Worst GUITAR You've Ever Owned...

steve_man

• Members

Stradolin I bought from Woolworth's in the late 70's. My first guitar. It looked like a Mosrite had sex with a Strat, that had sex with a piece of firewood. Played like it too. I gave it away when I got my first 'real' guitar - a Fender Mustang.

~Blackbelt

• Members

A Kent copy of a Les Paul Special. It looked nice in sunburst, but on closer inspection, it looked and played like crap. It had humbucker covers, but underneath the covers were strat-sized single coils! Also, the string-to-string distance was very narrow at the bridge. Even the spacing for the pickup pole pieces were narrower than normal guitars. Strange. I put in on craigslist for $50 and I got 10 breathless responses.

• Members

I've returned a few...

- Lag Jet Newvintage JV100: they had messed up the bridge location (low E very close to the edge of the fingerboard, high E far away from it), 2nd one came with a twisted neck.. gave up on them

- Ibanez ADX-120: received two which had terrible buzz on the 3 lower strings a setup couldn't fix... probably the frets or the neck, no idea... gave up on those, too and will be getting a real Iceman :p

- Cheap Alba tele: was too cheap, ugly, ugly neck and felt like a toy

That's 3 out of ~40. Stuff I sold (most of it probably unknown to non-europeans, but anyway)...

- Keiper Les Paul - not bad, but.. I never picked it up

- Fernandes Native X - too heavy!

- Keiper Powerstrat - Lic. Floyd Rose POS!

- Stagg Bigsby Tele - nothing special

- SHOT strat clone - plywood, korean.. not bad actually, but I have so many better strat clones

- Johnson Deluxe Tele - very thin tele which came with terrible Johnson stock pups (not the EMG-designed ones). again not bad with different pups, but I got better

- Wesley Freeport P90 semi-hollow tele (set neck) - nothing special

• Members

I had two...

The first was a "factory 2nd" Epi Les Paul that I bought off of ebay. Looked great, but never played or sounded right to me. I never could put my finger on what it was about it I didn't like. Sold it to a girl that really liked it

The second was a piece of junk Ibanez GIO I bought off of ebay. The guy had filled in scratches with a sharpie, the neck felt terrible, and the pups sounded like poo. Sold it to one of my kids at church as a starter. It worked fine for him until he got good enough to play. Now he has an Epi. (by the way, I sold it to him CHEEEAAAP)

• Members

Ahh.. I also have a Samick starter kit guitar.. Cost about $100 with an amp in the 90s or so, I dunno. Got it off eBay without doing any research first :mad: Hardtail bridge has a broken saddle so I didn't even get to play it.

• Members

My first electric. Late 60's Conrad sunburst solid body that was very Fender Jazzmasterish looking but with the mandatory rocker switches all cheap guitars had. Two single coils hidden behind chrome humbucker size covers. I plugged it into my Silvertone and it made one sound ... thrum. Didn't matter which pickup, where you set the tone, etc. it had one muddy sound. I hated it for looking so good, too!

• Members

My first guitar. It was a Teisco Del Rey with four or five weak, {censored}ty-sounding pickups, a bunch of knobs and switches, and little flowers on the pick guard. I was jazzed to have a guitar at all of course, but even then I knew that it sucked.

• Members

hamer "Slammer" explorer copy. The neckwas so terrible that you could do neck bends with the slightest of pressure. Had a cool-ish tone to it, but all the problems greatly outweighed the positive aspects. That thing was lame from day one. Ended up taking a sledgehammer to it. Still have the neck though.

• Members

I'll start with the 2nd worse guitar I've had, which was my first guitar: a 1981 Memphis P-Bass. Horrible.

Couldn't get worse, right? Especially when you then scrimp and save and buy a Warmoth Strat body, a Kramer neck, a Kahler Pro trem, Schaller tuners, Carvin M22SD pickup and have a luthier assemble it. And then it turns out to be the thinnest sounding, least sustaining POS you've ever played. I'm glad I got rid of that thing.

I'd say the "thin" part was that M22SD. Those are pretty hot, but thin sounding aren't they?

• Members

For anyone who started playing guitar in the early 80's, two brand names will be forever burned into your psyche:

Cort and Hondo.

These two brands were unimaginably bad in the early 80's...

I actually managed to snap a neck off of a Cort {censored}acaster once while playing it...and I wasn't pressing on the neck!!! It just came right out of the rotted plywood neck pocket...and, this guitar never had any water damage. Somehow, the plywood had actually disintegrated, and it passed QC in the good old Cort factory.

To this day, I've never seen anything like it. My cousin and I took the remains out to the driveway and gave it a Viking's Funeral, and then buried the ashes. True story. We were so overcome by bad vibes by what we saw that we knew the angry guitar gods demanded a sacrifice.

Modern-day Cort could be putting out Suhr-caliber quality, and I still wouldn't play one... :)

• Members

back in the broke days, i really wanted an acoustic - so i got a little fender acoustic for like 300 bucks.

the goddamn bridge cracked in half when i was restringing it after having it for about 6 months. no saving it at that point, really, so i smashed it and threw it in the dumpster. it was then that i vowed to never buy cheap instruments ever again.

• Members

back in the broke days, i really wanted an acoustic - so i got a little fender acoustic for like 300 bucks.

the goddamn bridge cracked in half when i was restringing it after having it for about 6 months. no saving it at that point, really, so i smashed it and threw it in the dumpster. it was then that i vowed to never buy cheap instruments ever again.

Yeah I had a similar experience with an Epiphone Flying V. It even got smashed! I sold the damn thing on eBay and it shipped it and when the guy got it the hardshell case was broken in half! UPS thinks a tractor ran over it

Anyways that guitar sounded horrible and it taught me a valuable lesson. You get what you pay for. Those cheap Epiphones are cheap for a reason. They are crap.

Moral of the story, never buy an epiphone! They look like a Gibson but sound like garbage

Archived