Watch Me As I Record And Sell 1 Million Albums!

• Members

I will show you how, every step of the way on youtube. I'm 35 years old, married with 3 kids. I'm documenting everything I do from now, until next January when I expect to complete my goal.

Here is my first video blog (on my channel you can see the other ones)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

trying to generate hype by selling hype never really works out too well. Just ask that guy whose kid wasn't really in the balloon.
:cop:

No, I'm not selling hype, I'm going to be selling music. I'll be documenting what I'm doing to get there, every step of the way through my youtube channel

• Members

ok, where's the music?

No offense but this reminds me of the band I was in where they had a three step plan to getting rich and famous:

step 1) Sit on couch discussing how awesome it's going to be when we are rich and famous

step 2) (??)

step 3) Selling millions of albums and touring the world

Isn't it interesting that no band makes it past step 1? Mine was no exception.

• Moderators

Okay, just because I like to keep an open mind, I'm going to leave this up, and ask that the regulars try to keep the negativity to a minimum...

guys, he may just have found something we all missed...if nothing else, I applaud the audacity.

However, to the OP, it is quite apparent that you have yet to record this material (oh, the audio level on your vlog is too low, btw...I hope you record your CD better) which you plan to sell a million of, so I await the actual product to express an actual opinion regarding your actual chances...

• Members

I wish you luck, but you're just one of several million people who are all trying to ride the Internet free promotion train to fame and fortune. What are you going to do to be heard above the deafening noise? And how are you going to reach the mainstream market on a promotions budget of zero?

Not to mention the difficulty of being a songwriter, recording engineer, producer, promotions team, AND working a day job and being a husband and a father ...

On the other hand ... maybe Jonathan Coulton could give you some tips?

• Members

On the other hand ... maybe Jonathan Coulton could give you some tips?

Coulton doesn't sell a million records. He does sell a fair amount of digital downloads, but per interviews half his money is from concerts and merch.

He's pretty crafty about the way he uses the Internet to make money, though. You don't *have* to sell records to make money. And you also don't have to be mega-known... Jonathan Coulton is practically unknown outside the comedy / filk / geek circles.

• Members

Assuming that an average album is still 10 songs, wouldn't that mean having to sell 10 million songs in a year? By an unknown guy over the internet? Isn't that like 834,000 downloads a month?

I'm going to go ahead and call bull{censored} now and get it over with. :facepalm:

• Members

Being married with kids isn't a real good formula for selling a million records in today's market. I would say that many if not most artists make a huge amount from touring and merch and touring can run into conflict with married life.

Wasnt sure if this was in reference to me being married, but my reference was to pretty much every band I was in from age 14 to 30 lol.

I quit a lot of bands over teh years. :p

Now I'm taking a sensible approach to just being happy move from stepping stone to stepping stone, and won't jump into anything that isn't in my best interest. I'm pretty damn happy where I'm at, actually :) If nothing much changed (well, I wouldn't mind gigging 5x a week :p ), I'd die a happy man. Well, maybe not lol. but I'm generally laid back, despite my coming off here as a psycho.

• Members

Ah, just what the world needs; yet another person who completely believes something to the extent that they feel empowered to persuade others to completely believe something, when they have nothing to back up that belief.

Q: Has he already sold 1 million albums? A: No

Q: Can anyone ever reliably predict a million seller? A: No

• Members

This thread reminded me of the million dollar homepage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4585026.stm

In other words, it is not inconceivable that an ingenious, original marketing idea or gimmick could resonate to a spectacular extent - although the odds are still against it; it still needs a break to reach critical mass.

The million-dollar homepage reached a stage where people/companies paid to be part of the story, and they either wanted that enough to override the sense of "wait a minute, this kid's making out like a bandit and I'm just getting a bunch of pixels" or figured being a part of the page was good value advertising (whether or not this belief was justified.)

Trouble is, anything that revolves around "be part of this original, audacious idea" buzz necessarily isn't repeatable - do the same thing again and it's no longer original or audacious.

• Members

Good Luck....

I plan on getting laid a million times in that period....

And I'm going to ask each woman to pay me a dollar....

Man I'm going to be rich....

But awfully sore.......
:rolleyes:

A million bucks buys a lot of ointment :thu:

• Members

Sooo...

Middle aged guy with kids recording his own CD on a computer with an NT-1A microphone. Hey, it's me! No...

I'm doubting Daniel (I believe that's his name) is coming back here in this forum to check on this thread. If he does, it's all like harsh here and such so I doubt he'll comment. But...

The concept is to generate buzz. I give him some props for at least trying something. I will say this again - I stand on the "make your own cd" side of the fence, opposite of many people here. If you want to make music and you have something to say, don't sit around complaining about how no one will buy it so what's the point... MAKE the CD. You'll have fun, your family and friends will love it, you'll have a great "frozen in time" record of where you were as a musician.

But as far as selling it to the general public... well, in general, the public doesn't want it. The best approach is to accept that. Then when you do sell music, you're happy instead of bitching about not selling enough.

This campaign of "sell a million records" really isn't a great idea, though. It sort of sets him up as arrogant to every musician who is trying to sell their own CD. Just look at the posts in this thread. And he says he's willing to share advice every step of the way. The dude mixes on headphones. I wouldn't be taking much advice from him.

Archived