Post your 1 all time favorite riff to play

GAS Man

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if i could play it well, i might say "Miserlou"

I struggle with Miserlou too. The consistency of the vibrato picking is hard to do without having the uber thick strings Dale uses and having the strings upside down probably helps a bit too. I do fine on the low E, but the trem picking on the wimpy high E is where I usually get tangled up a bit.

But yeah, love Hank Marvin. Apache used to be in my repertoire. I've forgotten some bits of it now.

• Members

It changes a lot for me. But some of the "go-to" riffs that i play when i pick up a guitar:

* intro to Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry

Those Chuck Berry doublestops end up in all my soloing just about. Definitely my fave rock riff.

One I use to check guitars out with is the intro to "Roundabout" by Yes. It has those harmonics to begin, so it checks intonation, then goes to classical-style open chord fingerpicking, then chugs into barre chords when the vocal comes in.

Within 30 seconds you can tell a lot about a guitar by playing that snippet.

For rhythm, Baba O'Riley and the intro to Pinball Wizard are instantly recognizable and great fun. Also, and don't laugh, the rhythm intro to "What I Like About You," with that 7th fret E-chord with the sus4th added, and then sliding down to the E-A-D open chords is really fun too. Ooh, and of course "Sedated" by the Ramones. And don't forget the half-step modulation for the last bit. I've noticed that a lot of songs I like do that.

For easy fingerpicking, the intro to the Youngbloods' "Get Together" is easy and immediately recognizable. A new one I learned over the weekend like that is the intro to Tom Petty's "Here Comes My Girl," where the vocal is spoken for quite awhile. The gist of it is just an open A chord, then the fretted strings slid up a whole step, but leaving the open strings open, back and forth. So simple, but try it, it sound boss.

• Members

Those Chuck Berry doublestops end up in all my soloing just about. Definitely my fave rock riff.

One I use to check guitars out with is the intro to "Roundabout" by Yes. It has those harmonics to begin, so it checks intonation, then goes to classical-style open chord fingerpicking, then chugs into barre chords when the vocal comes in.

Within 30 seconds you can tell a lot about a guitar by playing that snippet.

For rhythm, Baba O'Riley and the intro to Pinball Wizard are instantly recognizable and great fun. Also, and don't laugh, the rhythm intro to "What I Like About You," with that 7th fret E-chord with the sus4th added, and then sliding down to the E-A-D open chords is really fun too. Ooh, and of course "Sedated" by the Ramones. And don't forget the half-step modulation for the last bit. I've noticed that a lot of songs I like do that.

For easy fingerpicking, the intro to the Youngbloods' "Get Together" is easy and immediately recognizable. A new one I learned over the weekend like that is the intro to Tom Petty's "Here Comes My Girl," where the vocal is spoken for quite awhile. The gist of it is just an open A chord, then the fretted strings slid up a whole step, but leaving the open strings open, back and forth. So simple, but try it, it sound boss.

I just recently learned (if you can call it that, as it's so easy) "Sedated" and a couple of other Ramones tunes. Always a good way to test out some chunky power chord stuff.

• Members
I guessing early Fleetwood Mac "The Blues Period" Great clip you found.
:thu:

Open tuning?

Yes that version was early Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer on the slide.
I use Open E tuning for it which it appears that Spencer does too. I believe Robert Johnson used Open G on his original recording of it back in the early 20th century.

Archived