How many guitars do you have and do you play live?

Beckman

• Members

After over 40 years of playing, I'm down to only one, believe it or not: A Fender Strat w/factory tremolo. It has a natural ash body, RW board, tortoise pg and backplate and DiMarzio Area 58/58/61 combo. It is wired with a five way toggle, master volume and tone, and a pot to dial in the remaining combinations of the pickups which the five way toggle doesn't. The knobs, pickup covers, etc. are creme. It does everything I require a guitar to do and so, I decided I simply didn't need anything else. Believe it or not, GAS attacks left me years ago. See what happens when you get old?

Oh, and yes, I do play live.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too many guitars (about 75) and no, don't play live. :cry: (didn't really start to learn the instrument in earnest until I was about 25, 25 years ago)

There tends to be a general correlation with the more someone gigs out, the more they tend to not have numerous guitars. Lots of exceptions of course (and many of those exceptions are HCEG members), and then also, of course, a rock star might have a castle full of them,

but

1) Working musicians often can't afford the excessive indulgence.

2) Working musicians think of their guitars more as tools and prefer the perfect tool over lots of pretty objects

This topic needs the results tabulated on a XY graph with a slope intercept. :lol:

• Members

Too many guitars (about 75) and no, don't play live.
:cry:
(didn't really start to learn the instrument in earnest until I was about 25, 25 years ago)

There tends to be a general correlation with the more someone gigs out, the more they tend to
not
have numerous guitars. Lots of exceptions of course (and many of those exceptions are HCEG members), and then also, of course, a rock star might have a castle full of them,

but

1) Working musicians often can't afford the excessive indulgence.

2) Working musicians think of their guitars more as tools and prefer
the
perfect tool over lots of pretty objects

This topic needs the results tabulated on a XY graph with a slope intercept.
:lol:

When this post hits the crapper, I will look it up and make a curve. Maybe we can see a correlation. So far, most posters seem to play somewhere out of the house.

• Members

I have 7 guitars. I play live A LOT. I currently have an original rock band, a cover band and I work as sideman for a pop/rock singer. Then I play at church every Sunday morning too.

So between all these things, I am playing live around 3 times a week and have practice everyday.

As far as making money from it goes: the original band is either no money or sometimes even pay-to-play (have to sell tickets etc)... the cover band does make a little $$, average $50 per night per member. The singer does not really pay for anything except she covers all expenses with rehearsal space, recordings etc, the church does give me a monthly salary, which is very low, but it helps with gas etc...

I do it mostly for the love of it, but I am considering cutting some of these projects and focusing on just 1 or 2, probably the original band and the church.

• Members

4 Electrics, 2 acoustics (that I never play). I play in bars (in a 3 piece band) about 4 times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less... not playing out at all in December (until NYE)... sucks.

I usually bring at least 2 guitars and usually 3 when I play out.

• Members

18 electrics, 2 electric basses, 1 acoustic guitar, 1 acoustic 12-string, 1 banjo, 1 mandolin, 1 ukelele

I'm nominally in 3 bands, but each only plays a handfull of times a year (each plays orignal music written by a different principal vocalist/writer). I previously also played guitar/bass in church for about a decade and would like to get back into that, but am currently between churches.

Archived