Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Care About the Dixie Chicks?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love the Dixie Chicks work - their productions are world class as their album sales verify.

they have reached the peak of their chosen career and IMHO should be treated with the respect anyone who attains the highest level of their profession. I doubt any of the posters here have achieved as much.

This whole thing started because of a remark made during an overseas concert - I have personally experienced many if not most US performers doing exactly the same and getting the same instant applause. The US is sus!! Your international respect has plummeted and the views put forward in the thread in some explains it.

cheers

john

• Members

Originally posted by John Sayers

I love the Dixie Chicks work - their productions are world class as their album sales verify.

they have reached the peak of their chosen career and IMHO should be treated with the respect anyone who attains the highest level of their profession. I doubt any of the posters here have achieved as much.

I think they are very talented. I've heard some of the last album, and a few other songs from previous stuff, and their harmonies and singing are impeccable. Their music doesn't do it to me, but that's not for a lack of talent, but simply because it's too pop for my tastes.

If they want to take criticize Bush at the risk of alienating some people, I say fine. I respect that people are willing to have a spine and sing about stuff that they believe in. People should sing about what they want to sing about and be done with it.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Yeah, I think it IS a big deal.

What this is about is the brainwashing of America, and what now happens to any artist who speaks out against the politics of their demographic.

Chilling, really.

Terry D.

I'm sorry, that's not true.

Exactly what is chilling about having a No. 1 chart position. Big punishment there.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I mean, what's the big deal?

The big deal is that they have been black listed by country music radio and that there is an organized right wing attack on their career.

That a non-important country act could get black listed and that a group of religious/bush zealots could legally organize an effort to ruin them is news.

That despite the full frontal assault on them they have managed (mostly through the internet with Amazon.com and itunes) to create a demand for their product by the people is also newsworthy as it shows that Americans are not supporting the Dixie Chicks boycott.

I am not a DC fan, but I have heard the CD and it is pretty good. Rick Rubin has them almost rocking and it is worth a listen.

• Members

Originally posted by Jotown

That a non-important country act could get black listed and that a group of religious/bush zealots could legally organize an effort to ruin them is news.

Why should it be illegal for them to organize such an effort? Their detractors have a right to free speech same as they do.

People burned Beatles records and such after Lennon's "we're bigger than Jesus" remark, and it doesn't seem to have hurt their stature any - it did a good job of making the people doing the burning look foolish though. I think the campaign probably helps the DC as much as hurts it and ultimately, whether they gain or lose credibility will probably be decided by the quality of their music.

• Members

Lee, you are missing the bigger point. That a small group of people could literally take away their only means of getting their music out and in effect taking away their ability to make a living is a big deal. The beatles thing was different because it was much broader in scope.

This is a free speech issue at a time when free speech is being attacked and limited. I think that the reason so many news outlets are covering them is because it is news and they see it for what it is; a free speech issue.

Also a good publicist doesn't hurt.:D

• Members

Lee, you are missing the bigger point. That a small group of people could literally take away their only means of getting their music out and in effect taking away their ability to make a living is a big deal.

As you continued, "they" haven't succeeded in taking away the chicks voice, have "they"?

• Members

The big deal is that they have been black listed by country music radio and that there is an organized right wing attack on their career.

This makes me curious - just how many country stations have blacklisted them? A significant number? All of them? A tiny few? Half?

As for the "organized right wing attack" I think just about every public figure is on some right or left wingers enemies list. Doesn't make it right, of course, but enemies are part of the deal when you become a spokesperson for just about anything.

But I'd still like to know just how widespread the radio blacklisting has spread.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Billster:

There was some newsworthiness about the incident when it occurred: this was a one off, unscripted comment, made during a show in Europe. Because of the actions of a small organization who used the internet and the press in a very clever manner, the band made national news and attracted the scorn of the people presumed to be their core audience. At the time many people, including their supporters, thought that they were sunk and that would create a true chilling of artistic expression in the US. Instead, a counter movement organized and used many of the same means as their attackers to put the Dixie Chicks at the top of the charts.

That, regardless of your position on the war or on whether the Dixie Chicks would sound better if they always sang nekkid, is important, musically and politically.

That is a little different than the Brad and Jennifer break up or anything else on TV.

Don't worry, I'm sure that enough people will be senselessly slaughtered this week to get Time to print something more interesting. :( :( :(

• Members

Lee, you are missing the bigger point. That a small group of people could literally take away their only means of getting their music out and in effect taking away their ability to make a living is a big deal.

But... they didn't. :confused:

This is a free speech issue at a time when free speech is being attacked and limited. I think that the reason so many news outlets are covering them is because it is news and they see it for what it is; a free speech issue.

Also a good publicist doesn't hurt.
:D

And that's just it; I think the whole thing was basically a publicity stunt. I don't think anybody's free speech was ever threatened. The DC said some stuff about the administration that some people didn't like, which is their right. Said people got all pissed off and boycotted them or whatever... which is their right. Some other people who didn't like the boycott stage an anti-boycott and made "heroes" out of them. They get on the cover of Time, nobody gets arrested or censored, they'll probably make a bunch of money off of it.

And that's about it. I think it's silly and overblown and contrived personally, but whatever... if any of it made anybody actually think, then great.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

I think it's silly and overblown and contrived personally, but whatever... if any of it made anybody actually think, then great.

Let's hope so. But in either case, it is totally overblown and contrived.

The first time around, they knew that it would create a backlash. How could you not think so. The second time around, too, where it's in the songs...you know you're going to get a lot of press, both positive and negative. Publicity always helps. None of this would ever be any sort of surprise to a P.R. company.

And obviously, the group feels strongly enough about it to speak out against Bush and write about it in song. Great.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

And that's just it; I think the whole thing was basically a publicity stunt.

And that's about it. I think it's silly and overblown and contrived personally, but whatever... if any of it made anybody actually think, then great.

So, their comments weren

• Members

Originally posted by Rique

Well, you did say you thought it was contrived.

I did think the reaction was contrived, and them saying their livelihood was being threatened and all that. The music itself, I have no idea. They probably are sincere about not liking Bush but I just think they chose to use it to their advantage.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I mean, what's the big deal? They don't like Bush, said so, then did a song about what happened because they didn't like Bush and said so. Is this really such an earth-shaking big deal that they belong on the cover of freakin' Time magazine? I think not. Right now they're on Larry King, and the home page on AOL trumpets Dixie Chicks album back at No. 1. Is this what passes for news these days?

And I don't care about Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Denise Richards, Heather Locklear, any of them. Why do people spend any time whatsoever being interested in this kind of stuff?

I don't care about the Dixie Chicks either, because I don't really like their music.

But I do care about Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie because they're talented and entertain a lot of people including me. Don't care so much about the other folks on your list.

It's easy to be cynical about

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Tom Cruise is the new Michael Jackson.
:D:D

Would that Cruise was as shy as Jackson claims to be.

I have to say that BrittanyLips post had me looking for signs of abject irony... no, really, Britt, you gotta be kidding. You're calling Tom Cruise one of the most talented people on the planet?

I'm sorry. Everyone's tastes are different. There is no universal criteria for art. Yet -- in all seriousness -- I personally find that a disturbing statement.

Fred Astaire was talented. James Dean was talented. Bob Hope was talented. Zazu freakin' Pitts was talented.

Tom Cruise makes Rock Hudson look like Laurence Olivier.

• Members

For the record -- as much as I enjoy the Dixie Chicks music and writing, as much as I respect them for the decidedly uncommercial stands they've taken in opposition to the dictates of the Nashville/country radio oligopoly -- I really don't care who they're dating.

;)