Post your 1 all time favorite riff to play

GAS Man

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, it's AWESOME that you mention that song because it has some history with me. You know how you have some song from your past that runs in your head for years and years and years and years and you don't know what it is? Well that happened to me with Pictures of Matchstick Men. I mean, I figured it out finally more than a decade ago and went to a "Golden Odies" store to buy the 45, but I was going nuts for at least a decade and a half trying to figure out what this song in my head was. I was even playing it on guitar (more or less) for years without knowing WTF it was. I was so glad to finally free up some RAM space in my grey matter when I finally figured out what song it was.

There's another one in my head these days that I don't know WTF it is. It's even older; and unlike POMM, I probably couldn't play enough of it for someone to help me out with it. I think it will set the record for me for unknown song that is driving me crazy for the longest time. I can only figure out about 3 of its chords and none of its lead. It's just too old and dates back to the early 60s I'd guess.

Weird when that happens.

But when I play POMM, it drives my wife up the walls. Actually that makes it all the more fun for me. :lol::evil:

• Members
Funny, that's another one I've played for years. We must be of a similar generation. I'm a 57 Classic.
;)
Sometimes I'll be goofing around with "Hang On Sloopy and then it suddenly morphs into Louie Louie or vice versa.
:lol:

Yeah I was gonna post Louie Louie too. How about Wipeout?The Surfaris's version was always my favorite.

MtIyjdmlHCs&feature=related

• Members

Hrmm... I'd say my go to piece is the intro to Fade To Black by Metallica, but I play it slower and a bit bluesier. Also, the lower half of the twin harmony bit about 3 minutes into Mr Crowley. Other than that, I guess Walk, Don't Run and the rhythm parts of Sultans of Swing. If a guitar doesn't have my attention by the time I'm through those, I usually put it back down.

• Members

Always end up playing this riff at some point, it's Line of Fire by Journey.....also check out the killer solo, especially the straight 16ths starting at about 3:44, yea! (oh, sweet guitar too) :D

the other favorite of mine, is Southern Steel by Steve Morse, ...can't play that one though!

Archived