Sell 4-5 Good guitars for One Great Guitar?

Stinkfoot

• Members
Demo a similar custom shop Schecter first. I went through this process myself back in January. I look at a EJ Strat and a custom shop tele. The demo changed my perceptions- The grass was not greener. Both guitar demo well but lost some luster once I compared them in playability and tone to what I had. Tone is in the finger not the wood. I know this is not apples to apples but in your collection are some gems. and when they are gone you will regret it Thin the herd is a good idea. I am down to three guitars that I play all of the time. The more time I play and less time on I look for gear makes me a better player.

This is really good advice. I guess it's easier to look at specs on paper and nice photos than to actually go out there and play tons of guitars to find one that speaks to you. I'm just to the point where I want a guitar that has specs a, b, c, d, etc... so finding something that met those requirements got me a bit excited. Out of all fretboard materials I prefer ebony. The stainless steel frets on my parker are so nice (not sure if it's unique to the parker or if all ss frets would be as nice). I like the look and tone of walnut for a wood choice. Etc. Locking tuners, bone nut, good pickups/electronics are all pretty standard I guess once you get into the $1,500 - $2,500 range.

What would I not miss? The SG classic has a really chunky neck and I have smaller hands. I already have a standard. Both are heritage cherry. I do want one guitar with p-90's so it's a tough one. The squier has p-90's but it's not in the same league as the classic. It is a nice guitar and I don't feel the need to baby it. I probably wouldn't miss it that much. The parker as nice as it is, doesn't have the strat sound covered as well as the actual strat obviously. Plus the horn kind of bugs me when I'm sitting. The hellraiser is nice. Maybe some of you don't like the looks or the EMG's :cool: . It's cool to have one "metal" guitar around though. Actually, my wife has dibs on it before I would be able to sell it. The HWY Tele is really nice. I'm sure there nicer tele's out there but this one suits me fine. I don't know how much I'd miss it, but I'd end up getting some kind of tele again anyway so that would be silly. I just picked up the Schecter Classic from someone in the spam thread. It's American made and a very light ash body. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I'm liking it quite a lot. The Les Paul has some things I really like and some I don't. The pickups are great IMO. I don't like how heavy it is and the neck is somewhat on the chunky side but not too bad. I think of it as a studio guitar so the weight isn't a problem either. The Rickenbacker was my only guitar for several years. I know it like the back of my hand. I won't even consider selling it. The SG standard is a really amazing guitar. It's got good usuable tones. It's comfy and well balanced. I feel like it's a quality guitar all around. I would miss it. The Strat is also solid. I think everyone needs a good strat. It's nothing special though so I could replace it with something nicer. Hmmm.

Suhr, Hamer, Parker and Fender would be brands to look into off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others I should consider too. I'm open to ideas.

• Members

The one thing I definitely wouldn't do is keep three or four humbucker (or three or four single coil) guitars and sell the rest, that really limits your sound options.

I actually would keep what you have. They are good guitars, and I don't think you would be upgrading that much. The last one I would sell on that list is the Parker Nitefly, which has some of the features you want (stainless steel frets, locking tuners), and piezo pickups that the others don't.

• Members

Gibson SG Standard (H/H)

Gibson SG Classic (p-90/p-90)

Gibson VM Les Paul (H/H)

Fender Highway One Tele (S/S)

Fender MIA Strat (S/S/S)

Rickenbacker 650S (mini H/mini H)

Schecter S Classic (H/H)

Schecter Hellraiser (EMG81/85)

Squier Tele Custom II (p-90/p-90)

Parker Nitefly SA (S/S/H)

No offense, but why would you drop $2500 for a custom schecter? I mean yes, it has everything you want, but $2500 for a few moderate upgrades is not worth it. I have no experience with their custom shop, but is it really that good that they're charging as much as other companies such as Anderson or Suhr?

But you've got quite an array of guitars there. All have their own little perks. The only obvious red-headed step child I see there is the Squier. You've already got a dual P-90 guitar and a telecaster of (assumably) superior quality. If you really wanted to get another schecter, I see no reason to keep the other two.

• Members
The Les Paul has some things I really like and some I don't. The pickups are great IMO. I don't like how heavy it is and the neck is somewhat on the chunky side but not too bad.

That's quite different than mine then. What made me decide to keep my VM LP is that it is uber-light which creates quite a vowel-like sound for an LP. I have heard that these critters have varied in weight and that the earlier versions were heavier.

Mine has the optional baby rattle as well. :thu::D But they let me keep it for six and a quarter which I figured wasn't too bad including HS case.

There is the new LP Classic Antiques coming out that have '57 Classics in them. I wonder if that would be a good trade up for you?

• Members

My collection has maxed out lately. I seem to have some redundant guitars. Part of me likes having lots of choices but I also can see the advantage of selling some off to add a really great guitar to my collection. I wonder why not have one guitar that has my ideal specs and options versus having them spread out among multiple guitars? I'm looking to thin the herd. I won't go into basses, acoustics or any other gear right now, I'm just focusing on electric guitars.

Here's what I have currently:

Gibson SG Standard (H/H)

Gibson SG Classic (p-90/p-90)

Gibson VM Les Paul (H/H)

Fender MIA Strat (S/S/S)

Rickenbacker 650S (mini H/mini H)

Schecter S Classic (H/H)

I have my eye on a Schecter Custom Shop guitar with a walnut body & neck, ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, locking tuners, bone nut, duncan pickups (push/pull), tonepros bridge (string thru). Those are all specs that I would seek out if I were to have a custom guitar built for me. It's price around 2,500. I'm not sure if I can bring that price down much. If you had my collection, what would you sell/keep/do. I don't want to regret any moves. The only ones That I really must keep are the Rickenbacker and the SG standard as those have sentimental value beyond being great guitars. I'd prefer to keep the strat and/or tele too because those are what I consider signature sounds and I use them fairly often. Anyone find themselves in a similar situation? I'm looking for ideas.

