More Influential: Ygnwie (YJM) and Cobain?

curseoftruth

• Members

I was going to post in that other thread but I was leaving work. I think between those two, Cobain simply because not a lot of people really listened to Yngwie. A lot of people I knew bought one album and were amazed, but I don't think he was many people's favorite for any length of time. Relative to Nirvana I mean. Satch came along, then Vai, people got distracted.

As far as your list I would probably want to put Hetfield on there, I think he had more to do with the direction that heavy music took. Nirvana was huge, but they were really the visible face of something that had been brewing for 6 or 7 years already. Emo goes way back, Fugazi was out before Nirvana and the roots are in the late years of hardcore and the post-hardcore "what can we do besides thrash" period of the late 80s. It wasn't just Sub Pop; SST, AmRep, a lot of Homestead bands, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, The Butthole Surfers, The Melvins, everything was moving in that direction for a long time. Nirvana was just the band with a breakout hit and an album that could back it up.

To some degree you could probably say that about any of those guys though; I think Eddie Van Halen was as influential as he was because he was a big rock star because he sold millions of records because he wrote catchy songs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cobain was over-rated. I remember before he died reading how the other grunge bands didn't like Nirvana. They're the only major grunge band of that period that I never liked, never bought a cd, just didn't do it for me. I don't see a comparison with Yngwie, who had his day in the 80's and was a huge influence on guitar players-go ahead admit it, if you were playing back then, you wanted to play like him. Apples and oranges though.

If you like Cobain's songwriting, fine-I don't really. Some of their songs were okay at best. When I bought Pearl Jam's Ten purely on a recomendation from a friend, I was blown away from the first song. Alice in Chains, same thing. Stone Temple Pilots, okay, not so much. Some good songs. Cobain barely qualifies as a guitar player-mostly a strummer/songwriter. I'll take Jeff Buckley.

• Members

on topic : cobain is the most influential in my opinion...I'll probably have some hate here but I think NIRVANA's music is quite a bit more enjoying than any metal/shredder band will ever be

off topic: The A Team for life man...Mr.T could kick david and his little car's ass

• Members

the kurt cobain suicide jokes are getting incredibly boring. i don't know how many times i've listened to different variations on the same thing, generally by guys with pointy guitars and fond memories of bands who wore lime-green stretch pants.

If you say so. Those lime-stretch, pointy guitar players are just about a metric ton better than Ol' Pansy Cobain.

If only Randy Rhoades, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio were as good as Cobain, huh? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Oh my, more over compensating jokes! Hell, that was lamer than the joke I made.

So at what age did you get neutered?
:wave:

If you say so. Those lime-stretch, pointy guitar players are just about a metric ton better than Ol' Pansy Cobain.

If only Randy Rhoades, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio were as good as Cobain, huh?
:lol:

Jesus man, sorry to rant, but its people like you who ruin these kinda topics, they were civic and to the point and genuine, but man come on......oh well nevermind....

• Members

Jesus man, sorry to rant, but its people like you who ruin these kinda topics, they were civic and to the point and genuine, but man come on......oh well nevermind....

Agreed. Let's not be retarded here people, we are not talking talent at all. That point was made early on. It is MORE INFLUENTIAL and having more impact on guitar players in heavy rock and heavy rock in general. We can all bash Nirvana all day long, joke about KBs death, how other bands hated them, blah, blah, blah. But denying the long term impact he had on music is like denying Pheonix is a hot place in the summer. Its just the way it is. Take your personal opinion out of it and look at facts.

Elvis had major impact as well on rock music, but I don't much care for him either and he is an easy target. Give me Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, or Buddy Holly any day, but Elvis is just more influential across the board. He was not the great songwriter, wasn't a great vocalist, wasn't a great guitarist -- but his impact is long lasting.

• Members

I guess we don't see eye to eye there. While I don't talk to the lead singer of Panic! at the Disco, or whatever emo band is big nowadays, I do speak to there fans, and they hate Cobain and NIRVANA.

Yeah, Emo and "grunge" might be related musically (I guess you could say) I'd say the fans find them mutually exclusive.

