Goodbye Ebay- And Thanks...

Guitarfetish

• Members
In three short years we've grown from ME and a card table to a multi million dollar business that is now able to play hardball with the world's largest factories, both in the States and overseas.

So... with all this success, do you need someone to lead your Information Technology Department?

Maybe somebody with 10+ years building web applications... who also has an MBA.. and experience managing software development?

Because, you know, I'd be real interested. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congrats!

I've only bought from you through your website, as have several of my friends that I turned on to your products.

I've only bought four things through Fleabay, and I was defrauded on two of them, and was only partially paid back one one of them because I won't use PayPal. I don't even LOOK at stuff on Fleabay anymore. There are so many horror stories about eBay these days that I'm surprised anyone sells or buys through them. Anyway, congrats to you on your growth, your great products for reasonable prices, and your decision to walk away from Fleabay with your dignity, honor and respect intact.

:thu::thu:

• Members

I'm too getting disenchanted with my modest Ebay activity (as a seller). Increasing listing and commission fees, along with ever rising shipping costs by all the major carriers, etc. What used to make for a fair deal for everyone in the loop has now become cost prohibitive to all parties, less fun, and much less worth the overall effort. I used to think something like Ebay could stay more-or-less inflation proof. Guess I screwed the pooch with that notion ... :o

I placed an ad on Craiglist recently scouting for musicians so I might join/form a band. I got 4 responses which is 4 more than I expected. Getting together with one group of guys this evening. Based upon that level response I'm gonna Craiglist a few things for sale that I normally might Ebay, and see how it goes.

• Members

Congrats on a successful startup, glad to see you can take off the eBay shackles. Just as an individual who occassionally buys/sells on eBay, selling in particular has become WAY more expensive, and more of a hassle. Add in PayPal fees, and it's a screw job.

What's needed: a competing auction site that's viable, but not so arrogant. Like eBay used to be, in other words.

All the best Jay. I love my Fat PAFs!

• Members

I've never bought anything from Guitarfetish or ebay. I wanted to, but they both demand ID Verification with a credit card, and i don't have a credit card.

Thank God for places like Music123.com, AXcessories.com, guitarpartscentral.com, sobstrings.com, et al, that don't ask for ID verification with a credit card and accept E-Checks.:thu:

• Members

I've heard similar stories. Ebay seems to be thinking small and looking only for amateurs. They should realize that reputable larger companies are a smart move because the fraud is less. Craigslist will be the big player in the future due to all the fraud problems.

For what it's worth I found you guys through Harmony Central.

• Members

WOW! Thanks for the heads up. I bought 3 ebay books this month for tips on selling and starting an Ebay business. Guess ill have to rethink my strategy for selling my merchandise, or at the very least, i realize Ebay may not be the Holy grail of marketing my merchandise. Thanks, and good luck.

• Members

Jay, I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full up. That is why I am posting this in the forum.

Greg Bogoshian here from RockBeach Guitars... Just wanted to congratulate you on the build of your business to the point where you can conduct it on YOUR terms, Jay! :thu: I have no outlet for my products outside of my website which is difficult to find, but then again, I do not have capacity to build a lot of guitars either, and I cannot afford to deal with the riff-raff that has permiated the auction site, so it is a necessary evil. You not only had a dream, but had the b^lls to go after it and you succeded without stepping on the little guys or your customers. KUDOS on ya, man! :thu: :thu:

Boggs

• Members

Coupons posted in the Spam thread-

Jay

Because I couldn't even find it among the huge pictures in the spam thread:

For my HCEG friends- a little loyalty thank you-

10% off all orders over $250- no restrictions- Enter code "HCTEN"

Orders ANY size free USA ground shipping- Enter code "HCLABORDAY"

Both good through Monday the 3rd.

Feel free to disseminate these codes elsewhere....

:thu:

• Members

An alfisto and guitar junkie? I knew I liked the cut of your jib.

Yeah getting my 73 Spider on the road before I have to store it for the Winter- that and the Duetto- which is my Winter project.

Building guitars is EASY compared to working on Italian cars!!

Jay

• Members

Well another way to look at is of their were no ebay when you started you would not be a "multi million dollar business" I would say you are getting out at the right time.ebay is getting ridiculous though.

Archived