, and I admit, I keep them polished up real nice and purty, 'cause that's the way I like them. They're MY guitars, I can do that if I wish. :)

• Members
Originally posted by ChihliDog

I never hide the fact that looks play a part in what attracts me to a guitar. Playability, sound, and looks all matter to me. If a guitar is lacking in any of those categories, it doesnt interest me.

So, I like to keep my guitars looking good, and I admit, I keep them polished up real nice and purty, 'cause that's the way I like them. They're MY guitars, I can do that if I wish.
:)

I'm with ya!

Archived