Which Miles Davis Album?

blackpig

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Sketches is, for sure, a well loved album. But it's not very representative of Miles' work.

Agreed. It's not everyone's cup of tea, either.

"Miles Ahead", from the same time period and also featuring Gil Evan's exquisite arrangements, is an excellent album.

• Members

Originally posted by bejeeber

Kind of Blue
appears to be the most consistently mentioned album here and for good reason. I'd say that'd be the #1 pick to start with.

He also plays real nice on the great Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" album from around the same time period.

Hey let's hear some stories about that!

Velveeta_Matt_Ragan.JPG

those are my two favorite Miles records...and also my 2 favorite Cannonball records!

If i had to make a short list of recommendations for a newbie to Miles, id probably say:

1) Kind Of Blue

2) Something Else(in the Cannonball Adderly section)

3) Someday My Prince Will Come(beautiful!)

4) Love Songs(compilation of easy ballads)

5) Miles Smiles(for the slightly more adventurous)

6) Four And More(also a little more adventurous)

for a newbie, i would probably suggest avoiding "Sketches of Spain"(lovely, but not representative of his work), "Birth Of the Cool"(great record, but these are rather busy big band arrangements with short solos), and any of his mid-70's to 80's releases with his electric band("Bitches Brew", etc)

I picked up "The Cellar Door Sessions" a couple months ago and it is hard for me to listen to this.

happy listening!

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

...Miles is playing "Jean Pierre", and has gone off....

I knew then just how not of this world Miles really was.

I know that you worked for Miles.

Mama mia, i love that "Jean Pierre", "My Man's Gone Now" etc. stuff !!!

Have seen it live several times, have it on CD+Vinyl "WE WANT MILES", on DVD, and recorded it of the TV more then once.

That's the "chill out" i prefer !!!!

• Members

Great suggestions all!

When I landed in Lisbon in 2001 I practically ran off the plane to the record store to buy Dragon Records' "Miles Davis in Stockholm 1960 Complete." It features the Chambers/Cobb/Wynton Kelly rhythm section and, when Coltrane isn't there to knock everyone's socks off (check out his solo on "So What" for those roiling arpeggios) Sonny Stitt is equally transcendent during his spotlight on "Lover Man."

What else? Vol. 1 & 2, Star People, Agartha, Miles Smiles, Jack Johnson, On the Corner, We Want Miles . . . too much good stuff!

Thanks for the indulgence!

• Members

in a silent way and kinda blue for the cool

friday night at the blackhawk (live)

friday night at the blackhawk (live) volume 2

any of the blackhawk music will be amazing...

big fun

live evil

on the corner

live at the filmore

Pangaea

Aghartha

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CAW010601050615&sql=11:4x62mp939f7o~T2

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

As far as my favorite, that's difficult. I think it's probably "Bitch's Brew", but "Kind of Blue" is magical as well.

Those are my two favorites as well.... but I think I'd reverse their order, since my all time fave is still "Kind of Blue". :)

Archived