New Guitar Day! And this one's a WILDKAT! ($350 MF deal)

GAS Man

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the look of these guitars.

How does it sound?

I was thinking of getting one, but I already have 3 electrics. I'm a poor grad student. When I'll get a good paying full-time gig (which will hopefully, knock on wood, be soon) I'll start up a collection. I'll get a Squier 51 and if they still have these around, I'll get it. They're truly gorgeous.

• Members

Looks hot! Been debating whether to get the Epi Wildcat or for not that much more the Gretsch G5120. Decisions, decisions.

Honestly, between the two, I might opt for the Gretsch 5120. But must state that I haven't tried the 5120. I already have a Gretsch 6120 so I wanted to add this WK to my guitar herd because of its smaller body size and to get more of an edgy P-90 tone. And frankly, I find the WK to sound a little more mellow than I would have thought it would for a P-90 guitar, but it still needs to have its pole pieces balanced out (raised) under the strings. I remember a couple years ago comparing a WK against a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet at a GC, and the Pro Jet had more of the twangy rockabilly tone I was looking for. So that had cooled my jets for wanting a Wildkat for some time. But with the discount they were offering on these and after reading some reviews with some good tips on improving the tone through minor adjustments, I decided to give this one a try. My guess would be that the Gretsch will sound a bit livelier, but will need a bit more gain and volume to compare next to the Wildkat.

• Members
Very, very cool looking guitar! Keep the posts comming in regards to how you like/dislike it. I may order one. Is it hollow or semi?

Semi. And I guess you could say it's really even more correctly described as chambered instead of semi-hollow, but it does manage to impart a decent semi-hollow tone. Yeah, I'll be back playing around with it tonight. The wife hasn't spotted it yet, but once I throw it up on my guitar tech mat, the gigs up. :eek:

So I'll just say, "What? Tony Tiger? It's been around since last year babe. ;)

:D

• Members
how do you store that many guitars?

Okay, since two of you asked, I'll answer. I often don't like to talk about "how many", it feels a bit odd in a "self-expose' " type of way.

But actually, storing the number of guitars I have does become a F'n problem. :eek:

Right now I'm sitting in my guest bedroom/office/music room and there's 16 guitars crowding around me. Then out in the living room there's another 9 kicking around either in their cases or sitting in a stand. Then I have a sauna (came with the house) that turned into a storage room, and then there's an alcove wing off of my bedroom that has them lined up against one wall and tucked into a couple other corners, plus, one in a stand next to my bed, and then there's a amoire that has three in cases stacked on top of it.

Now the guitar clutter even drives me a bit to distraction (and add about 11 amps to that). And I'd say my wife is a step removed from perfect, but I wouldn't be able to do this guitar collecting thing if she didn't have a great deal of patience with my self indulgences. But part of the key is "wife number 2". They aren't usually as much of a control freak as "wife number 1's" usually are. And this woman is particularly tolerate of the clutter I create with my GAS. But it's tough. My house is maybe 1900 or so square feet (so not so big) and with an open floor plan. So there's not a lot of places to squirrel them away.

The only strategy I have is to avoid multitudes of hardshell cases unless they come with the guitar. You can squeeze a lot more together if you use gigbags for bump and dust protection.

I often daydream of how to create a double decker glass door storage case for them, sort of like a gun case, and then eliminate most of the cases. Should be do-able huh. I figure roughly 10 feet long and double decked would do it. But truly a downside of getting too many axes, is not only storage and time to give each one justice, but also ready access.

Oh well, it's time to go scour the on-line stores for "blowouts". :D

:wave:

Archived