Favorite Bass Line?

• Members

Botch threw me with "In Hot Water", probably because he and I are two of about probably 50 people in North America that have that tune on disc.

"Penny Lane" gets a high vote.
"Back To The Egg".
PF's "Dirty Woman".
"Mayor Of Simpleton". :thu:
left-field candidate--only because I know 99% of you have never heard it--is Steve Rodby's bassline on Pat Metheny's "'Til The End Of The World".

probably, though...my all time favorite:

"Walking On The Moon"

followed extremely closely by

"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about Pink Floyd's Money - 7/4 time, gotta love it.

Or Jethro Tull's Living in the past - 5/4 time,

I like Queen's Another one bites the dust bassline,

certainly anything by McCartney is usually magic, so it's hard to choose. I'm only sleeping, Lucy in the sky, Birthday, how do you choose ...

Bass solos, that would be another subject altogether ...

I like the bass riff in Good Vibrations - Brian Wilson wrote that and Carol Kaye played it as written.

Of recent times, the bass riff that blew me away was on the Moon Safari album by Air - can't remember the name of the song.

Macca has so many it's hard to narrow it down... Penny Lane is incredible, but so is L.S.D., and Paperback Writer deserves special mention too...

How about the bass line in Gladys Knight & The Pips "Neither One of Us" _ wish I knew who played that so I could give the proper credit for such an excellent job, but alas, I've never been able to find out for certain who played it. :(

Carol Kaye and James Jamerson deserve mega props for several of their bass lnes too - like Macca's work, there's too many gems to pick a single "best" one. :thu:

• Members

I second Offramp re: Mayor of Simpleton -- it was my wedding song! Colin Moulding has a lot of great lines in the Macca mode and, beyond that, did some truly inventive fretless playing on English Settlement. Snowman has a great bass line.

(Edit: Oops I see now that Lee mentione Simpleton first)

For my contribution: Jawbone, The Band ( Rick Danko)

Anything by Bruce Thomas from the Attractions. Just say Pump it Up 'cause it's his most famous and it is a great line.

• Members

Chris Hillman's playing on the Byrd's Fifth Dimension album -- there's nothing like it. Not even sure if it was him or some session cat, but unbelieveable stuff.

And Michael Henderson on Miles Davis' Jack Johnson is outstanding.

• Members

for sheer power, groove and simplicity, maybe temptations: "papa was a rolling stone"

not my all time fave, but a good one indeed...led zep - "the lemon song"

today on the radio, a crappy crappy song, but that syncipoated bass line on the outro is something: paul's "silly love songs."

also can't go wrong with rick james' "superfreak"

• Members

i am partial to the bass work in rocket man, during the verse, but thats not really a "bass Line".

so I'll have to go with i wish by stevie wonder. oh wait thats keyboard bass. i guess that rules out any soulive too.

i guess im not as good at this game as i thought. hmm.

oh well i tried

• Members

Good Times by Chic (Bernard Edwards)

Whats Goin' On by Marvin Gaye , or any thing else he playd on.(James Jamerson)

I'll Take You There by the Staples Singers (David Hood)

Scorpio by Dennis Coffeys Guitar Band (Bob Babbit)

Everybody is a Star by Sly and the Family Stone (Larry Grahm)

Shining Star by Earth Wind and Fire (Verdeen White)

• Members
If You Want Me to Stay- Sly and the Family Stone

:thu:

Also throw in-

"Cosmic Strut" by Mahavishnu Orchestra (Hugh Hopper bass w/ Narada on drums)

"Fantastic Voyage" by Lakeside (Otis Stokes Bass)

"Reach for It" by George Duke doesn't really apply because it's a keyboard bass riff, but Byron Miller's "lead bass" chops over that riff kick major ass.

arton693.jpg

• Moderators

BTW... people exlcuding lines because they're keyboard bass shouldn't. A bass line (to me anyway) is a line in the bass register that plays a certain function. Sousa had bass lines... It has nothing to do with fingertips on four strings of a Fender through an Ampeg, although that's my chosen line of attack. :)

• Members

Lee Knight sez-

Sousa had bass lines... It has nothing to do with fingertips on four strings of a Fender through an Ampeg, although that's my chosen line of attack.

Let's see...marching with your bass... while wearing a strap-on plow harness...which is pulling a cart...that's carrying your Ampeg Stack...turn it up to "11"...I think we're rockin' and marchin'!! :cool:

• Moderators
Originally posted by thefunkman

Let's see...marching with your bass... while wearing a strap-on plow harness...which is pulling a cart...that's carrying your Ampeg Stack...turn it up to "11"...
I think we're rockin'
and
marchin'!!
:cool:

No, no... for marching bands it's strickly the double bass for me. :)

• Members

Besides the awesome tunes already mentionned.....

The verses in "Give It Away" from RHCP... love that!

Stars- from Coldplay.... I often find myself humming the bassline.

Pretend- King's X... monster tone.:freak:

Bending New Corners- Erik Truffaz- from Reviste.... Miles Davis meets D'n'B! Great riff! :thu:

carry on....

• Members
Originally posted by Lee Knight

It's a trick... there is no bass in When Doves Cry. But then I guess you could say that
everybody
can play it like the original.
:)

I kept running the song through my head trying to get a read on the bass line and had a feeling you were messing with us, Lee, but I wasn't sure! :freak::D

Archived