Watch Me As I Record And Sell 1 Million Albums!

• Members

Say hi to Tony Robbins!

Good one. Made me smile.

Either way, its all good! I appreciate the conversation and you seem like a good guy. Glad to meet you.

BTW, just checked you tunes and I dig them. When I get home I'm gonna listen some more and maybe download them and slap them on the iPod.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good one. Made me smile.

Either way, its all good! I appreciate the conversation and you seem like a good guy. Glad to meet you.

BTW, just checked you tunes and I dig them. When I get home I'm gonna listen some more and maybe download them and slap them on the iPod.

Thanks.

Like i said, I'm not trying t be a dick (sometimes it just happens without trying!)

I really am a nice guy and not nearly as a downer as I seem to be here. I want to hear your new recording. I might even buy it!:wave:

• Members
Thanks.

Like i said, I'm not trying t be a dick (sometimes it just happens without trying!)

I really am a nice guy and not nearly as a downer as I seem to be here. I want to hear your new recording. I might even buy it!
:wave:

Cool! Oh, and I see you are a slide guy. My CD is filled with slide thanks to my sideman. Can't wait for you to hear it.

• Members

Here's what I failed to see from the OP, but I am giving him a place to explain here: what is the plan?

not the pie in the sky plan, the real
PLAN
...budgets and schedules...the recording budget, teh studio time, the replication time, the promotional budget, teh release party, ...well, hopefully you get the picture...this isn't just going to magically happen because he records a dozen songs.
:wave:

I couldn't say it better myself. This is the problem we have with the OP. He's all hype, no material. Even says he hasn't even finished the songs yet.

He isn't going to sell 1 mil albums this year any more than I'm going to spread my wings and fly to Florida for the winter.

To answer your question, the person who will be farthest at the end of the year is the person who actually sets attainable goals and makes a plan to reach them. This is why most artists fail; we're dreamers (which is good) not pragmatists (which is bad). You've go to find the balance between reality and art if you hope to achieve.

• Members
Anyway, i am sure we could go on about this forever. It would be a waste of time. You'll just keep looking for stop signs and I'll just keep looking for green lights.

HEY BRO

I bought a copy of BroStrat's album, "Don't {censored} With My Guitar". It's excellent throw-down music. :rawk:

If he's not selling 10k albums, then we're all screwed.

I admire your optimism, but I think it would be a huge mistake if you didn't carefully consider everything he's telling you here.

• Members

He's all hype, no material.

And hype means NOTHING...Take Heidi Montag for example. Her CD had a *supposed* $1 million dollar budget -- she had name recognition from her target audience, and only sells 658 records in her first week of release...

• Moderators
It's not easy to sell a million records. But, it's easy to get your music out to a million people: Just send a CD to someone in Russia, and write all over it "WARNING: DO NOT COPY. PROTECTED BY INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAWS."

you, sir, have an extremely warped sense of humor...:wave:

• Moderators
And hype means NOTHING...Take Heidi Montag for example. Her CD had a *supposed* $1 million dollar budget -- she had name recognition from her target audience, and only sells
records in her first week of release...

thank god she has a large family...;)

• Members

And hype means NOTHING...Take Heidi Montag for example. Her CD had a *supposed* $1 million dollar budget -- she had name recognition from her target audience, and only sells
records in her first week of release...

Wow ... that's almost what they spent on her!

Maybe if they had spent some of that money on singing lessons? Hmmmmm....

Edit: I went and looked it up. This is what she had to say about it ...

"“I think it’s gonna do great,” said Montag. “I have a million Twitter followers and they’re all very excited. So that’s at least a million people right there."

If I ever meet her I need to thank her for the laugh!

• Members

I know the thread is over, but it was a great read. And I feel I need to holla at ckohler for a miniute:

Dude. Keep your positive outlook. Seriously. And take everything bluestrat says to heart. Just don't let it stop you. Fear and art are intertwined. And those of us who have slogged with not much to show for it, have a certain, somewhat cynical perspective. As a singer songwriter, I'm sure you know who Monte Montgomery is, right? 20 years on the road doing 200 plus traveling dates per year and he can't afford a house yet. And it is starting to piss him off. Pat Metheny has been doing the same for 35 years and has done VERY well. And Monte is just as good as what he does as Pat is at what he does. The slope is not slippery, just weird. The only thing you can do is BELIEVE IN YOUR ART WITH EVERY FIBER OF YOUR BEING, and WORK YOUR ASS OFF AND SELL THE HELL OUT OF IT, and let the chips fall where they may. Because it ain't all up to you. Control all you can control and let the rest go. There is something in the stars, man.......

• Members

Turns out, that's a pretty {censored}ty way to live, but if you're going to sell what you've set a goal to sell, it's how you'll have to live, because promoting yourself will be almost a full time job. (continued)

I think many people underestimate what kind of effort it takes to move a lot of cd's. Musicians focus on the music, then the recording process, the mixing, mastering, the artwork, and the replication. But when all that's done, the biggest job of all remains. And many of us play music in the hopes of avoiding that last part. Many of us have no experience in sales, marketing, or promotion, which are hard jobs, and ones that most musicians are not prepared for. We think if we do a good job on the music, they will, to a certain degree, take care of themselves. As it turns out, the further you get into it, the more you realize that that part is the most important part. It's why the business guys get paid more than the musicians. Because it's harder to SELL than to play.

To the op and anyone else who wants to sell so many of their own cd's, I'd say if you have the skill to sell a million widgets, maybe you can sell a million cd's. But if not, you might want to spend some serious time on that skill as well as all of the other things you have on your plate.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

so yeah.. it's been a year.. I'm far too lazy to go to this guys youtube channel and watch the vidz.. and I am limited to only a few youtubes a month at work.. not wasting them on this guy haha...

So anyone care to fetch an update? I think I know how it ends.. but you never know!

• Members

Sure, I'll go check. Hang on...

OK, looks like the last update to his YouTube channel was 6 months ago. He had about 20,000 views on his original YouTube video. No link to a web site I can find. The home page link in his profile links directly to YouTube.

So I'd say no, he didn't make it. I wonder if he made it to $100.

So, what can we learn from all of this? Nothing I can think of.

• Members

His YouTube channel says he hasn't logged on in six months. I'm pretty sure he sold his million albums early and moved to a kingly estate in a far away exotic country. Every now and then as he's spanking a super model's bottom and asking Sting whether or not they should open another bottle of Dom he thinks back on this thread and those who would have discouraged him and laughs.

Either that or he realized, "gee this is hard" and gave up. It's either one or the other.

Seriously though ... this guy figured all he had to do was write a song about butts, shoot a cheesy video and post some hype on YouTube and he'd sell 1 MILLION freakin' records. Yeah - it's that easy. Shhhhhh .... don't tell anybody the secret or they'll all be doing it!

I doubt any of us will ever hear from him again.

• Members

Because I have too much time to kill, plus a morbid fascination with this guy's pursuit, I thought I would check in to see if he's ready for the Grammys this year. Here's a progress report, gleaned from his YouTube (not active in 6 months) account, MySpace (not active since Nov.) and website ( http://u6i9.com/ )

* He's lost weight and grown a lot of hair.

** Or hired a body double.

*** He's written and produced 8 songs.

**** They all sound like pop-synth demos form the 80s.

***** He won't need to open an off-shore account to stash all the royalty money any time soon.

Archived