Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Care About the Dixie Chicks?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

just because they're on the cover of time magazine, it doesn't mean that everyone cares about it . . . all i'm saying is don't blow the public attention out of proportion and then use that fact for criticizing the public.

well, i mean you could. i shouldn't be telling you all what to do. just saying you're dumb for doing it. ;)

• Members

So, if I buy a Chicks album, go to a Stones concert, or watch a Brad Pitt film, you guys consider that to be "celebrity worship?"

I worship only ONE celebrity, and He lived long before People Magazine was first published.

I agree that it's silly for people to be obsessed with celebrity. - When I see a famous person on the street, I keep walking and leave them alone. - But even more pathetic are those who concern themselves with how OTHERS react to celebrities. If I have a colleague who is head over heals for David Beckham, is that any of my business?

• Members

Keep in mind, the Dixie Chicks are just one of the many VITALLY IMPORTANT top news stories at the moment. The others include:

- Katie Couric leaving the Today show (yawn).

- Lance Armstrong cleared of doping allegations from 1999 (yawn the sequel).

- England goal celebration sparks new dance craze (yawn III).

"News" is entertainment, designed to get ratings and increase advertising rates... do NOT be fooled into thinking it's anything other than that (except some not-very-well-guised propaganda from time to time).

- Jeff

• Members

I think the thing is that they were frozen out of the country pop machine by a concerted effort, getting little ink, and virtually no airplay in the mainstream country pop media -- which had been their undisputed turf.

The fact they're back -- with a no. 1 album -- is a repudiation of the people who run country pop as well as a repudiation of large parts of the media who went along with the boycott and career-slamming.

I don't pick my country faves by their politics -- if I did, it would make it hard to listen to some of them, like Ricky Skaggs -- but when the Dixie Chicks started bucking the Nashville Pop Machine and the country music industry, I actually went out to check out their music (normally I stay far away from the country pop charts for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who likes real country music).

And I really liked what I heard. It's not just exceptionally well made country pop, a lot of their songs are actually about something (not all, mind you ;) ).

So, I guess, if the Country Pop Machine hadn't done everything it could to scuttle the 'Chicks' career, I might not have ever discovered one of the exceptions to the dreary rules that dominate country poop... I mean pop.

• Members

Myself, here in my armchair at the center of the universe, suspects that the media obsession with the Chicks has less to do with the inherent interest of the story than it has to do with demographics.

By which I mean: the last presidential election saw a bunch of new demographic definitions, and chief among the newly christened population groups was a "new rural" group often referred to as the Nascar Dads. You know how the media people work - sure they report the news, but they also have slots to fill to appeal to the major demographic groups. It's targeted advertising in a sense - find something to report that appeals to a particular group, just to keep them interested (hopefully) in your show or newpaper or magazine.

So here come the Chicks - nice to look at and young (the Nascar Dads all nod), country (the Nascar Dads nod, mostly), and most importantly, CONTROVERSIAL (the Nascar Dads look at each other, shrug, and say, "whatever"). But hey, the Chicks can also be targeted to the wives and daughters of the Nascar Dads because they are women (country-type women) who are speaking out. And the Chicks cut across the grain of the common perception of rural Americans as conservative and leaning toward Republican. (In reality, rural Americans are highly alienated from the government, but that's another story...)

Put all these factors together and the media manipulators think maybe they can make a real "item" out of the Chicks. I'm sure the Chicks don't mind! I must think, too, that the press relations arm of the Chicks organization must be doing a bang-up job and getting bonuses.

But of course, the Chicks are on a short lease, here. In a couple of years Bush won't be an issue (actually less time than that). And some other entertainer will surely do something more sexy and interesting and controversial than the Chicks.

Maybe by then the Chicks will have to rely only on their music to gather attention! By that time, all the press relations personnel will have moved on to some other job with some other celebrity.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Originally posted by xanaducomplex

I don't care either. I really don't need pop singers to think for me.

But the media has to talk about something. God forbid they go out and find a real story.
:rolleyes:

I think that's an EXCELLENT POINT.

The mainstream US media are obviously LOATH to cover much of the REAL news right now, which is increasingly calling into question the carefully created false reality so many US Americans have tried to live inside for the past 5 years...

... so what are essentially non-stories are given lots and lots of play to avoid covering the horror-inspiring realities of a HUGE increase in terrorism around the world, nuclear proliferation to rogue nations fostered by one of the US's "closest allies" (Pakistan) in the so-called war on terror -- and the increasingly disastrous results of global warming -- and, of course, arching over all of that the historic incompetence of the current US administration in almost all aspects of governance.

[since I'm a Republican businessman, it's my sense that I'm allowed to talk like this. But let me hasten to add that I have not been able to vote for a Republican at the national level in 6 years (and it most decidedly was not the appointed president.]

