Angela.com guitar and amp parts

Hoddy

• Members

I don't know if you guys know about angela.com but they stock a good supply of Fender guitar parts and other parts for amps and such...I've been a regular buyer from them for the past several years, some of the things I've bought from them are all the electronics to rebuild a beat to hell Strat, this includeds pots, caps, pickups, etc. plus a reissue 57/62 Fender bridge and a mint green pickgaurd...all the electronics to use in a Telecaster I was building and lots of other stuff, they have always provided good and timely service. Yesterday I couldn't find the allen wrench to adjust the saddles on my strat, it has the bridge I bought from angela.com so I emailed them and asked if they sold them. This morning I had a reply..all it said was that it would be more economical if I purchased the wrenches from their Ebay store...no link or name to their ebay store was in the email...I had no idea what their ebay name was but after about 30 minutes of searching on Ebay I found it...then their store was divided up into subcategories such as strat parts, fender parts, tele parts, fender accessories so after about another hour of searching all those categories I couldn't find any of the allen wrenches for sale. So I emailed angela.com back and told them that I didn't want to sound rude, but a link to their store would have been nice and then after locating their store on my own and searching it for an hour I couldn't find a listing for the allen wrenches. I then told them that I look for them elsewhere and thanks for nothing. To me that is no way to treat a prospective customer...like I said, I have never had problems with them in the past, but I will no do business with them again and if any of you are considering using them I'd give it a second thought...they do not seem to value their customers very much.

• Members

Don't expect them to kiss your ass. It's a small shop, and the owner is curmudgoenly. Steve, is his name, I think.

I know you're irritated but that might be too much to expect from them/him.

I don't let it stop me from buying there. He has a good eye for product. Never a ripoff, but you don't get coddled.

This is pretty typical of a lot of the vendors that we use. Small one or two man shops that are inundated with email requests.

I once got a reply from Reranch that he was just too busy to answer my questions. Sure, I didn't like it, but I've been in these vendors shoes, and it is very hard to keep up. Consider that.

Just trying to shed some perspective.

• Members

Don't expect them to kiss your ass. It's a small shop, and the owner is curmudgoenly. Steve, is his name, I think.

I don't let it stop me from buying there. He has a good eye for product. Never a ripoff, but you don't get coddled.

This is pretty typical of a lot of the vendors that we use. Small one or two man shops that are inundated with email requests.

I once got a reply from Reranch that he was just too busy to answer my questions. Sure, I didn't like it, but I've been in these vendors shoes, and it is very hard to keep up. Consider that.

When I sent him my email in which I said that I didn't want to sound rude but a link to his ebay store would have been nice and that after searching and wasting a lot of time in finally finding his ebay store and then searching again and wasting a lot of time looking at all his categories to no avail, and that I guess he didn't have any of the wrenches and that I would look elsewhere...his reply was 'Happy Holiday'...no effort on his part to see if the had the wrenches in stock or to help me with finding them..what a prick.

• Members

There is no excuse for poor customer service. Businesses like these either go out of business, or they hang on by a thread forever.

• Members

There is no excuse for poor customer service. Businesses like these either go out of business, or they hang on by a thread forever.

The sad part is that I just got another strat body (two tone sunburst) and a MIJ 57 reissue neck that I needed everything else to make a guitar with...tuners, pickguard, pickups, bridge, jack, electronics, neck plate etc...I was ready to order the parts from them at the same time I ordered the allen wrenches, and if he would have dealt with me in a polite manner and actually offered some assistance I would have ordered these parts from him whether or not had had the allen wrenches...his shipping is pretty high, that's why I asked about the wrenches, I wanted to order everything in one order.

• Members

No offense, but if you can't figure out that you can get your butt to a local hardware store and buy a whole friggin' set of allen wrenches for less than what it would cost to buy a specific one and have it sent to you...
:cop:

I went to all our local stores today...none of them have one that small.

• Members

Oops! :embarrassed:

:D

I've got three or four allen wrenches that are just a tid too big...I figure I can take my dremel with a grinding wheel and taper the six sides a bit until it will fit the screws. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.:cool:

• Members

That Angela guy is the soup nazi of the guitar world. Make sure you've got your {censored} straight before you try to place your order or you'll get yelled at. I'm lucky enough to live in Maryland so I can pay crazy shipping AND sales tax! Hooray for me!!!

• Members

At least he took the time to respond with anything at all.

Really.

He shouldn't have bothered. Now that I know what to expect, I'll never deal with them.

You never know what a customer buying an allen wrench might mean to you in the future.

• Members

Wow that's a shock-

Hey steve's been like this for what- 25 years now?? But if you get him on the phone and you need something weird he'll have it- Whether he'll sell it to you is another story though...

Back when I was building amps he was a great resource for hard to find parts.

Jay

• Members

Sears has them and the quality sets at the average hardware store also.

.050 of an inch. Sears would be Craftsman. If you go to a hardware store look for the Eklind allen wrench set made in USA.

As for Angela, I'm surprised you got an email answer at all. Some folks get a kick out of having a rep as difficult and Steve M certainly is.

• Members

Sears has them and the quality sets at the average hardware store also.

.050 of an inch. Sears would be Craftsman. If you go to a hardware store look for the Eklind allen wrench set made in USA.

As for Angela, I'm surprised you got an email answer at all. Some folks get a kick out of having a rep as difficult and Steve M certainly is.

Thanks...so .050 inch will fit the saddle screws on a Fender reissue 57/62 vintage bridge?

• Members

He probably just recognised you as a southern liberal hater and decided to give you the runaround.

:poke:

;)

I've bought stuff from Angela and they were good value even shipped to the UK. This may be one of those customer issues where what you want is too low value to be viable, but as a small trader he can't actually bear to say "no".

• Members

Thanks...so .050 inch will fit the saddle screws on a Fender reissue 57/62 vintage bridge?

I'm pretty sure. If you do a search you might get confirmation or check the fender site for maintenence info. This question has come up before.

• Members

They are a little different, that's for sure. It's a classic case of where somebody's got more business than they really want, which is really common.

Much of this could have been avoided by simply putting a link to their eBay store in their e-mail address. When he replied, you would have automatically received it. Also, good customer service may involve telling you that you could simply purchase it elsewhere/locally for less. I do it all the time, as there are some things that aren't worth my time or my customer's.

• Members

I'm pretty sure. If you do a search you might get confirmation or check the fender site for maintenence info. This question has come up before.

I went by an Ace Hardware Store today during lunch..the sell individual allen wrenches so you don't have to buy a whole set....they had the .050 wrenches for 25 cents each...I bought ten of them.:D Thanks for your help. Steve from Angela can kiss my ass, he'll never get a dime of my business again.:cool:

• Members

Thing is, as far as I know Angela's Instruments doesn't carry allan wrenches. That certainly isn't the kind of thing they normally sell. They are a specially store for hard to find parts and electroinics. My guess is the response the OP got was semi-automated. He probably scans hundreds of emails and those that seem to be off-base he sends a standard reply: see our ebay store - which, by the way, takes about 30 seconds to find, and another minute to notice they don't have the wrenches.

• Members

It's been awhile since I bought from Angela; they are legendary in the amp world, worked there in the '80's.

Them two general rules of thumb are:

1.) Don't deal with Steve, pray his wife picks up the phone. She is more personable.

2.) Don't place small orders, the shipping just isn't good; keep a list and place a large order when you are ready. If you only need one part from time to time, small dealers are often not the way to go.

Archived