Would you buy a guitar with body modifications

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
Say a few drilled holes or routed cavities under the pickguard?

:confused:

If the price were appropriately reduced to reflect it. I'm not a sufferer of OCD when it comes to guitar finish, and I've bought my share of less-than-perfect guitars, but always for a price that reflects the condition.

• Members

How do you fix deeper body scratches? Deeper then pick scratches but not all the way down to wood?

Got any pics? You can sometimes buff out scratches depending on how deep with a buffing wheel and some compounds. Some old fashion "elbow grease" can work if you dont have the wheel.What kind of finish is on it?

Stew-Mac sells that kind of product.

• Members

Got any pics? You can sometimes buff out scratches depending on how deep with a buffing wheel and some compounds. Some old fashion "elbow grease" can work if you dont have the wheel.What kind of finish is on it?

Stew-Mac sells that kind of product.

No pics.

Can I use higher end car care scratch removal products?

It's a polyester finish.

• Members

No pics.

It's a polyester finish.

"Technically" you can us car products. Some can hurt the finish though. I have not used it personally but I have read around that people use stuff by Meguiars. I know Fender has a polishing kit that contains Maguiars product.

Of course it all depends on how deep the scratch is. If it's too deep then you would need to take a dif' approach to dealing with it. You may even need to fill it.

• Members

No pics.

It's a polyester finish.

For this reason I alone I advocate using Nitrocellulose.

I don't even like Nitro that much, but it's much easier to deal with when stripping and fixing problems with, and it ages a lot nicer than polyurethane.

• Members

"Technically" you can us car products. Some can hurt the finish though. I have not used it personally but I have read around that people use stuff by Meguiars. I know Fender has a polishing kit that contains Maguiars product.

Of course it all depends on how deep the scratch is. If it's too deep then you would need to take a dif' approach to dealing with it. You may even need to fill it.

Here I took a picture last night.

• Members

That 'scratch' in no way affects the playability or tone of the guitar. Don't sweat it at all. And really, don't bother trying to 'fix' it, 'cause you'll spend a lot of time, and get it wrong, then spend a lot of money, and the guitar will STILL sound the same.

If the scratch bothers you enough that you'd spend $$$ to fix it, don't buy the guitar.

• Members

Not sure what is the scratch and what is reflection. Is the scratch that "jagged" line in the middle of the contour? Or the small white lines / marks?

From the pic' the jagged part looks too deep for any kind of scratch remover type stuff.

The small white lines/marks......the ones that are perpendicular to the edge of the body. I think the jagged line is a reflection......here's another:

Archived