• Members
Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

mama mia nat whilk ii, you are a musicologist as well a political analyst.

You betcha - I'm an amatuer at almost anything. ;)

Actually, I'm fascinated with the demographics and statistics of political elections - they have the same attraction as sports to me. You can analyze the "teams" all day long, become a stats expert to whatever level of sophistication, and still the actual games hold surprises and yield plenty of material for post-game analysis, etc. to start the process all over again.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

We have a scientific correct proverb for that in Switzerland ---> !!! attention direct word by word translation:

"Actually i have I no clue, of that however each quantity"

is that understandable in american?

Now, see - you have purposefully set me something else to analyze in my amatuer fashion, so it's all your fault.

My guess is that your proverb might be translated as:

"In spite of my total ignorance, I will give you a very precise answer"

or,

"being clueless never stopped me from having an opinion"

What other kind of person did you expect to meet over the internet? ;)

nat whilk ii

• Members

I don't pay much attention to media whoredom regardless of who it is. I could not care less about the Dixie Chicks, Tom Cruise and the new wife and baby, Jessica Simspon and Nick Lache, Paris Hilton, or any of the other scandalous individuals that will sell themselves out to negative attention.

Unfortunately, those that keep themselves in the spotlight, good or bad, are the ones that stay in the minds of the public. Not all artists can be out of sight and remain fresh in the minds of the buying audience.

It takes a class act to endure long after the intitial hype has died...

You rarely see names like Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Rush, Eric Clapton, and many more in the same caliper in the headlines and yet, they still sell CD's. They don't need the bad press because they are solid enough to hold their own. Although, at least "one" member of one on the above mentioned acts has participated in political activism; his movements have not been splattered all over mainstream media. Don Henley, of the Eagles, is a well respected spokesman that has stood up for artist rights against the corporate pigs that bankrole many of the current politicians. However, Don Henley does not make a spectacle of himself in his efforts and he does not allow himself to be the target of mainstream media propoganda...

You'll find his name, as well as Sheryl Crow's, on several House Bills surrounding copyright policies and other legislation aimed at artists. They have their agenda too, but they do not try to drag their audiences into the arena with them. That is to be respected.

Although I'm not too keen on artists using their popularity to thrust their personal agenda on the public, I have to agree with Zeronyne that there is definitely cause for concern with our current leaders, but that's a discussion for the political forum.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Anderton

And I don't care about Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Denise Richards, Heather Locklear, any of them. Why do people spend any time whatsoever being interested in this kind of stuff?

Because they're younger, they have more hair, (except those who have shaved it off) have more time to waste, and probaby have more disposable income than you do.

Face it, Craig, you just can't compete in the normal consumer world yet. Start off by buying a Blackberry, then get yourself some really cool ringtones (they outsell CDs) and get rid of all that sophisticated music on your iPod and load it up with pop pap. Then you'll be on your way to true enlightenment.

• Members
Originally posted by Ani

You rarely see names like Pink Floyd, . . . in the headlines and yet, they still sell CD's. . .

pink floyd? in the headlines!? in the headlines for political activism!?! being in the headlines for political activism leading to album sales!?!?!? never!!!!!!

quoting wikipedia:

"In the week after Live 8, there was a revival of interest in Pink Floyd. According to record store chain HMV, sales of Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd went up, in the following week, by 1343%, while Amazon.co.uk reported increases in sales of The Wall at 3600%, Wish You Were Here at 2000%, Dark Side of the Moon at 1400% and Animals at 1000%. David Gilmour subsequently declared that he would donate all profits from this post Live 8 boom in sales to charity,[50] and urged that all the other performing artists and their record companies should do the same."

not disagreeing with what you're saying. just found the idea funny, considering all the talk about pink floyd just last year. i'd say that was as much, if not more, publicity than this dixie chicks story. (rightly so, of course. but still . . )

• Moderators

I mean, what's the big deal? They don't like Bush, said so, then did a song about what happened because they didn't like Bush and said so. Is this really such an earth-shaking big deal that they belong on the cover of freakin' Time magazine? I think not. Right now they're on Larry King, and the home page on AOL trumpets Dixie Chicks album back at No. 1. Is this what passes for news these days?

And I don't care about Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Denise Richards, Heather Locklear, any of them. Why do people spend any time whatsoever being interested in this kind of stuff?

Yeah, I think it IS a big deal.

What this is about is the brainwashing of America, and what now happens to any artist who speaks out against the politics of their demographic.

Chilling, really.

Terry D.

• Members

Aside from Tom Cruise, I barely know who any of them are. Nor, indeed, care.

I have to say, though, that Tom Cruise is a singularly irritating man.

• Members

I care about the Chicks only to the extent that their success pisses off their distractors. Kinda like the way Vanessa William's fame has tickled me over the years.

Still, I couldn't name a song by either of them.