EL84's and 12AX7's. Which brand do you use?

hardtdc

• Members

I have a Vintage Club 30 (96') model that I acquired about 5-6months ago. I recently noticed that it wants to cut out some (fade in and out) on the clean channel. So I figured either a power or pre-amp tube is going out. It has the original tubes in it and I figured I might as well put a quad each of new pre-amp and power tubes. I've been researching the different brands and without spending high dollar for old stock ones, what do you guys recommend for each? It appears that EI and TAD are some of the nicer ones mentioned but I'm unsure about the TAD's. From what I read, they run "hot" and the VC30's have the tubes placed in a way that they tend to heat up a lot anyway. Any suggestions on which brand and tonally how the react/longevity would be appreciated.:wave:

• Members

JJ EL84's are some of the best EL84's going. Sound great and robust. I hear the TAD's are good too, but they cost quite a bit more. I'll stick with JJ's.

As far as 12AX7's go I prefer the Chinese ones. Just my personal taste though. I hear good things about the Tung Sol reissues, but lately I hear of them failing on people. I just avoid anything made by Sovtek myself.

Of course I ran into some old RCA 12AX7's in an old tube organ and grabbed those. Great sounding tubes. You may want to go the NOS route for 12AX7's. Cost more, but 12AX7's should last decades so you'll get your money's worth in the long run. You will go through EL84's in 6-9 months or so, so I wouldn't spend the money for NOS.

• Members

There really is no one tube for everyone. I've been experimenting with tubes in my Classic 30. I've run jj's in the pre amp, i've run eh in the preamp, i've used mixtures of nos tubes with current production types. So tubes are something that can tweak your sound. But not as much as a new speaker can. Right now I'm trying to increase the clean headroom somewhat in my amp and smooth out the gain channel some. I'm using a GE NOS 5751 in V1 with a Tung Sol in V2 (dirty channel), and a NOS RCA in v3. For some tube suggestions it has been written earlier to try dougstubes.com or if you want some NOS tubes try kcanostubes.com. I've dealt with both and have been more than satisfied with both.

• Members

I recently snagged a used C30 that came with JJ's in the power section and EH in the pre-amp section. Sounds pretty cool. I A-B'd it with my buddies C30 that runs GT's in the power section and The JJ's give the C30 a lot of "chime" in comparison. I am sticking with the JJ's for the power section of this amp.

• Members

I really like Ei's, if you can still get ahold of suitable ones. JJ's, ok. EH, a little better. I'd like to try some TADs sometime. As for 12ax7's, EH, Tungsol, and 9th gen Chinese are all ok to me.

What do you mean by "finding suitable ones" concerning the EI's? I see them advertised as being available from a couple of suppliers, but is there a certain stock type to look for that is better than others?

• Members

What do you mean by "finding suitable ones" concerning the EI's? I see them advertised as being available from a couple of suppliers, but is there a certain stock type to look for that is better than others?

Ei had some quality control problems I hear. Their tubes were great if you found some good ones that actually worked. Which is probably why they are out of business now.

• Members

Well, you want them to fall within and area that your amp is designed for. And I believe that the Ei stuff that is out there is all there is going to ever be. I got my last set from Doug. He evidently bought a whole pile of them, in good values.

Archived