Name famous songs recorded with P90s

67mike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i'm not shure, but i've always suspected that the guitar in REM's What's the frequency Kenneth? MUST be a gibson with a bridge P-90.

listen to those opening chords: definately a P-90 tone.

I agree, I've tried to get that sound for months, then last week got an SG Jr and suddenly it was there.

• Members

I'll be more specific -- the first two Black Sabbath albums (self titled and Paranoid). I've seen conflicting videos and cannot confirm if the third album was or not. Tone wise, Iommi drastically changed on Vol. 4, so I suspect that Masters of Reality was done with the P90 SG (with chrome covers I might add) because its very close to the Paranoid album and after recording he went to humbuckers. They also recorded those first three albums within a very short period of time. He finally got some great tone again on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Vol. 4 is really hit and miss tone wise, but of course they were coked out during the entire recording process.

• Members

:thu:
and

Mick Taylor's tone is just sick on that album!
:cool:

:D

Totally agree. Between Billy Gibbons and Mick Taylor, you have some of the best tone ever laid down on tape. Others might have played better, but the tone of late 60s to mid 70s Stones and all of the 70s ZZ Top is just oozing with tone. Mick is often over looked as a player, but imo opinion, the Stones were at their peak with him.

• Members

Wasn't "Long Cool Woman" a Les Paul with P-90s? Also sounds like flatwound strings were used.

Yes and the guitarist ate a spring mix salad and drank 1 1/2 cups of chai tea about an hour prior to recording. You can also just make out a pigeon landing on the studio roof in the beginning of the chorus.:D

• Members

Just about all Leslie West and Mountain. Then West, Bruce & Laing.

Leslie could make that LP Jr do just about anything from soaring violin sounding leads to chest crushing chords. Live stuff is by far the best.

Most early Mott the Hoople - All the young dudes, All the way from Memphis

Wagner and Hunter on Lou Reeds Rock n Roll Animal

WestBruceLaing.jpg

• Members

All of Guitar Slims recordings were done with a 52 Les Paul Gold Top with P90s. His most famous recording with the P90s was probably

"The Things That I Used to Do." He loved his P90 equipped Les Paul that he was buried with it when he died at the age of 32.

And Bob Marley was also buried with his P90-loaded Les Paul (a customised tobacco-brown Special, as it happens). Spooky or what?

(Anyone planning to take a shovel on their next Jamaican holiday?)

• Members

I always thought it was a Tele too.

I believe you guys are right and I'm wrong, that was definitely a tele, (sounds like a tele with really low buzzy action!). I got the info somewhere I the HC forum. There is a guy playing what looks like a P-90 LP Special in this vid, but the signature riff is got to be the Allan Clark's tele:

Archived