nut files

mrbrown49

• Members

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for a place to buy nut slotting files of the proper width. I use D'addario .010s. Any good alternatives to stewmac?

I've used every type nut file on the planet..

The stew macs really are worth the bucks.

the tapered files are a close second. stew mac sells them too. or LMI or Allparts, or WD music

just google "guitar nut files" and see what pops up.

• Members

I bought a few from stew-mac and I've used them way more than I ever expected. Once I got them, I had no reason not to replace the nuts on a few of my guitars. I just finished making my own mandolin so I got to use them to make both a nut and bridge from scratch. Very useful tools!

• Members

I've gotten mine from Stew Mac and been very happy with all of them, but I feel I should point out that you don't necessarily have to shell out for a whole set. Particularly on the thicker files you can get more mileage out of them by rolling them side to side as you file to make wider slots (this also helps to prevent them sticking in their own slot if it's getting deep).

At the moment, I have a .016 (for high E, B and G string slots), a .032 (for D and sometimes A), and a .042 (for sometimes A and low E). These three get me by just fine, and I just got the .042; for a while I only had the .016 and the .032 and I still made it work.

Of course, more files will make it simpler and all that but if you're looking to save some money (I always am) you can get by with just a few carefully selected widths of files.

Another thing I should mention is that the gauged saws Stew Mac sells are really handy to have for trimming nut blanks and also for starting nut slots and even slotting for the thinner strings. I have the .010" one:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Saws/Gauged_Saws.html

and man, does it save me a lot of sanding and shaping. Cuts really smooth, too. :thu:

• Members

Warmouth. Very nice Japanese made set that will cover everything from 9's to 11's and a significant savings over Stew Mac. Twin cutting edges, eight files, .010", .013", .017", .024", .032", .036", .040" & .050". Full set is $64. Click here and scroll down all the way.

• Members

I use a scroll-saw blade for roughing in the slots, and a set of welding tip cleaners (looks like a very small rat tail files) for the finish work. The tip cleaners are $4 at Home Depot in the tools section.

I looked for those in two hardware stores and couldn't find them, and of course, the people working there had no idea what I was talking about. Perhaps i'll give that another shot as well.

• Members

Thanks for reply everyone. I think i'll order a set from stewmac.

Wait a second, you didn't give me a chance to respond.

I just picked up two sets from www.warmoth.com

they are cheaper than the pricing from StewMac

They seem a bit light-weight, but of course they have to be thin. I don't really have anything to compare them to in my own experience, and I think they'll do the job just fine for the home hobbyist who has to work on a but here and there.

Archived