No offense, but can you be sure that you will like the Schecter Custom shop? I mean other than the appearance, have you actually played one?

As for the ones to sell, I think you answered your own question. Personally, when I was in that position and wanted to sell something to finance something, I always played the one/s in question through a good tube amp or two and run it through its' paces and then compare. I would only sell something that didn't have a unique and dynamic voice (in comparison with my others) or had some playability issues.

• Members

Gibson VM Les Paul (H/H)

Schecter S Classic (H/H)

I'd sell these.

Close. But I see it differently. I would definitely keep the Ric, the SG Classic, The Strat and the Tele. I don't know that much about the Parker, so I suppose you could opt to keep it instead of the Strat - your call. You pretty much got the 2-humbucker thing covered. Choose between the SG and the VM LP, sell one. I'd let the two Schecters go as well. Since the SG classic should pretty much cover your P-90 needs, you could part with the Squier. That should do ya.

Of course, it really depends on how much you like/play your guitars. It is all a matter of personal preference. You have some nice guitars, regardless of what you decide, you will have some great options left. Good luck.

However, if it were me, I'd sell those and get a 335 or other quality semi-hollow.

• Members

Gibson VM Les Paul (H/H)

Schecter S Classic (H/H)

I'd sell these.

Me too.

I would have one really nice gtr instead of 10 POS agiles or the like.

• Members

I'll play the part of a boring financial advisor. :D

1. Do you play professionally? If so, do you make enough income from playing guitar professionally to legitimately deduct this purchase from your taxes?

2. Did you buy any of the guitars you own now using credit in any form? If so, have you completely paid off this debt if this is a hobby purchase or is this debt structured into a business operation if you play professionally?

3. If this is a hobby purchase, is your personal income and savings level sufficient enough for you to afford a high priced luxury item? If it is a professional purchase, is your professional income sufficient enough to justify this expenditure?

Answering these kind of questions truthfully is why I have cheap guitars and no bass boat. :cry::D

• Members

Back to the original question, I sold four cheap guitars to buy a Gretsch Duo Jet Elliot Easton, and it was a great decision. I also sold a bunch of gear to finance a Fender Custom Shop Strat, and that strat has been such a confidence booster for me. I never worry about it going out of tune or sounding thin or boomy. I trust it with my life.

Then I sold four amps and bought a Marshall handwired 18 watter, and I have not looked back. So I say, go for it.

• Members

Thanks for all the constructive advice. I don't want this to turn into a snorkil dick thread. I will probably end up selling the Squier Tele, SG Classic, Parker and perhaps the Les Paul. I might just take 1400 - 2000 and get some kind of semi hollow with p-90's and bigsby plus a (used) mesa mark IV or some other good hi gain amp. Reading docjeffrey's post, I'm realizing my amps are lacking compared to my guitars. I have a Marshall 30 watt artist hybrid and a Fender Reissue Twin Reverb. Both are good but sort of one dimensional. I have pedals covered and don't want to go there anyway. It seems the smart thing to do is get a really good amp before more guitars.

More personal info.. I moved into a house with a basement earlier this year where I have all my equipment set up. I don't gig right now but I have been working with a drummer recently. I played bass with my last band so it's nice to go back to guitar. I don't mind holding down the bass but I mainly write, play and think as a guitarist first. Welcome to my little world of GAS by the way.

:wave:
:snax:

• Members
Thanks for all the constructive advice. I don't want this to turn into a snorkil dick thread. I will probably end up selling the Squier Tele, SG Classic, Parker and perhaps the Les Paul. I might just take 1400 - 2000 and get some kind of semi hollow with p-90's and bigsby plus a (used) mesa mark IV or some other good hi gain amp. Reading docjeffrey's post, I'm realizing my amps are lacking compared to my guitars. I have a Marshall 30 watt artist hybrid and a Fender Reissue Twin Reverb. Both are good but sort of one dimensional. I have pedals covered and don't want to go there anyway. It seems the smart thing to do is get a really good amp before more guitars.

More personal info.. I moved into a house with a basement earlier this year where I have all my equipment set up. I don't gig right now but I have been working with a drummer recently. I played bass with my last band so it's nice to go back to guitar. I don't mind holding down the bass but I mainly write, play and think as a guitarist first. Welcome to my little world of GAS by the way.

:wave:
:snax:

Cool, congrats on the new direction :thu:

• Members

I'm sorry but there's no redundancy there. But then again I have trouble finding redundancy in my herd.

The only thing I'd allow you to consider is to sell off the two Schecters and then add in $ if necessary to get the Schecter Custom you're eyeing.

That's the same way I see it.

• Members

I'd get rid of these:

Gibson SG Standard (H/H) (since you said the other has emotional value)
Schecter S Classic (H/H)

(I have to admit, I'm a whore for my LP VM)

Also, in terms of keeping your gear in the basement, I'd keep the gear raised up off of the floor at least six inches. Basements tend to flood and I hear it rains in Oregon.

• Members

I did just that and am very happy. Traded my Franken-tele and Fernandes Ravelle for a Gibson SG. I like both of the guitars I traded but was never super bonded to them and rarely played them. Was wanting something I would play a lot and serve as my no. 2 humbucker guitar. I already like the SG more than both. From a financial perspective, it was pretty even and think the guy getting the two was really happy as well - he is a single coil guy and got a nice tele and the Ravelle for his nephew. So we were both really pleased.

Archived