Oops...Gibson messed up this SG!

Hoddy

• Members

I wonder what year that SG is?
I am pretty convinced that during some period of time in 2006 the guitars coming out were just not happening. Some in the Music Store business have told me they believe this to be true due to the PRS lawsuit. I have noticed on some 2006 guitars a noticeable reduction in quality but I am just a player so I dont know. But if anyone finds out what year that SG custom is I would like to know

• Members

Response from the seller:

"here's the deal,on the les pauls the logo is upside down,due to a right handed person putting it on there thinking the wrong way around,this is why the historic series replicate even the flaws of the originals somtimes,same with the bridge,but the top part that sits on the bridge is the correct way around with perfect inntonation.Thanks."

• Members
Something doesn't quite look right with the Diamond on the headstock. The bottom two 'ice picks' seem to be a bit too far away from the truss rod cover.

On my SG/LP Custom, the bottom two 'points' are practically touching the trc and all other customs are the same way.

Don't cha think?

Here's mine.

CIMG0088.jpg

Na. Do an image search on Google. From the results i got, i kind of led me to believe that yours is a cheap Chinese knock off.:D

• Members

This would be enough of a red flag to keep me away from this...

ABSOLUTLEY NO PAYPAL ON THIS .WESTERN UNION MONEY ORDER OR USPS MONEY ORDER ONLY

Too fishy. No recourse.

I've just read the ad and noticed that too.Judging by the deliberately crap photos and vague-er than vague description,I'd call fake too.That logo just doesn't look right.

• Members

The "top part that sits on the bridge"? What the hell is he talking about? The saddles? I can't see how this would intonate correctly.

It won't intonate correctly, I'm a lefty who's owned a bunch of right handed SG, so intonating them would be the exact same as that one...you can get them close enough for live work, but you'd never be able to to studio work with it. The guy is full of {censored}.

• Members

I PM'd a couple of the moderators...Justcrash and Hackedbychinese...I don't know who did it.

The reason I picked this moniker is my first name is Hank and Rydarcik was the last name of my great-grandparents on my mother's side...they immigrated here from Austria-Hungary.

Thanks!

• Members
Something doesn't quite look right with the Diamond on the headstock. The bottom two 'ice picks' seem to be a bit too far away from the truss rod cover.

On my SG/LP Custom, the bottom two 'points' are practically touching the trc and all other customs are the same way.

Don't cha think?

Here's mine.

CIMG0088.jpg

I've seen them touch the truss rod cover and I've seen the a good quarter of an inch away from the truss rod cover. Here's one on Ebay where the tips of the diamond are a bit away from the truss rod cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-GIBSON-Les-Paul-CUSTOM-Electric-GuitarReissue_W0QQitemZ120120947199QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members
"

That is true about some of the lefty Les Pauls, I've had some with the logo right side up and some with it upside down. And I had a lefty Custom with a right handed truss rod cover where all the writing was upside down.:D

• Members

's mel gibson...here's another one where the points don't touch the truss rod cover.

I see!. It's a weird thing I've never noticed before until now and I'm beginning to see differences in the open book height on the these two past images. They both seem too tall at the center but,...maybe I'm just imagining things.

Maybe they're both fake?

Or I'm just a paranoid skeptic.

I go into a music store and see dozens of Custom headstocks and from what I can remember, they don't vary that much.

I'll be looking a bit harder next time I go shopping at L&M's.

Archived