In 3 days, I'm retiring

• Members

Originally posted by Kendrix

Congrats.

58 is a kind of targtet for me.

Its the age at which my dad retired.

Very cool indeed to be able to spend your time 100% as you please - before you totally shrivel up of old age.
:D

Don't worry man,..two more years of changing toner cartridges and you're there ;)

• Moderators

Congrats! :thu:

I retired last year at 52. :)

I have one question not covered in your FAQ: are you concerned you might not have enough money to get by and if so, do you plan to return to work now or at some future time?

Thanks.

Terry D.

P.S. Isn't it a great feeling to realize, "Hey, I can never be unemployed again. Underemployed yes, but not unemployed!"

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Lucky you. I am on a path to wind up as the hunched over codger greeting shoppers at Wal-Mart.

:thu:

Becoming an old Wal-Mart greeter is exactly what I fear. I used to be a computer consultant for about 15 years and now I'm a certified real estate appraiser. Trouble is that since I'm self-employed, I have no pension or 401K. I've got 17 years until I'm 65, so I hope I can invest wisely in that time. I know people who were firemen or cops who retired with full pension at 45. It makes me wonder if I chose the wrong career path :).

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Congrats!
:thu:

I retired last year at 52.
:)

I have one question not covered in your FAQ: are you concerned you might not have enough money to get by and if so, do you plan to return to work now or at some future time?

First, thanks for all the congrats.

I didn't include that in my FAQ, because, believe it or not, no one has asked me. The FAQs have been asked of me ad nauseam ;) I don't want to get too personal, but this has been in the planning for at least 30 years. I was fortunate to have a couple of co-workers early on that were very investment oriented, and some of that rubbed off on me. Not necessarly the same methods, but the need for long term preparation. Barring an outrageous period of hyper-inflation, I'm not concerned.

• Members

Congratulations, Jeff!

I'm thinking about it and planning for it myself. There are some great, cheap retirement properties to be had in Mexico. I hear that things are cheap down there and everyone is leaving that area!

• Members

Originally posted by GY

Congratulations, Jeff!

I'm thinking about it and planning for it myself. There are some great, cheap retirement properties to be had in Mexico. I hear that things are cheap down there and everyone is leaving that area!

Congratulations Jeff! Thumbs up to ya. :thu:

When's the party?

Archived