Is this fake??

FUBTAG

• Members

Fake.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productImages/usa/thumbs_and_details/_Guitars/Les%20Paul%20Series/Classic/headstock.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01011201040001030120080120ef2ebe5287fc60d70b00cfe3.jpg

Headstock looks completely wrong to me, and why don't they show the bottom of the truss rod cover (because it had 2 screws there, that's why!) They've also carefully NOT shown the height adjustment screws on the TOM bridge, but even in those fuzzy images I think they're the large diameter metric import type.

• Members

From what's shown in the pictures it looks real. Like he^ pointed out, they could not be showing certain things on purpose, but things like the pickup switch, green trapezoids, the inlaid pickguard, and the knob spacing (all things fakes usually get wrong) look good to me. I don't think there's any reason to believe it's a fake.

But even so, don't risk it if you're not sure. It's not worth getting hosed like that for a less than amazing deal anyway.

• Members

Fake.

Headstock looks completely wrong to me, and why don't they show the bottom of the truss rod cover (because it had 2 screws there, that's why!) They've also carefully NOT shown the height adjustment screws on the TOM bridge, but even in those fuzzy images I think they're the large diameter metric import type.

Yeah -- It seemed very 'off' to me... and I am not even a Gibson (Gibsun) guy....

• Members
IDK, something about the headstock just doesnt quite look right, plus he says *1960 classic*

i thought that there were no Lp's made in '60
:idk:

'60 was the last year until '68 or summat. IIRC all of the Les Paul Classics have "1960" on the pickguard.

• Members

Fake.

Headstock looks completely wrong to me, and why don't they show the bottom of the truss rod cover (because it had 2 screws there, that's why!)

Those are the first things that I noticed. Although it could be just be the photo (the angle it was taken, or maybe he stretched/squished it to fit).

I would ask him to send a photo of the serial number, as well as an additional one showing the entire headstock (truss and nut included). If he balks, then it's likely bogus.

• Members

That's real. All the details for an LP Classic are there.

LP's were made in 1960. They changed to the SG Shape in 61.

Classics have the snot green inlays, "1960" on the pickguard, 500T/498R pups, and have "Classic" on the truss cover and the headstock decal. The headstock shape is right along with the correct bridge and correct knob placement.

$1450 is a little steep IMO. $1200 would be more in line.

Archived