- Ged

• Members

There's more soloing on Nevermind than there is on St Anger so you can't really credit Nirvana for killing the guitar solo alone. What they did do was signal a trend towards more introspective and simple music.

Grunge is essentially dead, however and solos and shredding are coming back into fashion, especially in the metal scene.

So imo Nirvana left more of a trend than a legacy and in 50 years time when people are still using the type of blazing alternate picking and sweeping that Yngwie pioneered, his influence will still be there. Whether people are aware of it or not.

Not to mention the fact that he influenced actual guitar design like EVH did. That'll last forever if nothing else.

• Members

We seem to be talking about 2 different kinds of influence here.

Getting thousands of people to buy a guitar is completely different than getting them to spend years mimicing your playing style.

If you go by the latter. YJM

Overall, in the last twenty years it's hands down SRV.

I've met and talked to more people that have devoted large amounts of time to coping his style.

You'll never hear them on the radio, but there out there hacking up Pride and joy every weekend.

• Members

More music influence? Cobain.

A much much bigger influence on GUITAR PLAYERS: Yngwie.

Note the difference between music influence and guitar playing influence. Cobain influenced songwriting, he didn't influence guitar playing at all. Yngwie? Well, almost everyone is sweep-picking nowdays, I guess that counts for "some" influence

• Members

I dont think there is any doubt cobain influnced the general population, and music, more than yngwie. This isnt against anyone who loves yngwie and i respect his talent. But its just the way it is, nirvana was a cultural phenomenon.

This is a trap, isnt it.

It's a brilliant troll question. The answer is painfully obvious yet you just know there are those that will ignore what is right before them because of their own bias. Very clever. :idea:

• Members

My vote goes for Cobain, both as a musician and a person. I hate shredding. Creativity is (to me) way more cool than tecnique. Cobain had much creativity, and quite some tecnique too. But Yngwie just a tecnique-guy, and you can't make music without creativity.

• Members

Note the difference between music influence and guitar playing influence. Cobain influenced songwriting, he didn't influence guitar playing at all. Yngwie? Well, almost everyone is sweep-picking nowdays, I guess that counts for "some" influence

It's interesting you would say this.

When I see young guitar players these days I see very few that can even take a solo let alone sweep. OTOH, I see very many young players that think solos are passe, don't see any sense in learning covers and just want to write and play only their own music. But then again, maybe I'm missing the bigger picture. :idk:

• Members

But now I didn't stick to the question:P..

But my vote still goes for Cobain. Cobain is a name that makes people start playing. Malmsteen is a guy that all the old guys think is cool cause they (more or less) grew up with his music.

• Members

You said that very well. I think, being able to wright good songs is way more cool than shredding the hell out of the guitar, cause writing songs is the whole point in making music, isn't it? Shredding the hell out of the guitar is so.. overrated. Yngwie can't write good songs, he's more like a machine.

Heroes of flesh and bones should be way more influental of heroes of bolts and cords.

• Members
You said that very well. I think, being able to wright good songs is way more cool than shredding the hell out of the guitar, cause writing songs is the whole point in making music, isn't it? Shredding the hell out of the guitar is so.. overrated. Yngwie can't write good songs, he's more like a machine.

Oh {censored} off with your ignorant, bull{censored} comments already.

• Members

Naturally, and that's why I would bring forth Lennon/Harrison to the discussion.

Ok, as long as we are throwing names around arbitrarily...Stanley Jordan. Nobody played guitar like that before him. Another guitar virtuoso that is not very well known by the mainstream. His technique, style and signature licks are very recognizable. It's easy to track is influence in players today and I think his contribution to guitar is even more unique than YJM. Stanley covers a song and completely makes it his own.

The tie-in...here is Stanley playing a Beatles tune

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OHZTyfKseZE

Here Stanley covers Led Zeppelin and plays 2 guitars simultaneously :eek:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

And here he is doing his own composition

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rE3xz6ZxI0A

• Members

Actually, people have been tapping since the '50's. Hell, the Chapman Stick has been around since the late '60's, and it sure wasn't meant to be strummed.

You're only fooling yourself with that nonsense. Nobody tapped like that in the 50's or the 60's. Your YJM worship and bias are unmatched.

Archived